10 replies to this topic

#1 seekeronsaltspring

seekeronsaltspring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 01:50 PM

the Big Plan Number One

calls for getting a new ural gear up in 09 and shipping the thing to Australia for a four month tour of the island.  By shipping my own it have two wheel drive for the out back as the route covers the Plenty of Highway for the north east coast to Alice on the back roads.

So does any one have any ideals on the route or things to see there?

What the best way to deck out the side car for long range travel?

Plan to carry
4X10L gas                                                              range 780 to 1560 miles                                        
2 canvas bags of water and one 5 gal jug                  water  10 gal  (4 days)
roper puller and 50 ft of 3/8 rope                              fording and getting out of sand
5 tires ( three off road ones)
5 inner tubes
ax and shove
three man tent
kit for two men
2 folding chairs
camp stove

engine  three oil filters and 4 air filters    ( due to sand and dust )
2 spark plugs and oil for one change.      ( water in oil from fording)

Heard there it may be hard to get tires along the way there does any one know if ural tires can be got in the larger cities?

How deep can the bike go though water and can it be pulled in deep water by blocking the exhaust pipes and the air in take with cork or duct tape? There seem to be river closing in the out back  dust or water?

As anyone drove the Penty Higway to Alice ?

Trip route is follow the coast and then head from North East coast to Alice on the secondary highways. To see the Out Back.

Still waiting to hear back from shipper and the airlines on shipping from Vancover BC to the east coast of Australia to see what cheap and easy to use. Under importing for personal use as tourist the unit can clear customs and use it plates from it;s home country

wonder if the codriver my son like the ideal of sitting in the sidecar facing on coming truck trains as the bike has the car on the right.

Still waiting to see what the new urals cost down there to compare with bring mine down there and back again.

The plan calls for buy the ural next year and leaving by march or may for the trip. Hopeful the rains be gone.

So if any one as any ideals for the trip let me know them.

Bye for now Seekeronsaltspring.

#2 avalon

avalon

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 07:58 AM

Parts for Urals are rare in this part of the world, so bring any spares that you think you may need with you. you would probably need to carry more water, around four litres a day per person plus extra for washing and emergencies. you can often travel vast distances in Australia and not find any drinkable water. a UHF radio may be useful if you get into any difficulties, most outback travellers have them in their vehicles and will come to the rescue of any fellow travellers calling for help. These radios do have a limited range so it would also be a good idea to buy or hire an emergency beacon which would alert emergency services if you were in real trouble.
Hope this information is of some use to you.

Michael.
2003 Ural Dalesman
1975 Triumph Bonneville

#3 pash13

pash13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Machine designer builder. Amature sociologst, Political philosipher.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

50' of rope? I'd make it 100'. You can't have too much rope.

#4 Alecu

Alecu

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 12:14 PM

Your biggest problem will be that the Ural will be brand new, so you'll be braking it in.
I would focus a bit more on spare parts, the little things that can fail. I dunno about the ignition, have a spare cheap Dnepr electronic ignition or a complete points ignition in case of failiure.  A lot of plugs too and 1 meter or 2 of copper plug wire, 2 good old Dnepr plug caps. Take a lot of plain wire, electric wire, tape, light bulbs etc. Take any small nut, bolt with you in case you loose some. I dunno about the new Ural wheels, I would take plenty of spokes for off-roading. Take a set or 2 of cables. And also take the things I call around my place "mechanical nut", the things to put on the end of a cable in case it brakes (they usually brake at the end). Take a grease spray to lube stuff. The rubber carb flanges were prone to crack, take a set of spares. Also bring a small battery recharger. A bit of water for the battery.
Take extra oil in case the new engine burns a bit of oil and in case the tranny drips oil.
It is also a good ideea to put a small amount of oil in the gas in such rough conditions.
Also bring final drive hypoid oil (1/2L should be enough). I wouldn't worry that much about tires, I thing 2 should suffice.
Take a set of brake and clutch levers just in case, maybe also a left head cover. A good bicomponent glue could come in handy...
Take one rubber thingie for the final drive.
1963  IMZ M61 rig
1992  KMZ Dnepr MT16
1992  KMZ Dnepr Md 157 Solo
1939 Victoria KR35SN/WH
1941 BMW R12
R1100RS

#5 valicaddy

valicaddy

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

take another smaller ural in the trunk...
M72, FLHP

#6 charlie23

charlie23

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Bikes, Booze and Art. Pretty much in that order.

