#1 paul l

paul l

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:ural bikes surf life saving and geting old gracefully

Posted 05 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

hi all I'm new to the club I'm  thinking of buying a Sahara i was wondering what the difference is compared to a tourist.  or have i had a brain span and a urul a urul lol thank you if you can help

#2 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 05:18 AM

You better be quick then... there's one left and I almost bought it. There's only four coming to the country. I ordered a Tourist instead.

The Sahara has a shovel, toolbox, jerry can, single seat and rack over the spare tyre... and the colour of course. That's about it I think. Price is $20,300 plus on road.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

Speed limits: an achievement, not a restriction - Ural

#3 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts
  • Interests:Keeping at least one of these two f*(k!^6 bikes running!

Posted 06 November 2009 - 04:55 PM

And the Sahara is probably 2WD. That's a BIGGIE...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com
http://sites.google....site/foilheadz/
1951 K-750 (The Bull, БУЛ)
1962 K-750 (The Beast, БИСТ)
1959 M-72M Solo Rust Buc-Kit Bike

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
Anyone who rides in that is automatically your b!#(*.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

Real motorcycles have kickstarters and real men use them!
-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast
Pick any 2 and the last one won't apply!

#4 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:17 PM

View Postgspell68, on Nov 7 2009, 08:55 AM, said:

And the Sahara is probably 2WD. That's a BIGGIE...

No, it's not. We don't get 2wd even though the model may carry the same names as yours. As we drive on the other (the correct) side of the road and have the chair on the left 2wd doesn't make the translation.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

#5 paul l

paul l

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 07:05 PM

View Postroscoau, on Nov 6 2009, 09:18 PM, said:

You better be quick then... there's one left and I almost bought it. There's only four coming to the country. I ordered a Tourist instead.

The Sahara has a shovel, toolbox, jerry can, single seat and rack over the spare tyre... and the colour of course. That's about it I think. Price is $20,300 plus on road.
thank for the reply i better ring john up on monday and get it  if he still got one left

#6 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 09:09 PM

Ooops.
Is my face ever red! I didn't notice you were from Down Under.

Have you been to the http://bcozz.multiply.com/ site? It's mostly about older stuff but closer to home for you...
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
-Garden State

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.
-Alexei Sayle

-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast

#7 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:44 AM

View Postpaul l, on Nov 8 2009, 11:05 AM, said:

thank for the reply i better ring john up on monday and get it  if he still got one left

Yeah, Jon's offering some free stuff for the Sydney bike show (you don't need to actually go to the show to get the deal) so hit him up for your free watch and scarf.

Personally, I'd be happier if we could access more accessories here. Our options seem very limited and to get stuff from overseas the freight is going to be a killer.

I am going to have a rack made for the back of the bike to take my Givi topbox; I don't understand why you can't get a simple rack for this bike.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

#8 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:07 AM

View Postroscoau, on Nov 8 2009, 01:44 AM, said:

View Postpaul l, on Nov 8 2009, 11:05 AM, said:

Personally, I'd be happier if we could access more accessories here. Our options seem very limited and to get stuff from overseas the freight is going to be a killer.

I am going to have a rack made for the back of the bike to take my Givi topbox; I don't understand why you can't get a simple rack for this bike.

Parts and accessories are a big problem here, especially, it seems, in south Australia. I couldn't even get hold of a throttle cable.
So far I have ordered parts from the UK and got visiting relatives to bring them over, but that's only possible with the smaller items.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#9 gspell68

gspell68

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,704 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

For some of those small items, it may be cheaper and easier to get CJ-750 parts out of China.
Lots of parts interchange or are easily adaptable such as steering bearings, wheel bearings, cables, tires, axles, final drive gear sets, or even a complete engine or gearbox.
Scott Pell
gspell68@gmail.com

Sidecars are for b!#(*$.
-Garden State

-Alexei Sayle

-Me

Cheap - Reliable - Fast

#10 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 05:01 PM

View Postroscoau, on Nov 6 2009, 05:18 AM, said:

A$20,300 is one hell of a rip-off! In the U.S. a tourist goes for US$11,500. Lets be generous and say a Sahara Tourist costs US$12,000. At the current exchange rate of around 90 cent that's A$13,333, but we'll be more generous and use 80 cents like at the beginning of the year - that's A$15,000, add GST and it becomes A$16,500, a lot different to A$20,300 plus on-road. If NSW stamp duty is 3% and rego and CTP comes to $1,000 you should still be driving away for less than A$18,000! Where does the other $2,300 come from? Methinks someone is making a motza at the rider's expense.

