#1 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi folks in Dneprland!....
Will an alternator from a new ural 750(2004) fit a Dnepr??? 650??
I know it goes in the "hole" but was wondering about depth of mesh ?
Just before i i break anything...by discovering they dont mesh, etc,etc,
Regards

#2 uraltourist

uraltourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

No, the shaft is too big for the Dnepr gear. Yeah, I was bummed too...   Check out the Denso adapter thread,   http://www.russianir...opic=15068&st=0 166e from Germany, uses easy to find cush drive Kawasaki ND alternator....it will end your charging issues.

#3 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

Well it went in and it works!!...gear was the same , as i had a spare for the new lecky start one i bought,....
However didnt measure  depth of mesh,,
and was hopin someone could tell me before i pull it out again!
No excessive noise, charges well, but i cannot be sure without measuring as to wether the teeth are fully engaged with the drive cog...
Should have done it when i fitted it...but it was gettin dark, and i was determined not to leave it not workin, etc,etc,
Rushin the russian again! cheers for the quickness of your response.....

#4 uraltourist

uraltourist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

Could you send pics? I tried to buy one of the new Ural alternators for my MT16 some time ago and was told it wouldn't fit because of the drive gear by one of the well respected dealers on this list.....It would have saved a lot of time and effort if it will work.

#5 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:11 AM

Ural generator drive gear is quite a bit shorter than a Dnepr one and will only mesh to a Dnepr motor by between 1/3 and 1/2 of the width of a Dnepr drive gear. This puts unnecessary strain on the gear and can eventually shatter it . Better to stick with the Dnepr generator gear on a Dnepr motor if you don't want to risk engine damage.

The above applies to g424 genny's, not sure about newer models but presume it still applies, better to check?

#6 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:09 PM

Oh no!!  I,ve gone and done it now.....
Was worried about how far the gear meshed into the drive gear and as you say, up to a half....
However....
The Dnepr gear is longer!!
The shaft is exactly the same size!
And this all fits onto the ural alternator without a problem!
It charges much better, it sounds much quieter,
So the bike ..an electric start 750 ural(2004)
and the recipient my 1994 dnepr MT 11
The alternator fits perfectly!  and works great!! :smile:

#7 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:55 PM

If you have a Dnepr genny drive gear fitted then I can't see there being a problem. Please post a photo of the generator in position on the Dnepr motor . i know that some of the earlier 750 electric start Urals had generator problems and it would be nice to know which one you are using on your Dnepr.

#8 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 09:45 PM

View Postdneprlover, on 05 August 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

If you have a Dnepr genny drive gear fitted then I can't see there being a problem. Please post a photo of the generator in position on the Dnepr motor . i know that some of the earlier 750 electric start Urals had generator problems and it would be nice to know which one you are using on your Dnepr.

+1
I wanna see too!!! Never know when one may need to "update"
RP

#9 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

On the old dnepr it was the one with the metal(chrome) end case, and i replaced it with the one with the plastic end case, with the single wire to battery positive and the energising wire from the ingnition feed....
As this is self regulated i also tookoff the old regulator unit....
Will post a photo...soon as i can download onto this Pc!

#10 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:48 PM

This is the one i fitted!....Attached File  Ural dnepr.JPG   57.78K   45 downloads
and this is the one it got fitted too!Attached File  2012-08-171627191.jpg   432.04K   46 downloads

#11 winterh111

winterh111

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 07:51 AM

OK, I'm new at this; so here goes. The owners manual shows how to lube the speedometer cable; the question is. how do you get to it. There are no directions for removing the speedometer.

#12 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 04:19 AM

Well yes you should...copperslip being a good grease as it doesn't "creep".... Remove 10mm screw at side of drive on Gearbox...remove drive cable and locating piece... Pull  flat metal drive piece and cable should come out....Leave a foot or so at speedo  head end....if it fluctuates , could be cable routing, and could be cable getting floppy and old....

#13 Vance Blosser

Vance Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Good Science Fiction. Doing maintenance on older vehicles. Riding the Ural. Unusual vehicles.

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

To remove the speedo:

Remove the headlight bucket, 1 bolt on each side. Note location of spacers and rubber washers. Unplug headlight and set aside.
You should see the speedometer sitting right there. Unscrew the cable and once loose tug it away from the speedometer.
Pull the speedo lamps out, lay aside.
You should see the  trip reset cable going into the speedometer, held in by a tiny cotter pin. Carefully pull it, then pull the cable loose. Make sure to catch the washers and felt spacers.
There are 2 small (8mm) nuts to remove on the clip that holds the speedo in. Again, careful with washers and such. Pull the bracket down and out.
The speedometer should now lift out.
Assembly is the reverse of above.

If you want to brighten your speedometer for night use, look in the lamp holes and see if there are green filters in place. You can punch them out for added brightness.

Hope this helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users