• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

I was recently riding out here in South Dakota between Sturgis and Pierre. A distance of 270 or more kilometers. About 64 km out of town, I ran out of gas. I tried to turn to the reserve but there just didn't seem to be one. How does that work? Thanks.

#2 BigJames

BigJames

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles, sidecars

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

Normally, reserve is with the longer end of the handle on the petcock pointing up, on a modern Ural. Mine lasts 12 miles... However, on older Urals and Dneprs it might be the other way around or there might not be one at all. Standards you say? Sure they have standards, there are plenty of them!

When on the road my real reserve is that 2.5 gallon (10L) gas can I carry!
2011 Ural Retro
1995/1979 Bural  Sportsman/R100
1988 HD FLHS/Watsonian Cambridge
1951 Servicar

1976 BMW R90/6 Motorvation Royale (Sold Aug 18, 2014)

#3 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,698 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 28 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

With the petcock in the off position pull the hose from the carb and either connect that adapter that came with your tire pump to the hose or put it in your mouth so you can blow into it (your choice, make sure you don't inhale!) - open the petcock to reserve and pump air or blow - you should hear bubbles and when you remove the hose from the air fuel should come out of it. Since the pickup is in the bottom of that tube the petcock is connected to dirt and junk settle on top of it and often clog the hole.

Repeat the process for the run position in case you misread your petcock markings, won't hurt anyway as it might clear the screen a bit.

Note - if blowing fixes it the dirt is still in there, the problem will come back sooner or later. The best way to clear it is to drain the tank and remove the petcock assembly and clean it off and replace it.

#4 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 09:40 AM

If its any consolation, a sportster tank, doesn't even have a main tank,...that's bigger than a car reserve, and for random try a Yamaha V/max  with its electronic reserve of about a mile!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users