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:23 PM

View Postvalicaddy, on Feb 24 2008, 01:48 PM, said:

take another smaller ural in the trunk...

Very good advice  :cheers:

I'm planning about 3000k in the Balkans this year.
Granted, I'm on a 54 year old M72 but my spares will include 2 extra ignition coils, points, 3 extra sets of plugs, 2 full sets of cables, a carb rebuild kit, a full gasket set, spare pistons and rings, all the nuts and bolts I have laying about, and anything else I can possibly fit in there (along with the normal survival / camping / first aid stuff).
Basically, know your machine: anything that's ever failed before, carry backups for the backups. You can't necessarily drop in to the local hondakawazuki dealer and get a new part, especially where you're going.
Charlie's Vintage Kustoms
Flesh & Relics Blog (NSFW)
1953 M72
1956 Izh Planeta
1961 M61
1978 MT11
1982 Yamaha XS1100
1986 Suzuki VS750GL

#7 Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycling, canoeing, shooting sports

Posted 26 February 2008 - 10:10 AM

Alecu,

Sorry the quote feature is not working.  You reccomended putting a little oil in the gas because of the "rough" conditions.  Could you explain the reasoning behind this?  I have never heard of this before.  

Yankee Dog

#8 Iron Mike

Iron Mike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles of all kinds! Music, Travel.

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

View PostYankee Dog, on Feb 26 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

Alecu,

Sorry the quote feature is not working.  You reccomended putting a little oil in the gas because of the "rough" conditions.  Could you explain the reasoning behind this?  I have never heard of this before.  

Yankee Dog

Anyone else here remember the days when "ya put a little Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas to keep the top end lubed" ? My dad always had a can on hand just for that reason.  :thumbsup!:
Temporarily Dneprless

#9 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 07:48 PM

Have you checked if American cell phones work in Australia?  I think Canadian cell phones are the same type because mine works in the Great White North. When I went to Russia I checked and found out they don't work there. I could have payed $125 for a chip that would make my phone work in Russia and Europe. Because I was with a group I decided it was not worth it. Since you are going to be on your own most of the time it might be worth it.

You do not need to block you tail pipes on a water crossing. As long as you don't suck water in the air intake your good. If you stall it with the pipes under water do not try to restart untill you pull it out the other side. bring tow straps and a comeallong.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

#10 seekeronsaltspring

seekeronsaltspring

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 March 2008 - 10:30 PM

The report tell that cell phones only work near the larger towns and city.   VHF radio's what they use in the outback.  And I wonder if it needs one permit or does each state down there needs one.
My plan is burn the tires for smoke if i need help.  Or pee on a tree along side of the road  seem a car aways come along then.

So I still waiting to hear if right hand side  sidecars are allow on the road there. AS well as the shipping  cost.  

One can stay for three months, 6 months or a year if need been.  
Gas well soon be a $1.50 a L there too so as any one found a way to put a sail on a ural ?  

Bye for now Seekeronsaltspring.

#11 IVANGROZNEY

IVANGROZNEY

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 07:49 PM

Graham tells me he has ridden for 3 days with out seeing another vehical. How many tires are you bringing?  Alot of the rivers and lakes on the map are salty. European cell phones work in the US. US cell phones do not work in Europe. Something about the compatability of the systems. What system do the Aussies work on? I assume it's the Europian one.
New Jersey Ken,
94 Tourist w/750 original owner
95 Solo Dr Jeckel
Traveling Twelve 04
Vice Commissar Eastern Seaboard Division CURD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users