• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 Don Black

Don Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Historic motorcycles. Greasy Russian Urals and Ukrainian Dnepr motorcycles and sidecars, my woman, my friends, touring, camping, bushwalking, my pet bird, engineering principles, hospital maintainance & operating theatres, fire safety. Dnepr MT-9 is the best cossack!

Posted 13 November 2009 - 07:31 AM

thats life in Oz, we drive on the left, so no sidecar wheel drive (that hurts) unless you have skipped the loop in a particular state. Be prepared for a cop to issue the fine "have sidecar affixed to offside of motorcycle" - the RTA call it the "suicide"

I have yet to see a chang that lasts long down here, just too damn hot.

The new Urals seem to be coping quite well so far from all accounts.

my kopek worth.
aka JD
currently I have four 1974 Dnepr MT-9s, one old Ural M-63 sidecar, I sold all my Urals to Jan but kept the sidecar :-)
RMOA Life Member, AAK USSR Badge No 140
CURD #007 (thanks Mike), Liason the Globe Team on the Urals
and I have met Yarets, Vladimir (twice)

Cossackpower  (b-Cozz) all welcome

#17 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 05:10 PM

View Postpaul l, on Nov 8 2009, 11:05 AM, said:

thank for the reply i better ring john up on monday and get it  if he still got one left

Hey, spill the beans... have you ordered the Sahara? When do you get it?
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

Speed limits: an achievement, not a restriction - Ural

#18 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 01:09 AM

View Postroscoau, on Nov 10 2009, 01:10 AM, said:

Peter, I'm having trouble replying, but here goes...

I would hardly consider a new Ural and a CJ any kind of valid comparison. You (on your CJ) and I on my Ural should take a nice long ride some time... I understand some people love their CJs and have a ball with them, but trying to compare them to a new bike of any kind is ludicrous.

Do it yourself? Sure, if you have the skills (or access to someone with them) and money.

I have a price list in front of me for a local maker. $6900 for the chair, $780 for a tonneau cover, $1100 for a third wheel brake, $2750 for a leading link front end. We haven't got to the bike yet. To keep it a fair comparison what new shaft-drive bike should we put the chair on? That's a fairly basic setup; from there the sky is the limit. You still have a bike never made to tow a chair.

Urals, as I understand it, are shipped to the USA then shipped to Australia. Double handling has to add a fair bit to the cost. Yeah, I know that's not smart but it's how it is.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the costs, but I don't think anyone is making a fortune out of selling them.

Roscoau, I'm quite sure you are having trouble replying, considering that your only Ural experience seems to be hearsay and a test ride before buying a bike that you haven't yet received. Why you can't compare an over $20,000 Ural to a $10,000 CJ - I'm not sure. They both have LH chairs, both are 750, and both have electric start and reverse. What am I missing? Buyer's remorse on your part?

Mike did a lot of research before he bought his CJ, including both of us going down to BJs to test ride a new 750. It wasn't much more powerful than my 650 and certainly didn't look as good. The sidecar brake was nice. but the CJ has one as well. I wouldn't say the disk was any better than my 2LS and definitely no better than a hydraulic 2LS.

Do it yourself? Pretty easy and even without the skills yourself, the sidecar and Cossack communities have plenty of skilled people to help. In your pricing, you're creating a bike that would eat a Ural for lunch in most categories. Certainly not a fair comparison and definitely not apples to apples. Anyway, why limit the comparison to shaft drive bikes...that includes the BMWs and their dreaded FD problems ;-)

Now whether Urals are first shipped to the U.S. and then on-shipped to Australia, or not, doesn't really matter, as that approach would probably be cheaper than shipping direct from Russia/Europe to Australia. The company I work for does a lot of importing and I know shipping rates quite well. and at the moment some routes are close to zero cost.

I still think the current Urals are well overpriced in Australia and that the market is being gouged. Some of the CJ dealers are putting together much more attractive packages at less than half the price. I thought about a new Ural for all of a few seconds - doesn't do anything better than the current one, and the dealers seem to have no knowledge, spares, accessories or tyres.

