6 replies to this topic

#1 stevebuffington

stevebuffington

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:52 PM

Our 2012 Patrol will not idle when it gets hot.  It idles fine when cold but as soon as it warms up the idle drops off at lights and such.  Starts right back up and runs fine except it will not idle until I shut it off and cool it down.  Our dealer has replaced the diaphragms in the carbs because he though since it was a left over when we bought it that they stiffened from sitting.  That didn't fix it.  They are stumped and so is the factory.  Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially if you've experienced this and got it fixed!  I want my bike up and running so we can ride.

#2 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:37 PM

A few things that can cause this:

1. Cracks in the rubber carb mounts. Lets in air at idle and messes up idle. Also makes the bike run lean and hot, and it will take longer to warm up.
2. Carbs out of sync with each other.
3. Valve adjustment out of tolerance, believe it or not. Messes up air flow at low speeds.

Have you drained the float bowls to check for dirt or condensation? There is a drain screw on the bottom.

#3 JPanyon

JPanyon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 10:04 PM

What Vance said, Plus....
look for a weak spot in your ignition wiring, such as the hot lead connector to the ignition, Hi-tension leads loose or over tightened and pinched.  Plug caps not firmly attached to the plug wires,  sparks appearing on the outside of the plugs, etc.  Also, a weak spark coil, or a misfiring Hall Effect ignition trigger.  Any of the above will be way more noticeable at idle speeds.

#4 C5Paul

C5Paul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My family, collecting motorcycles, and riding motorcycles/snowmobiles.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

My first thought was the coil. At idle the saturation time would be high and I've had that exact thing happen in the past my dual sport bike.
If you have a different coil give it a try, or I would be willing to send you my old one. That is an easy item to change before swapping out the entire ignition.

Plus what Vance and JPanyon said ^^^^

#5 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 30 June 2014 - 11:52 PM

Remember:
Since it's a Ural, first look for the simplest item being the cause of the problem!
Next: Look at whatever was last touched.
Those two categories usually solve 95% of any challenges I'd had on our Urals.

So, the first item I'd look for is air leaks in the rubber carb mounts, as Vance recommended.
~RN

#6 DneprJohn

DneprJohn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:God, family, motorcycles, military vehicles, music, good BBQ, swordplay, guns.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:30 AM

I had this problem, too.  Ended-up being the air filter dirty.  Cleaned it, and everything was fine.
John Timbes AKA "DneprJohn"
'01 Dnepr MT-11 with 750 Ural engine/trans, "Vaya"
This "NORMAL" you speak of, doesn't sound very fun...

#7 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:00 AM

Generally I find that if the idle rises, then there is definitely an intake leak.
Dropping idle...Cool! Just run the idle higher...let it go down once warmed-up...Unless you want it to idle like the [misinformed] Harley Kids.
Otherwise...I would be looking at the Enrichers...Make sure they Seat when off...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users