• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Firefighting
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking
    Upholstery and Leatherwork

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:03 AM

View PostQBall, on Mar 14 2008, 10:36 AM, said:

Organized or not.  No matter to me.  I would like a group ride qt some point with someone from the area.

Since I'm at the fire station tonight, and not running any calls...knock on wood...I decided to map out a ride for us around Jordan Lake.  Leaving from the campground at Vista Point, it is 60 miles round trip, hugging the lakes edge as close as possible, riding all back roads.  The map program says 2 hours and 15 minutes, but it'll take longer than that if we make a couple of stops for drinks and stretching our legs.  That should be a good ride for Saturday morning or afternoon.

I'll try to go ride it next week so I can actually time it and see what kind of roads and traffic we can expect.  Been wanting to ride around the lake to check out the water levels anyway.  While there I can look at the campsite and get it reserved for us.  That'll kill a couple of birds with one stone.

I'll try to figure out how to post some maps tomorrow.  I'll have to print it out then scan it.  If I post the file, you'd have to have Mapsource with the same or newer version than mine in order to view it...much too limiting.

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
2004 Firefighter Edition Road King
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Riddle's Custom Upholstery
Email me

#47 WEGUNTER

WEGUNTER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

Hey Bobby;  I am working this weekend.  Pulling all of my gear together. I will bring a four man Nothern Face tent for you and the family. It is big and very comfortable. I will have a two man for myself.  Will also bring a pot of Chili and Corn Bread and various things in flasks.  What I am thinking is that I will drive up to your place on Friday morning and we can drive up from there.  I will call you next week.  Will call you next week.

Bill

#48 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 20 March 2008 - 12:00 AM

I am coming from a long way up the pike, so let me bring the paper works. cups, hot and cold, plates , some paper bowls, will also have a rather large two room tent, if some one feels that their wife or girl friend....nah , better forget that :(  maybe a gallon of maple syrup, for the poor deprieved folks from the where ever, who have never experienced this delicecy. :unsure2: and some good old wisconsin cheese curds....squeeking kind...when you chew them, and a good supply of green apple wood for the culinary experts......Ken

#49 QBall

QBall

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:46 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Mar 20 2008, 01:00 AM, said:

I am coming from a long way up the pike, so let me bring the paper works. cups, hot and cold, plates , some paper bowls, will also have a rather large two room tent, if some one feels that their wife or girl friend....nah , better forget that :(  maybe a gallon of maple syrup, for the poor deprieved folks from the where ever, who have never experienced this delicecy. :unsure2: and some good old wisconsin cheese curds....squeeking kind...when you chew them, and a good supply of green apple wood for the culinary experts......Ken

Oh Yeah.  Fresh Maple syrup.  Sounds good.  So Far we will be there Friday afternoon and get sometin kookin'
Qball

2007 Gear UP
99 Victory V92C
2000 Triumph TBird

#50 hdflame

hdflame

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking

Posted 20 March 2008 - 08:38 PM

OK, it's a done deal!  I rode up today and paid for the campsite, $80 for 2 nights, up to 30 people.  Good thing I got there when I did...almost all of the group camping sites were reserved for next weekend!  I had called earlier this morning to check...then when I got there I was surprised that a lady had just been there within the last hour and reserved our first pick!  :unsure2:

I rode over and looked at Vista Point.  The only site left was #5 and it was on the edge of a swampy area.  :(   The lady said it was flooded last week.  I asked if there were any more group camping and she said she still had sites available at Parkers Creek.  This campground is across Hwy 64 from Vista Point, just down the road.  I rode over and looked at the sites and reserved the last one available...#253.  :(

It is all the way back at the end of the road in Parkers Creek.  It's a nice big site with a huge fire pit and lot's of benchs around it.  There were 5 picnic tables, and 3 large charcoal grills (We'll need some charcoal if we use the grills).  There is a lot of downed trees in the area for firewood if someone has a small chainsaw they could bring.  We are also closer to the bathrooms than at Vista point.  There is also a pole with a hanger for a lantern.

This is the GPS coordinates for the campsite for those who have a GPS: N35 45.714 W79 02.544
The entrance off of Hwy. 64 is: N35 44.299 W79 02.460

I had mapped out some back roads to ride on for the trip up, but ran into some dead ends, and some roads that were no longer there!  :rant:   When they flooded to make the lake, some of the roads were flooded too, and not all of them were taken out of the Mapsource database!  Some are still the same name on each end but have their middle missing!  I'm going back up tomorrow to try and map out a ride for Saturday afternoon. ( That' seems  to be when most want to do a group ride)  I may not be able to take the trip around the lake like I wanted, but I'll find some good roads that stay out in the country on back roads away from traffic.