#11 Rob Clarke

Rob Clarke

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:13 PM

[quote name='Peter Williams' date='Nov 9 2009, 09:01 AM' post='110720']
[quote name='roscoau' post='110663' date='Nov 6 2009, 05:18 AM']You better be quick then... there's one left and I almost bought it. There's only four coming to the country. I ordered a Tourist instead.

Couldn't agree more that we are being screwed, but Australia is such a lovely country to screwed in, even better if there's a kiss thrown in!
Regards, Rob.

#12 paul l

paul l

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:14 PM

View PostPeter Williams, on Nov 9 2009, 09:01 AM, said:

View Postroscoau, on Nov 6 2009, 05:18 AM, said:

A$20,300 is one hell of a rip-off! In the U.S. a tourist goes for US$11,500. Lets be generous and say a Sahara Tourist costs US$12,000. At the current exchange rate of around 90 cent that's A$13,333, but we'll be more generous and use 80 cents like at the beginning of the year - that's A$15,000, add GST and it becomes A$16,500, a lot different to A$20,300 plus on-road. If NSW stamp duty is 3% and rego and CTP comes to $1,000 you should still be driving away for less than A$18,000! Where does the other $2,300 come from? Methinks someone is making a motza at the rider's expense.
hi all you just got me thinking so i rang up the customs broker the first thing he said was the bike on the customs web site . if it not you cant bring it in.plus the charges for gst stamp duty plus fright and cargo handling  wood ad up to 4.ooo aust dollars so may be its best to get it hear plus its a long way to go for a warranty claim lol

#13 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:40 PM

Yes, we pay through the nose... but also consider the costs of getting ADR and emissions approval. Plus, if paying a little more means our importer survives in the long term I can live with it.

Everyone complains about the cost, but it's the only game in town.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

#14 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 04:45 PM

View Postroscoau, on Nov 8 2009, 11:40 PM, said:

Yes, we pay through the nose... but also consider the costs of getting ADR and emissions approval. Plus, if paying a little more means our importer survives in the long term I can live with it.

Everyone complains about the cost, but it's the only game in town.

We don't have emissions testing (except for noise) on bikes in Australia and if a bike is already certified in Europe ADR approval would be no more than $20,000 - $1,000 a bike over twenty bikes, not $2,300 over 40 or more bikes. As to being the only game in town, there are quite a few small CJ importers in QLD and a couple offer good bikes at good prices (though they are mostly RH sidecars and so can only be registered in QLD). And a Ural LH sidecar only costs $4,000 and can be fitted to almost any bike for not too much extra. Paying a little more I understand, but being ripped-off I don't.

#15 roscoau

roscoau

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 01:10 AM

Peter, I'm having trouble replying, but here goes...

I would hardly consider a new Ural and a CJ any kind of valid comparison. You (on your CJ) and I on my Ural should take a nice long ride some time... I understand some people love their CJs and have a ball with them, but trying to compare them to a new bike of any kind is ludicrous.

Do it yourself? Sure, if you have the skills (or access to someone with them) and money.

I have a price list in front of me for a local maker. $6900 for the chair, $780 for a tonneau cover, $1100 for a third wheel brake, $2750 for a leading link front end. We haven't got to the bike yet. To keep it a fair comparison what new shaft-drive bike should we put the chair on? That's a fairly basic setup; from there the sky is the limit. You still have a bike never made to tow a chair.

Urals, as I understand it, are shipped to the USA then shipped to Australia. Double handling has to add a fair bit to the cost. Yeah, I know that's not smart but it's how it is.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to see a breakdown of the costs, but I don't think anyone is making a fortune out of selling them.
2009 Tourist

Aussie Ural Owners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users