#1 warren

warren

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Bike, obviously

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

IMZ has finally pulled the plug on the IMZ-URAL forum.

Not a lot of members used it of late, it is a sad day when the company pulls the refreshingly open forum to complain directly to management. After all these years of stumbling around and assisting (sometimes sort of) customers and the curious, I find it terrible that the ONLY manufacturer's direct to the top link is gone. IMZ's comment on closure follows

From IMZ-URAL management

Regrettably, the continued hosting and support of this
web board will cease in the coming days. We are
researching methods to archive it and if we are successful,
we will be able provide full access of the archives to all
members of this board, in addition to Ural owners and
fans. Our hope is to archive everything and host it on our
website.
[size="5"][/size]Semper Paratus, 1961-1982

#2 racepres

racepres

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:21 PM

Archives are excellent... if, you have a 1972 Ironhead Sportster!!! :feelssogood:
For the IMZ customer... This is Sad News.
For the IMZ Potential Customer... Well, it could be a lost Sale!
But, What do I know??
RP

#3 Gummiente

Gummiente

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, drums, beer, food

Posted 21 August 2012 - 05:44 AM

Killing off the forum, archaic as it was, just isn't a good idea. Changing over to a new server and forum style surely couldn't have been that costly, but apparently they feel that their Facebook page is a more modern way to get the message out to the masses now. But what about those who don't subscribe to Facebook?
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
oVc Sales & Service
www.uralontario.ca

#4 digitalebola

digitalebola

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 07:16 AM

View PostGummiente, on 21 August 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

Killing off the forum, archaic as it was, just isn't a good idea. Changing over to a new server and forum style surely couldn't have been that costly, but apparently they feel that their Facebook page is a more modern way to get the message out to the masses now. But what about those who don't subscribe to Facebook?

They are also publicly promoting "other" forums. No biggie. We will still be here.

John

#5 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

I did try nudging folks over in this direction, and I hope we have picked up some new members.  If so, welcome aboard!!

I also believe it was a major mistake, and hope they don't regret it.
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#6 Bilge Keel Dave

Bilge Keel Dave

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Interests:Beautiful Wife, Beer, Bikes, Boats, Books, British Cars.

Posted 21 August 2012 - 08:01 PM

What's Facebook!? Posted Image

Dave
RAMCO Dnepr MT-16

#7 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 02:21 AM

I did visit that forum for a while, a few years ago, but until you mentioned it here I had forgotten all about it.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#8 Russ Noe

Russ Noe

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • Interests:Steam machines, Urals, all Motorcycles, Aviation, Good People, Red Wines, Life, and the ability to enjoy them all.

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

And some of us have landed...

#9 Becky Blosser

Becky Blosser

Russian Bike Nut

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

View PostRuss Noe, on 02 September 2012 - 04:07 PM, said:

And some of us have landed...

Welcome to all refugees!!  We are glad you are here!!
Becky Blosser
Russian Iron Administrator

Winchester, VA
A lonely outpost on the Eastern Front

"The answer to any question starting, 'Why don't they-' is almost always, 'Money.'" - Robert A. Heinlein

#10 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

A good thing about the old motherboard was that if you asked a question, you got a really good answer 99% of the time. Not the 10 different answers from folk who had only owned their Urals for less than a year, but somehow became instant Ural experts. Much of the info was on the older bikes, but a ton was on the new models, as well. Most of the info would still work very easily for new bikes, too. Once that older info is lost, it is really gone for good. Not everyone wants or needs to own a new Ural, so the info was very, very nice to have and will be sorely lost. Friendships did evolve and that is always nice. It was actually a good site to sometimes settle some problems with management with, as well. I am not so sure all the members or even most will end up here or on SS or any other Ural-oriented site. There are several whom I don't see posting any more at all. Too bad, as their insight into Ural ownership was always a good thing. Once you pull down such a website, you really never get it back. The software may have been old, but for some it worked as well as anythiing else out there in the neverland of the internet. Me, I really miss the site for all of the good and even for the glitches it sometimes had. It is like missing a finger of knowledge on your best hand. Facebook is a place I steer away from and I suspect many of the old regulars do the same. The times are a changin' and sites as the old motherboard will only become a distant memory. Too bad though, as a whole lot of knowledge was lost in that move. A real mistake on the part of the company in my opinion. Oh, well, life goes on....even for Urals.
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#11 Gummiente

Gummiente

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, drums, beer, food

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

View PostHuey, on 02 January 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

A good thing about the old motherboard was that if you asked a question, you got a really good answer 99% of the time. Not the 10 different answers from folk who had only owned their Urals for less than a year, but somehow became instant Ural experts.

Nailed it. Somebody get this man a beer.
Mike "Gummiente" Palmer
oVc Sales & Service
www.uralontario.ca

#12 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Ural's Facebook page lacks any useful information and appears to be aimed at people who own or want to own a new Ural.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#13 Steven

Steven

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Not in any particular order: Uralling, skiing, smoking good cheap cigars, drinking good cheap bourbon, drinking good beer, eating dark chocolate, drinking good coffee, theology, politics, general outdoorsy stuff, the three awesomely wonderful ladies in my life. I like my beer like my personality (stong and bitter), and I like my coffee like I like my women...(of course if you met my wife you wouldn't believe me, but never tell truth at the expense of a good story). I believe every man should have a vice..or two or three (it makes it easier to buy him presents--my father fails miserably in this area).

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

I really, very, awfully, so much miss the mother board. I am busy enough that I would often go for several months without even logging in, but the advice and discussions there were uneaqualled. It was also free of a lot of the clutter of other message boards. Oh, well. Life goes on, and on, and on...
Steven (AKA IceBeard)

#14 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:47 AM

I generally steer clear of facebook for anything at all, but out of sheer curiosity, I did look at the site there yesteday for the very first time. I sure didn't see much in the way of any useful information on anything and the blogs or such seemed to be there just to promote their brand. As far as it being anything like the old web board, it simply is not and is also a bit difficult to navigate in my own opinion. I guess there was a reason that curiosity killed the cat, but I doubt that I'll have the desire to return there a second time, anytime soon. I just don't see the purpose in doing that at this point. Sure is a loss to those who loved the info exchanged in the past.
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#15 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

I thought CIAce book was an exercise in gathering information , from the mindless masses in order to manipulate and opress said masses, and thus has been avoided by me , since its inception....
One who listens to RT would be aware that they also regard this "social" media thing as a bit of a joke,
So i wonder why a major motorcycle manufacturer would have more sense than to use this as their only expressive outlet!!
Personally , I seem to have got more interest from parking my bike around in the UK, , than  they even  get from the motorcycle press, one would never know russian bikes existed from them over here, even if they were officially imported due to "euro3" emission regs...
Whilst those in power shower us with aluminium, from the sky with impunity.
..OOOps slipped out!
anyway rant over!
Regards

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users