6 replies to this topic

#1 philtyler

philtyler

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2018 - 10:51 PM

Hiya guys and ladies. I am a new member of this forum and this is my first post. A little about myself. I am recently retired although I still work occasionally. I have always been a 2-stroke fan. I grew up in England and I bought my first bike around 1968/69 which was an Ariel Golden Arrow. Followed by a Leader, a Norton ES2, then a couple of Suzukis which included a highly tuned and unreliable T20 which I road raced. While racing, my road bike was a MZ ES250 which was a superb machine. The front end went up when you braked. A good handler too.

When our kids were little, cars were the way to go, but I now ride a 1972 Jawa 350 which I resurrected after many years of non-use. It's a dream to ride on the quiet roads around here. Which brings me to the other point of my post. I love the idea of rebuilding/restoring and eventually riding an IZH 2-stroke. A Planeta would probably be my first choice. The last IZH I saw advertised in Oz was a Jupiter twin which was in SA about 9 months ago and it looked in pretty good condition in the photos.

I am located in the south west of Western Australia. One gent from somewhere over east contacted me a few days ago saying he had a 175cc Voskhod which he was considering offering up for sale. So you never know what is out there. Contact me if you have an unused one and feel free to contact me even if you don't.

A happy new year to members.

Phil

#2 Garbage Bear

Garbage Bear

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Bmw R71, Ural M72, M61, M63, M67, Kmz K75o, K65o, Dnepr MT.

Posted 06 January 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hi Phil!  
If you want to use the bike for sidecar purposes and you want 2 strokes  definitely Izh  is the cheapest solution.

For sollo bike I recommend you Minsk 125 instead heavy Izh or Woskhod. Minsk is net superior those  through  wheels, suspension, engine, weight, price, spare parts, etc. I used all Russian bikes for my daily needs and for me Minsk  125 is definitely the winner. A price quotation in my emisphere for a Minsk in good shape is about 3oo Us $.

Cheers !
urseemilian@gmail.com
0040  721 888 403

#3 philtyler

philtyler

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 07:39 AM

Thanks for your input Garbage Bear......  Apart from the Voskhod, a fellow only a couple of hours away from me spoke to me about a 1957 Jawa 350 he has had in storage for many years. Too expensive and too many unwanted parts with it. Great to hear from someone in Romania...

#4 propwash

propwash

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

I have a Planeta 5 in the USA.  Probably too expensive to ship.

#5 philtyler

philtyler

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

USA is a bit far.................

#6 willing412

willing412

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 06:10 AM

Phil,

I have a 1973 IZH Planeta 3 that I am currently refurbishing. I am based in South Perth and would love to show you what I have done so far, even though it is not for sale (at this point)

Ian

#7 philtyler

philtyler

Newbie Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:20 AM

Hello Ian. Great to hear about your Planeta 3. I would love to see it. I live in Donnybrook but come to Perth quite often to watch the Perth Glory. Probably won't be up for this Saturday's game but will be coming up on the 7th March for a couple of nights to see my daughter who is coming to Perth. I should also be in Perth on Saturday 10th March to watch the Glory. If any of these times are likely to suit you let me know. As my info says, I ride a Jawa at the moment and have just taken on the task of fitting a Honda brake to it for improved stopping power.  My mobile is 0400 860 755.

Cheers

Phil Tyler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users