• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:12 PM

Hey all,

Just talked to Flicka in Arkansas yesterday and she said that she has been backordered on Uralshina tires for some time. Anyone know anything about this? That sucks because I have a bald one on the rear...I was considering the knobby for winter, but she told me they are quite pricey compared to the Uralshina... :biggrin: Hmm........E
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#2 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals & AK-47s...

Posted 13 December 2006 - 02:27 PM

View Postsprintstrider, on Dec 13 2006, 02:12 PM, said:

Hey all,

Just talked to Flicka in Arkansas yesterday and she said that she has been backordered on Uralshina tires for some time. Anyone know anything about this? That sucks because I have a bald one on the rear...I was considering the knobby for winter, but she told me they are quite pricey compared to the Uralshina... :biggrin: Hmm........E

Holopaw Gene has had them on backorder for a while too...
John Grocke (a.k.a. JohnBG)
1998.5 Ural Tourist 650 - "Valentina" - The Blonde
2006 Ural Raven 750 - "Vorona" - The Brunette

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#3 Neil3Wheeler

Neil3Wheeler

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

I think the ship has sailed on Uralshina tires.  The latest 3rd-hand rumor I heard was IMZ was going with a cheaper source for tires, outside of Russia.  I'd like to get my hands on a few more C-93 before that happens.
Neil '3' Wheeler
Northern Illinois, USA
ESC #1733; AOPA #1253713
'03 Triumph Tiger 955i
'05 Patrol "Синяя Лиса "
ИМЗ 8.1037   2WD 750см3
CVK-32mm, OEM jets: 38/65/125
Tires (Уралшина): 32f/30s/40pusher
Castrol GTX 20W-50 Engine+Gearbox

Тише едешь - дальше будешь!

#4 fencermatt

fencermatt

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:14 AM

I was out at Ural Chicago a couple of weeks ago and they had the new tires that IMWA is supplying.  They looked nice (blockier than a Uralshina but not knobbie), but they were I think twice as expensive as the Uralshinas.  They also said that IMWA was no longer carrying Russian tires at all.  I think that if y'all are looking for the cheap sidecar tires we've grown to love you'll need to go to someone like Yuri who's got Ukrainian tires for sale.
Matt Pearsall

2003 KLR650
1989 MT-16/R80

#5 TraprMiike

TraprMiike

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:Muzzle loading, motorcycles.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 03:00 AM

Oh Great ! and I need 2 new ones next spring too..  :beerchug:
2006 Red Tourist,
renamed, "Kil-o-cycle"
1 possums, 2 coon, 2 birds, and a deer.

#6 herbie

herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 04:51 AM

Here in the UK I can get Avon SM's in 4.00 x19 for just a few quid more than the Russian jobs (47 for the Ruskie and 51 for the Avon last shout).They last longer and give more grip and they are ROUND! They seem stiffer than the Russian ones and I run them at afew PSI lower to compensate . At this they handle nice - they also look butch too...

There are two other Avons at 19" - the SM Mk11 and the sidecar Tripple Duty both in 3.50 width. May also be worth a look?

How do the Avon prices compare with Russian in the US?

Herbie.

#7 wyowillys46

wyowillys46

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:Classic vehicles & Firearms collecting. The two best ways to drain your wallet.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 06:38 AM

Anyone know the reason for the price increase in Uralshinas? Frankly this is BS. They aren't planning on dropping the Russian knobby are they?
Morgan

2006 Gear-Up

#8 Paul St. John

Paul St. John

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:07 AM

I'm not shure what model it was but I got an Avon tire for about $120 vs about $50 for the Russian tire.  At that price I might have to go with the Kenda knobbys that are DOT legal.
Paul
2000 Patrol "Lovanta"
1990 FLHTC
1942 WLA

#9 herbie

herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:32 AM

Cripes!!

That's one hell of a price difference Paul!! At that I'd be looking for another alternative to Avon too.

Herbie.

#10 sprintstrider

sprintstrider

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Jesus and the Last Days, sailing, snowshoeing, sport touring, my wife!!

Posted 14 December 2006 - 07:45 AM

Oh boy, I talked to Terry, he said he had tires on backorder as well. Hopefully they will be in by the end of the year <_< what?! Then I remembered that is in a few weeks.

