• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 guzzidude

guzzidude

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:Cars, motos, anything greasy. MGB GT.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Ok, so you post a question or something on a forum... You know, so you reach different people who may be helped or help. Why do some folks have to answer your same question on multiple forums when just one will suffice? Been wondering this for a while, not just today. Do they think you won't check both sites b/c you might be an idiot or is it b/c they wanna make sure you got their answer, or is it to just rack up participation points for posting?  :feelssogood:  :beerchug:

Thanks for all of those who help me and those who I have the pleasure of helping.
MT11 - VFR. R.I.P.- BMW R100GS, R50/5, CB550SS, VStar1100, TS400, V11Sport, TR6/Bonnie, KLX650, GSXR600, etc.

#2 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:46 AM

I would suspect it's a points thing.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#3 JustTroItIn

JustTroItIn

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

I have done it on occasion so if someone is searching the archives the post will have complete info.
==========
Just Tro It In & See What Happens
1980 Dnepr MT10-36
1971 BMW R60/5
1995 Ducati 900SS CR
2005 GasGas 250EC
1993 Husqvarna TE-350

#4 on2wheels52

on2wheels52

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 06:21 PM

"......or is it to just rack up participation points for posting?"

Is that the same as post whore? :smile:
Jim

#5 MotoJ

MotoJ

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:Ol' arn

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Because there're different audiences on each site? So maybe posting the answer to the same question on multiple forums is to help out readers of each forum, who might not be reading the other forums.
Famous last words:
Hey! Hold my beer and watch this.......

#6 warren

warren

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Bike, obviously

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postguzzidude, on 16 March 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Ok, so you post a question or something on a forum... You know, so you reach different people who may be helped or help. Why do some folks have to answer your same question on multiple forums when just one will suffice? Been wondering this for a while, not just today. Do they think you won't check both sites b/c you might be an idiot or is it b/c they wanna make sure you got their answer, or is it to just rack up participation points for posting?  :feelssogood:  :beerchug:

Thanks for all of those who help me and those who I have the pleasure of helping.
Maybe some of the readers on the "other" sites would benefit?
[size="5"][/size]Semper Paratus, 1961-1982

#7 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

View Postavalon, on 17 March 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

I would suspect it's a points thing.

+1 , I just ignore them.

#8 berger

berger

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

As already mentioned, it is simply because each forum has the same....and different members, and if one searches on the same issue on only one forum they will find the answer. The same question could be asked....why do some post the same question on multiple forums???

Sent from my iPhone
Berger

2007 Patrol
R75 exhaust
Modtop Airbox
138/45 Jets
Gossie Needles
CJ750 24L Tank/Karcoma Petcock
7/64 Drilled Carb Slide

#9 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

View Postberger, on 26 August 2012 - 09:00 PM, said:

why do some post the same question on multiple forums???

Sent from my iPhone

Attention seeking? wanting to have many people acknowledge their existance? who knows, but it can be very annoying to post and find it's already been answered elsewhere.

#10 berger

berger

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

View Postdneprlover, on 04 September 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Attention seeking? wanting to have many people acknowledge their existance? who knows, but it can be very annoying to post and find it's already been answered elsewhere.

Yes, but you are still thinking that we all belong to every forum. I always consider that guy who only belongs to that ONE forum, and a search would help him out.

If people are posting on these forums to improve post counts and to seek attention, then there are greater issues at hand.
Berger

2007 Patrol
R75 exhaust
Modtop Airbox
138/45 Jets
Gossie Needles
CJ750 24L Tank/Karcoma Petcock
7/64 Drilled Carb Slide

#11 Cpt Monster

Cpt Monster

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

View Postwarren, on 26 August 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

View Postguzzidude, on 16 March 2012 - 08:27 PM, said:

Maybe some of the readers on the "other" sites would benefit?

I'll give this a +1 (maybe it will help my post count too...  :feelssogood: )
I cruise a lot of varied but related forums... usually cruising to glean the same info.
However, some folks might not leave the forum where the query is posted....
Lurkers need to learn stuff to, and the search function can be your friend...only if someone has answered the post in the forum you are on.
Sgt Monster
Professional Action Wrangler!
If ya gonna be dumb...ya better be tough.

1995 Sportsman named Crawler.
2007 Patrol named SkipRay
Thread about Crawler.
SkipRay Thread(pending)
My Blog.

#12 Huey

Huey

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  • Interests:Vintage cars, motorcycles and sidecar rigs of any sort.

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Well, look at many posts on any given website and you can find that the topic is often not necessarily what is addressed in the body of the post. Finding just the right key word phrase can be a challenge for any search engine because of that, as so often discussions go off-topic or perhaps the information or term has several different definitions. An example would be to look for the j-pipes, j-tubes or just about any of a half dozen different ways one may wish to call the rubber hoses joining the carb and the air box. Not every search will bring up all the info on such, simply because of the terminology used.

I have a post at SS right now, but after checking and finding about 15-20-30 different views and not one answer or reply, I find it easier to post the same exact question at other sites. The answer or best answer may show on one site and not the other. Many who join don't always join or view every single web site and some websites actually cater to a different group than just one particular one. Example: Look at the posts currently at RI and you will easily see there are lots of posters with Dneprs and the questions cover a lot that is more or less specific to that rig. Go to some of the other sites and may easily find the discussions have much less Dnepr input than here. Over time, many folk simply don't keep responding to the same old questions being asked, so a newbie may well ask something and only get a few new anwsers, where had he asked a year or so back, there may have been some even better ones suggested. In addition, we all seem to find our own comfort zones in where we decide to land in our search for the best Ural information. Having a couple of landing zones is probably not a bad idea in the long run. :-)

To me, the various websites are like different supermarkets. One day the special may be more enticing at one than the other, but overall it pays to shop around. Trying to not step on someone's toes in answering the questions or even in posing questions can be a real tricky issue, as well. We all have certain triggers and beliefs about our own rides, but just like the old addage says, "there are a hundered different ways to skin a cat and the cat ain't gonna' like any of them. There is always room to learn, so even if a quesiton or topic is simply old hat or a repeat to many, it may be completely fresh and enlightening to someone else.

Me, I sure wish the old motherboard site was still up and running. Lots of outright good information was contained at that site when it was running and in it's prime. It is missed, so I'd say enjoy all the other sites for what they have while you can. One never knows what the future may bring on any of them.
My opinions are all vast, but, unfortunately, your's are only half-vast.

#13 dneprlover

dneprlover

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 04:38 AM

Just found another multiple poster who I have tried to help. If I had known I wouldn't have bothered wasting my typing finger. Now going on block list.

#14 lobofuego

lobofuego

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:42 PM

nay,nay...us English Dnepr riders need all the help we can get!!....multiple times...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users