• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:New to me are the bike and sidecar. Other than that a lot of small hobbies and interests ranging from soccer, American Indian art, fishing, mowing pasture, family and church.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I recently purchased a Ural sidecar along with a BMW R/60 from a friend.  Bike has not been on the road for 10 years, sidecar maybe 20.  I have cleaned up the sidecar and love it, waiting for new rubber.  Cannot find a serial or id number on it to be able to order needed shocks and hub cap.  I do not know the year other than he bought it in Iowa in the 1980's.  Where can I find a model or I.D. number?  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

#2 MotoJ

MotoJ

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Ol' arn

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:36 AM

Hi Stewart, congrats on your new rig!

Photos would be much more helpful, to us and any potential parts sellers.
Neither of my sidecars have a serial number that I've found, but certain details can peg a model to the range of years of manufacture. If you know that, the members here could better direct you to sources for parts. Newer stuff is available here in the USA, older stuff may require purchase overseas...
Famous last words:
Hey! Hold my beer and watch this.......

#3 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

What MotoJ said:
Ural sidecars do not have serial numbers.
Photos should do the trick for this crowd here.
~RN

#4 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:10 PM

Pictures please!

#5 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Interests:New to me are the bike and sidecar. Other than that a lot of small hobbies and interests ranging from soccer, American Indian art, fishing, mowing pasture, family and church.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 02:00 PM

I have 4 pictures on my desk top that would love to be posted to here.  However, I am clueless how to do it into this space.  Please help with instructions, copy and paste does not work and I do not see "attachment" anywhere and do not see how to put them into my information.  sorry.

#6 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Side question.  In spending time looking through the gallery pictures I do not see a "hub cap" on the side car tire, but I do see a hub cap on the spare.  I do have a "hub cap" on my spare, obviously it locks down the tire for me, but, when I went to clean up the bike I did not see one on the tire itself so I figured it has been lost.  My guess is today, that the "hub" on the spare is functional but Ural did not put on on the tire itself.  Correct?

#7 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 03 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostStewart, on 03 June 2014 - 04:05 PM, said:

Side question.  In spending time looking through the gallery pictures I do not see a "hub cap" on the side car tire, but I do see a hub cap on the spare.  I do have a "hub cap" on my spare, obviously it locks down the tire for me, but, when I went to clean up the bike I did not see one on the tire itself so I figured it has been lost.  My guess is today, that the "hub" on the spare is functional but Ural did not put on on the tire itself.  Correct?

Stewart:
The "Hub Cap" holding the spare tire in place on the trunk lid is only for that purpose.  There is a different snap-on cover for the sidecar wheel hub.
Do an internet search for "Ural sidecar wheel hub cap" and many images of options will show up, along with dealers to purchase from.
Hopefully, someone here might have a spare to share.
~RN

#8 MotoJ

MotoJ

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

Hi Stewart,

As for posting pics, once you are in a Reply To This Topic box, click on the lower right "More Reply Options" button. On the lower left should now appear "Attach Files" with "Choose Files" button underneath. You should be able to take it from there. You may have to downsize pics if they are too large...
Famous last words:

#9 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 10:23 PM

Thanks, MotoJ.
Now I'm instructed too.
~RN

#10 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hope these four pictures help you all.

Attached Files

#11 MotoJ

MotoJ

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Wow, that's a great find, Stewart- congrats!

My best guess is a 1960s car off a Ural M62 or M63, guessing by the frame, lights and fender. Actually, the tail-light looks to be off a Dnepr.
The frame has the rounded section at the step, and no leaf springs. Earlier cars, like off an M72 and M61, had a triangular portion at the step, as well as leaf springs, and a cylindrical forward fender light. The wheel was on a tortion bar or was rigid, with a hoop frame. The later frames, like yours, had a swing arm and a shock. I can't see from the pics, but your car has a shock, yes?

You also have a bottlecap wheel, which didn't start until the late 50s, IIRC.

It's hard to say exactly, because parts are so interchangeable that most bikes and cars aren't original. The Soviets used up surplus parts from earlier models on newer models, so bikes and cars often weren't correct from the factory, and subsequent owners replaced parts with whatever was at hand that would fit.

Anyway, that's a really nice car. What are you going to pair it with? Are you keeping the R60?
Famous last words:

#12 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

I believe is a M63 sidecar.

#13 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:49 PM

Just got off the phone with the guy who sold it to me along with the BMW R60 that it was paired with.  He narrowed it down to purchasing it new in Iowa from a dealer in '74. '75, or '76.  He has not done anything to it.  I still have the original tires on it.  He used it occasionally and not since mid 1980's.  It had been garaged it's entire life.  It does have one shock, and two rubber "shocks", for me to replace.  It least it makes sense to me that after all this tme they should need replacing.  So, from what you said, my car could be pretty exciting, since it's a one owner (pre-me) and no work done on or to it.

Any and all ideas and help are encouraged so I can get this old iron back on the road.

#14 Stewart

Stewart

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 02:50 PM

M63 - based on the 1974 - 76 info above, does that make sense?

#15 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostStewart, on 05 June 2014 - 02:50 PM, said:

M63 - based on the 1974 - 76 info above, does that make sense?

I think so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sidecar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users