I have never considered the Avon because I was quoted $180.00, of course this was at a Harley dealer that sold Ural's as well.  :beerchug:

Please?! Why don't you order about 20 for me ..NOT.

I guess I will order a sheit-load of them when I can find some.  Hmmm.In the mean time, I'll have to replace the wheel bearings in my spare and put the true and balanced tire in the garage until I can find some Uralshinas.

Maybe we can have Herbie ship us a few Avons at that price? Oh but Sterling pounds are about 2X the amount of the dollar for exchange rate yes?

See you guys ...E :wino:
Sprint ST Rider
2001 Triumph Sprint ST-SOLD
2005 Triumph Thruxton- SOLD
2006 Ural Patrol-Made in the land of Magog

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with me." Jesus Christ- letter to the lukewarm church-- Revelation 3:20  

Anyone ever ask themselves, "why is Jesus on the outside of the church door???"

#11 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 14 December 2006 - 10:25 AM

Last time I needed tires for the 650, the Uralshinas were on backorder.  I ended up getting some 3.5" x 19" Cheng Shin tires form a local dealer that work well.  

They are not as wide or beefy looking as the Uralshinas, but they also sell them at JCWhitney for about $35/each and are easy to get.

Link: http://www.jcwhitney...ID:100000209015

JC Whitney Item No:ZX621666B

I hope they don't drop the Uralshinas!  Maybe we all need to pool our money and buy a shipping container fulla them buggers if IMWA isn't gonna carry them anymore.

Site Admin for Soviet Steeds Motorcycle Forums - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums - An independent "collective" for Soviet, Russian, and Ukrainian motorcycle enthusiasts
Now visit the Soviet Steeds Photo Galleries - http://www.sovietsteeds.com/galleries - Add your own pics.

#12 herbie

herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:11 PM

John,
I run Cheng Shin tyres on my 1954 Royal Enfield Model 'G' and for that fitment they work really well and seem to hold up better than the Avons and Dunlops I've used in the past. No problems with handling or grip to date (can toch the footrests down without difficulty). Mind you, it's only kicking out 15bhp. They even make a ribbed fron in the correct 3.25 x19 size for the front.

Herbie

#13 JohnBG

JohnBG

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,017 posts
  • Interests:Jesus, my family, Urals &amp; AK-47s...

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

View Postherbie, on Dec 14 2006, 12:11 PM, said:

John,
I run Cheng Shin tyres on my 1954 Royal Enfield Model 'G' and for that fitment they work really well and seem to hold up better than the Avons and Dunlops I've used in the past. No problems with handling or grip to date (can toch the footrests down without difficulty). Mind you, it's only kicking out 15bhp. They even make a ribbed fron in the correct 3.25 x19 size for the front.

Herbie

I've been running the Chen Shins on my 650 Tourist for over a year now.  They seem to be working well.  Not bad for a $35 tire.

Although I was hoping once I burned through this set of tires to switch back to the Uralshinas.   I like the looks of the Russian tires better.  But if ya can't get them.... :thumbsup!:

#14 bear

bear

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

My tires are toast.   I have thread showing through one of them.  I do not want to buy $120.00 tires, that is $480.00 before shipping and mounting,  I do the tire changing, but still.  Mark at Uralnw was telling me if I could hold on they were getting another brand of tires in the next month that would be less but he couldn't give me a definite price yet.  A buddy of mine said that if I could find a radial in that size it would make the bike handle better because you would not have the sidewall flex.  I have no idea, and I don't think I would find a radial that size any way.
2004 Patrol
2000 GS
1995 CR

Enjoy the ride.

#15 herbie

herbie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 01:00 PM

Bear,
I would have thought a radial would flex more...In the UK we have things called Reliant Robins a kind of a car with three wheels (one at the front). I loved 'em, great fun - had five!! The factory recomended CCROSSPLY tyres for the best handling. They were suposed to wobble a bit with radials due to the extra sidewall "flex". However I always fitted radials to mine and they went just fine. Couldn't be pestered hunting about for crossply tyres.

Just a thought'
Herbie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users