• Please log in to reply
136 replies to this topic

#16 Gadgitman

Gadgitman

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:I have an unusual attraction to motorcycles and Redheads, and like all things dangerous.

Posted 02 February 2013 - 09:42 PM

Welcome Uchronic. Don't forget to google Dnepr and foilhead! If your ever near Oceanside I'll give you a ride in my Dnepr hack so you can experience what it's all about!

#17 UchronicPete

UchronicPete

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, Gadgitman!

#18 stephan bless

stephan bless

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:37 PM

Hi, I am Stephan.  Although I am a long time rider, I am new to this forum.  I have a 94 Tourist, which I bought new, but in 2002, after wearing out every moving part trying to drive across the country, I put in a 2002 drive train.  It ran great until about 9 months ago.  At the time I was preparing to move from Texas to NYC, and I couldn't risk having it in the garage for an extended period of time, so I took it to a dealer.  There it remains.  Everytime I call (which is infrequent, since I don't go back to Texas often), they say they almost have it done.  So I am trying to decide whether to write if off (since 2002 was apparently a bastard year for the motors) and start over, or ship it here and put in the time and $ to get it fully functioning again.  NYC seems like a great place for Urals as long as the brakes and suspension are in good shape.

#19 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:52 AM

There are only a limited amount of dealers in Texas, so I am guessing as to which one you used. If it is the same one I am thinking of, then I fully understand the failed promises to get something done in a timely manner. I'd never allow any dealer to keep my rig, despite it being there for an extended period of time. That dealer would probably be more than happy for your loss though and may have even bankded on it.

I am not so sure why you believe the '02 motors were so bad. (likely the broken crank issue), but I believe that was the first year of the 700 cc motor, too. (I could be wrong though). I have known others who had no problems at all with the motor from them, but none had the motor transplanted in an older bike as you did. Used bikes in your situation aren't going for a fortune these days, so you will have to decide for yourself as to it being a bust or being worth the effort to take it out of the dealer's hands and haul up to where you now live. There is a lot of pretty country in NY, for sure. NYC is not particularly where I'd want to be riding a Ural though. The cost of returning and hauling it back may be more than the bike is ultimately worth to you, but you will have to decide that for your self. The time and money issue may be a reality check for you. Good luck in your decision.

The old mother board was an excellent resource area for older bikes as your's. I sure miss that website and feel to this day that IMZ made a bad error in elimination of it. The resources, wonderful information and friendships there were well worth keeping it up and running in my opinion.
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#20 Ladyknieval

Ladyknieval

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:25 PM

I go by Ladyknieval. Live in Dallas, TX area. This is my '12 Taiga Gear Up, which I still need to pick up from the dealer. I am a long distance truck driver, so it is difficult to work schedule for pickup. I have wanted a Ural since I "discovered" them over 3 years ago. Hopefully my doberman will enjoy riding too!

Attached Files

#21 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:30 PM

View PostLadyknieval, on 07 April 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

I go by Ladyknieval. Live in Dallas, TX area. This is my '12 Taiga Gear Up, which I still need to pick up from the dealer. I am a long distance truck driver, so it is difficult to work schedule for pickup. I have wanted a Ural since I "discovered" them over 3 years ago. Hopefully my doberman will enjoy riding too!

Congrats on the ride!  Once you pick it up we need more pictures. Especially with the dog!

#22 Ianboydsnr

Ianboydsnr

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:07 AM

Hi my name is Ian and I hail from Cockermouth, Cumbria, in the UK, I don't have a Ural, though I have put a deposit down on a 2003 model and pick up in a couple of months, I have never had the pleasure to ride a outfit, though as a kid I was a regular passenger in one!

#23 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:44 AM

Hi Ian. Welcome to the RIMC.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#24 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM

Ian:
Welcome to the fray.
Since you've "have never had the pleasure to ride a outfit" before, be sure to get training help.
The unsuspecting motorcycle Pilot who expects sidecar rigs to handle in a familiar way, often end up wrecked.
Fortunately, they are easy to handle when expectations are correct.  'Must be.  I can do it.

Keep us informed here!
Cheerio,
Russ

#25 agosey

agosey

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

Just wanted to say howdy to everyone in here. Names Adam and i live up in the Colorado Rockies. I've been lurking around here & SS for a while once i really made up my mind to save up for my first Ural. Haven't posted alot since the search works great to answer my questions and digressions. RI has been great in helping me get going with this bike, a '05 Patrol, of which i am the second owner. I picked her up in January of this year and haven't stopped riding it. Almost every day so far. Hell, i wasnt planning on going any older than '07 but through continued study of the Uralverse i concluded that it probably wouldnt kill me......

Be see'n ya'll around for sure.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

Attached Files

once a noob always a noob

#26 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:15 PM

Great looking bike Agosey.  That is what I ride and it has been a blast.  I got tired of mine being shiny so I had to rough it up a bit!  How is it handling the altitude out there? What windscreen is that?

#27 agosey

agosey

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:28 PM

So far at just under 9000 feet it's doing great. I promise its not nearly as clean now as it was in that photo. That wind screen was a Slip Streamer S-28, but i accidentally broke it while i had it off the bike of all things. Darn good coverage from that thing, but went with an S-03 to give better protection on the grips.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

once a noob always a noob

#28 Ianboydsnr

Ianboydsnr

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:43 AM

View PostRuss Noe, on 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Ian:
Welcome to the fray.
Since you've "have never had the pleasure to ride a outfit" before, be sure to get training help.
The unsuspecting motorcycle Pilot who expects sidecar rigs to handle in a familiar way, often end up wrecked.
Fortunately, they are easy to handle when expectations are correct.  'Must be.  I can do it.

Keep us informed here!
Cheerio,
Russ

I am going to take it very easy, I do understand the principal, accelerate around the left had bends and de-accelerate around right hand bends and normal steering turn left to go left and right to go right!

#29 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostIanboydsnr, on 19 April 2013 - 04:43 AM, said:

View PostRuss Noe, on 11 April 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Ian:
Welcome to the fray.

Keep us informed here!
Cheerio,
Russ

I am going to take it very easy, I do understand the principal, accelerate around the left had bends and de-accelerate around right hand bends and normal steering turn left to go left and right to go right!

Lol, yup , outfits are definately an art but you will have plenty of bends and hills to practice on in your neck of the woods. Some ballast in the chair might help for starters.
PS . Greetings from Lancashire

#30 Latham6

Latham6

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Pipes, Bikes, History

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:20 AM

Hello all.

Ken Latham of Bon Aqua TN here. How new am I? I just ordered my M70 last week........havent ridden is a few years, but really looking forward to getting back at it.

I live in Bon Aqua TN, if you don't know where that is, dont feel bad, most locals dont know either. We are about 40 miles or so west of Nashville.

If there are any other Ural owners in the Mid Tenn area who want to meet and maybe school this noob, let me know!
Thanks
Ken Latham
Bon Aqua TENN

Proprietor, Latham Hand Crafted Pipes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users