If anyone has problems, gets lost, or has questions, here's my cell phone 919-353-1096

Don't remember who had the camper, but I think you'll have room in the parking area for it.  I don't think the Park Rangers are around too much this time of year.  Which brings up another point.  For those who want to sit around the campfire and partake in adult beverages, I think we'll be far enough off the beaten path to be OK.

Can't think of anything elase right now.  I'll post this info on the other sites for those interested.  Looking forward to seeing everyone next week!

Ride safe,
Bobby

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Email me

#51 hdflame

hdflame

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

I am coming from a long way up the pike, so let me bring the paper works. cups, hot and cold, plates , some paper bowls, will also have a rather large two room tent, if some one feels that their wife or girl friend....nah , better forget that :feelssogood:  maybe a gallon of maple syrup, for the poor deprieved folks from the where ever, who have never experienced this delicecy. :thumbsup!: and some good old wisconsin cheese curds....squeeking kind...when you chew them, and a good supply of green apple wood for the culinary experts......Ken

Ken,

The green apple wood sounds the best to me!  I like to smoke brisket, boston butts, chicken, and ribs.  I've never tried apple wood.
:biggrin:

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Email me

#52 hdflame

hdflame

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

View PostWEGUNTER, on Mar 19 2008, 07:16 PM, said:

Hey Bobby;  I am working this weekend.  Pulling all of my gear together. I will bring a four man Nothern Face tent for you and the family. It is big and very comfortable. I will have a two man for myself.  Will also bring a pot of Chili and Corn Bread and various things in flasks.  What I am thinking is that I will drive up to your place on Friday morning and we can drive up from there.  I will call you next week.  Will call you next week.

Bill

Hey Bill,

That sounds great!  I work Monday and Thursday next week, so I'll have to get everything ready Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'll be ready to leave anytime after about 0900.

Carried my daughter for a ride today.  I wanted to ride the route up around the lake and check out all of the roads.  Found some good backroads for a ride on Sat afternoon.  About 100 mile or so ride around the lake.  Also found some good roads to ride up on Friday so we can stay off the 4 lanes.  Even got a short section of gravel road included.  I'll attach a picture of a one lane bridge we found today.  I thought I would include that along with another bridge for the ride Saturday.  Some good group photo ops.

Attached Files

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Email me

#53 Ken Ulrich

Ken Ulrich

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles,sidecars,airplanes,model airplanes,metal working( machinist) wood working, beer drinking ( one a day). staying busy. updating MT11 "Sweet Thang" ( silk purse from a sows ear) not silk yet, but getting close. talking to god so that I may take it all with me

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:42 AM

View Posthdflame, on Mar 21 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

I am coming from a long way up the pike, so let me bring the paper works. cups, hot and cold, plates , some paper bowls, will also have a rather large two room tent, if some one feels that their wife or girl friend....nah , better forget that :rolleyes:  maybe a gallon of maple syrup, for the poor deprieved folks from the where ever, who have never experienced this delicecy. :atombomb: and some good old wisconsin cheese curds....squeeking kind...when you chew them, and a good supply of green apple wood for the culinary experts......Ken

Ken,

The green apple wood sounds the best to me!  I like to smoke brisket, boston butts, chicken, and ribs.  I've never tried apple wood.
:unsure2:
You'll like this apple wood....I kept it well frozen all winter :rolleyes: ..........Ken

#54 hdflame

hdflame

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
    Riding Bikes
    Grilling and Smoking

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:50 AM

View PostKen Ulrich, on Mar 26 2008, 01:42 AM, said:

View Posthdflame, on Mar 21 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

I am coming from a long way up the pike, so let me bring the paper works. cups, hot and cold, plates , some paper bowls, will also have a rather large two room tent, if some one feels that their wife or girl friend....nah , better forget that :unsure2:  maybe a gallon of maple syrup, for the poor deprieved folks from the where ever, who have never experienced this delicecy. :rolleyes: and some good old wisconsin cheese curds....squeeking kind...when you chew them, and a good supply of green apple wood for the culinary experts......Ken

Ken,

:atombomb:
You'll like this apple wood....I kept it well frozen all winter :rolleyes: ..........Ken

I guess that means it'll be fresh! :atombomb:

Ride safe,
Bobby
2006 Ural Tourist
Cell 919-353-1096
Custom Lap Robes
Email me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users