#19 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:51 AM

View PostPeter Williams, on Nov 15 2009, 05:09 PM, said:

Mike did a lot of research before he bought his CJ, including both of us going down to BJs to test ride a new 750. It wasn't much more powerful than my 650 and certainly didn't look as good. The sidecar brake was nice. but the CJ has one as well. I wouldn't say the disk was any better than my 2LS and definitely no better than a hydraulic 2LS.

Where are these CJ dealers? Clearly I need to have a look before wasting money on a Ural... I have been under the impression CJ manufacture stopped years ago and the only 'new' ones were being built from stockpiled parts, but I freely admit I may be wrong.

These bikes have been improved to match the reliability of new Urals? What sort of distances do you cover per day?
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

#20 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 15 November 2009 - 11:15 AM

I have yet to see a chang that lasts long down here, just too damn hot.
An air-cooled OHV is an air-cooled OHV.
If a Ural can do well, why not a CJ? Maybe one needs to swap out Chinese bearings for better ones and add some decent oil, but there shouldn't be any design reason for a CJ not to work.

I can't imagine a "modern" OHV CJ-750 being any worse than a 1970's Soviet MT-12 flathead (that's an almost exact duplicate of a 1930's design) that these folks rode all over Australia. http://bcozz.multipl...g/peter parsons

I have been under the impression CJ manufacture stopped years ago and the only 'new' ones were being built from stockpiled parts, but I freely admit I may be wrong.
Probably correct. But what's wrong with that as long as you have a good builder or only good NOS parts are used?
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#21 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

View Postgspell68, on Nov 16 2009, 03:15 AM, said:

If a Ural can do well, why not a CJ? Maybe one needs to swap out Chinese bearings for better ones and add some decent oil, but there shouldn't be any design reason for a CJ not to work.

I can't imagine a "modern" OHV CJ-750 being any worse than a 1970's Soviet MT-12 flathead (that's an almost exact duplicate of a 1930's design) that these folks rode all over Australia. http://bcozz.multipl...g/peter parsons

So I ask again... where do I find a CJ dealer? I've never heard of one but if they exist then I want to check them out.

If I buy the Ural I expect to ride it out of the dealer's showroom, run it in, service it regularly and have reliable transport to go pretty much anywhere I want whenever I want. Can a CJ do that for me?

Please note: my definition of 'service it regularly' does not include rebuilding the engine/gearbox to replace the bearings.

Does the CJ offer the same 2 year unlimited km warantee the Ural does?
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

#22 Don Black

Don Black

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Interests:Historic motorcycles. Greasy Russian Urals and Ukrainian Dnepr motorcycles and sidecars, my woman, my friends, touring, camping, bushwalking, my pet bird, engineering principles, hospital maintainance & operating theatres, fire safety. Dnepr MT-9 is the best cossack!

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:34 AM

the old side-valve 750s get PRETTY hot once they warm up. Throw one into the Simpson or Sahara or any good desert with 40C+ and see what happens. 40/70 engine oil in such a situation is a plus, but not a saviour.

The later 650 and 750 overhead-valve engines with bimetallic cylinders, ie aluminium outer, sure went a long way towards what BMW did years ago, ie kept a LOT cooler.

1/2 a kopeks worth.
aka JD
currently I have four 1974 Dnepr MT-9s, one old Ural M-63 sidecar, I sold all my Urals to Jan but kept the sidecar :-)
RMOA Life Member, AAK USSR Badge No 140
CURD #007 (thanks Mike), Liason the Globe Team on the Urals
and I have met Yarets, Vladimir (twice)

Cossackpower  (b-Cozz) all welcome

#23 DinoNZ

DinoNZ

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 10:52 PM

Dnepr MT9 if you can get a hold of one,  I mean the new bikes may have more sparkle and less casting marks on the aluminium but they will never compare to my bike with its agricultural simplicity which has incidentally been in the shed the last 5 years but I occasionally get to ride when Im not waiting for parts from Poland. Half the fun is fixing it anyway....
Dino

1973 Dnepr MT 9 called "Sveta"

At least she understands me.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users