11 replies to this topic

#1 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:16 AM

Posters who open a topic to ask a question, then just abandon it and never return to the thread.

What do you think? Ignorance? Bad manners?  No view? Not bothered?

I tend to put them on my ignore list so I don't waste time on items which might well not be read.

#2 JustTroItIn

JustTroItIn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:53 AM

When it's someone with a low post count, I assume they may not be familiar with forum etiquette or they had no intention to be a part of the community and just wanted a quick answer.  When it's a veteran member, I have no clue.
==========
Just Tro It In & See What Happens
1980 Dnepr MT10-36
1971 BMW R60/5
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
2005 GasGas 250EC
1993 Husqvarna TE-350

#3 fatbob

fatbob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles & sidecars; guns; reading; music; model building; fishing; small cars

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

What would you have people do with unanswered questions?  What about answers that are so childish that they do not deserve comment?  And what about British Standard Whitworth?

#4 PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Vintage Shaving TheShaveDen.com
    Quad skating and Roller Derby
    Hiking and camping

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

I've seen stuff like that before too. It's generally people new to forums or (and this one is annoying as hell) people who have asked the same question on multiple forums.

Edit: Well I guess I just came out of the lurking closet. I could have sworn I'd posted here before :) Must have been Soviet Steeds or some other site.
Ryan Foster

#5 Duke of Ural

Duke of Ural

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

As a new member, this issue to good to know . I think I have my posts set-up to send me an email when someone responds. But I still look at the website on a daily bases if I am not traveling. Some people want to to be involved. Some just want to vent.

Edit: I've been here long enough now to plead some guilt about abandoned threads. I don't believe I've asked any questions which I did not follow up on for answers, but I have posted other comments that I subsequently forgot about only to find it later. I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in this manner. Due to health issues and medication my short-term memory is not what it used to be. I've heard from others that short-term memory loss is also an age issue. I plead guilty to that, as well. Folks who pose questions here, then appear to disappear may have found their answers from a different source and didn't think about coming back to say, "Hey, I found my answer. Thanks." Maybe they lack the forethought or courtesy to do that, but probably don't intend to be rude. There are a lot of us tromping around here, and we are all programmed somewhat differently.

Along similar lines are the number of members who appear to be lurkers and do not contribute anything. I am in RI every day if I'm not traveling. I have taken up the custom of looking at the profiles of the daily birthday list. I would like to look at everyone's profile, but there are thousands! The birthday list helps me to get to know a little about a few members every day. I also research folks who I am interacting with in some fashion. This is how I discovered that many folks show no apparent signs of participation. If they merely look but don't post anything it doesn't show up in their profiles. So they may be completely inactive or simply lurking. I don't really care; there are enough active members to keep it interesting. But I wonder what percentage of members are actually contributing. I guess I can rant on and on. Cheers!

#6 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 10:22 PM

View Postfatbob, on 11 July 2013 - 12:00 PM, said:

What would you have people do with unanswered questions?  What about answers that are so childish that they do not deserve comment?  And what about British Standard Whitworth?

My original post was inspired by a recent thread in the nuts and bolts section by someone who wished to get more speed. There were answers and requests for more information but the poster distained to return to the thread even though it was obvious they had read it as a further new thread was added in the classified section asking for parts. I fail to understand your comments about unanswered questions or childish answers as these points do not apply in the majority of cases.

#7 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 04:07 AM

View PostPLANofMAN, on 13 July 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

I've seen stuff like that before too. It's generally people new to forums or (and this one is annoying as hell) people who have asked the same question on multiple forums.

Edit: Well I guess I just came out of the lurking closet. I could have sworn I'd posted here before :) Must have been Soviet Steeds or some other site.
Welcome to the forum PLANofMAN. Hopefully we will see you again. :smile:
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#8 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,342 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

I think that it is just gonna happen.
I don't like it either, it is inconsiderate!
Not much can be done tho..we live in a very inconsiderate society..
Teach your Children well...
RP

#9 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:06 AM

well if you would excuse me for saying things are a little slow movin about here!!
I can excuse it as so am i most of the time!
But most people these days have the attention span of a may fly!
but if they were all intelligent enough to realise they were being  exterminated like cockroaches,
and fleaced like sheep,  the forum would be  busier than i could contend with...
So lets all just ponder on whilst the world and its OCD, pass us by!
Cos we may have crappy brakes ,but we are moving at the speed within which we can see the cliff coming!!

#10 C5Paul

C5Paul

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:My family, collecting motorcycles, and riding motorcycles/snowmobiles.

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:18 AM

View Postlobofuego, on 11 August 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

well if you would excuse me for saying things are a little slow movin about here!!
I can excuse it as so am i most of the time!
But most people these days have the attention span of a may fly!
but if they were all intelligent enough to realise they were being  exterminated like cockroaches,
and fleaced like sheep,  the forum would be  busier than i could contend with...
So lets all just ponder on whilst the world and its OCD, pass us by!
Cos we may have crappy brakes ,but we are moving at the speed within which we can see the cliff coming!!

I am guilty of this from time to time. Usually I forget which forum I posted on, and forgot to check the magic box which emails me notice or reply.
Since we manufacture ignitions for many different vehicles, we keep a list of forums now so I am more organized.

Although I have not done that here, I apologize to readers of other forums for my past sins!

#11 whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Since I'm new to the whole Eastern Block sidecar thing I'm reading as many posts concerning the bike as I can come across. You read "My bike is bursting into flames, what's wrong?" Then they get tons of replys saying check this and that.  Then zilch! Did it fix it? Is the darn thing still bursting into flames?? You mean I read 6 pages of posts and then nothing saying "hey, that was it, thanks!" or "nope, still bursting into flames!"
The worst for me are the "Hey, I'm gonn'a tear this thing apart to the last nut and bolt and restore it." threads. Yep, you tore it apart then no more posts! There's another bike in milk crates! You can give a 5yo a wrench and they will tear it apart pretty quickly, putting it back together? It's pretty obvious it won't end well when they don't even have a manual.
My 2 cents.
"It’s the unconquerable soul of man, not the nature of the weapon he uses, that insures victory."
Gen. George Patton

'94 Dnepr MT-16 no longer in bits n pieces!!!

#12 MotoJ

MotoJ

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:Ol' arn

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

I hear you.

I can also tell you from experience that posting up an entire rebuild thread gets exhausting. It takes longer to write the explanations and post the pics than it does to do some of the the work itself, especially if you have to resize all your photos or upload them to a second site first and then re-post them here.

So, it's easy to run out of steam. After you compile a large post and then lose it due to some button pressed wrong or something, it's also easy to say "F**K It!" and do something else with your time, like ride, lol.
Famous last words:
Hey! Hold my beer and watch this.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users