My Project M72.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Antiques, aviation, vintage vehicles. Good food and wine.

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Kind regards to all the members here.   I have recently purchased this bike which as far as I csn ascertain is a 1957 model.   I guess the correct lable is KMZ M72?  Anyway I love this machine and am looking forward to getting her mechanicallly right.   In the pic it looks black but it is actually blue and original paint.  I have been bringing parts in from around the globe including tyres from St. Petersburg.   2 gearboxes from the Ukraine.   Etc etc.

Well I will be asking a number of questions along the way and would appreciate your input and advice.  

MarkAttached File  IMG_2413.JPG   144.26K   71 downloads

Attached Files

#2 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

View PostEastwest, on 24 July 2017 - 09:22 PM, said:

I guess the correct lable is KMZ M72?

No, the correct label is IMZ M72. IMZ means Irbitskiy Mototsikletniy Zavod (Irbit Motorcycle Factory). Thius is the catalogue: http://dnepr-kiev.com/catalogue-m-72 .

#3 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for sorting out the correct label for me.   The fog is lifting. :)

#4 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

To be even more precise it's an IMZ M-72M. Nice bike by the way.

#5 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 05:51 PM

Thanks Peter.   I have to decide which gearbox to put in.   I have Dnepr with reverse (2nd pic) and one from soviet times (1st pic).   I am hoping the one with reverse will fit ok.   I am 56yo with dodgy knees, so reverse is better.  I can still live without it though.   Any opinions/advice?

Attached Files

#6 fatbob

fatbob

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Motorcycles & sidecars; guns; reading; music; model building; fishing; small cars

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:10 PM

Don't both of the units have reverse?  They've both got the reverse shifter?  I'm new to all of the hidden  nuances, so somebody please tell me what else I should be looking at (besides the latest Honda sales literature)!?

#7 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:15 PM

View PostEastwest, on 26 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

Thanks Peter.   I have to decide which gearbox to put in.   I have Dnepr with reverse (2nd pic) and one from soviet times (1st pic).   I am hoping the one with reverse will fit ok.   I am 56yo with dodgy knees, so reverse is better.  I can still live without it though.   Any opinions/advice?

My advice is to use the Dnepr gearbox, the Ural gearbox is ok but it has a crapy reverse which can fail much faster then the Dnepr gearbox reverse.

#8 luca.stere

luca.stere

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

View Postfatbob, on 26 July 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

Don't both of the units have reverse?  They've both got the reverse shifter?  I'm new to all of the hidden  nuances, so somebody please tell me what else I should be looking at (besides the latest Honda sales literature)!?

Usualy only the Dnepr gearboxes have reverse, the Ural units with reverse are quit rare comparing to Dnepr.

#9 Peter Williams

Peter Williams

Russian Bike Nut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:37 AM

If the gearbox has an oval cover at the gear-change lever, it has no reverse unless it is a Chinese gearbox with the reverse lever above the oval cover. On later Urals, there is no oval cover and mostly two shafts on the right hand side. If the stubby gear-lever is on the bottom shaft, it is a solo with no reverse. If it is on the upper shaft it is the reverse/neutral selector. Reverse is to the rear.  On a Dnepr reverse gearbox, reverse is forward.

View Postluca.stere, on 26 July 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

Usualy only the Dnepr gearboxes have reverse, the Ural units with reverse are quit rare comparing to Dnepr.
I'd disagree about that, but it probably depends on where in the world you are.

The Dnepr gearbox is far superior to the Ural box. However it is 20mm longer which means you will need to shorten your driveshaft by the same amount. I've got a friend in Brisbane who can provide some parts like tyres and Hardy couplings (commonly referred to as donuts) but postage costs in Australia are outrageous and sometimes it's cheaper to buy from OS. Sidecar Pro is an Australian in China and he can provide many parts at a good price.

#10 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:10 PM

All I know is both boxes came from the same seller in the Ukraine and that is how he described them.   He did say the Ural box is rare..could be dealer spin...but he pointed out it is unused 'Soviet' era.    And google translate said it had no reverse.   Mark

#11 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:11 PM

View Postluca.stere, on 26 July 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

View PostEastwest, on 26 July 2017 - 05:51 PM, said:

My advice is to use the Dnepr gearbox, the Ural gearbox is ok but it has a crapy reverse which can fail much faster then the Dnepr gearbox reverse.
Thanks for the advice..I will be using the Dnepr.

#12 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

View PostPeter Williams, on 27 July 2017 - 12:37 AM, said:

If the gearbox has an oval cover at the gear-change lever, it has no reverse unless it is a Chinese gearbox with the reverse lever above the oval cover. On later Urals, there is no oval cover and mostly two shafts on the right hand side. If the stubby gear-lever is on the bottom shaft, it is a solo with no reverse. If it is on the upper shaft it is the reverse/neutral selector. Reverse is to the rear.  On a Dnepr reverse gearbox, reverse is forward.

View Postluca.stere, on 26 July 2017 - 11:17 PM, said:

I'd disagree about that, but it probably depends on where in the world you are.

The Dnepr gearbox is far superior to the Ural box. However it is 20mm longer which means you will need to shorten your driveshaft by the same amount. I've got a friend in Brisbane who can provide some parts like tyres and Hardy couplings (commonly referred to as donuts) but postage costs in Australia are outrageous and sometimes it's cheaper to buy from OS. Sidecar Pro is an Australian in China and he can provide many parts at a good price.
Thanks Peter and everyone who has given advice.   I will have the dnepr installed.   Is there any drawings or thread here about how to shorten the drive shaft?  Is there any pitfalls or things to avoid doing?  I am an amateur.    I appreciate those contacts you gave too.

#13 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:31 PM

Here are some more pics of the Ural gearbox.  Seller said No reverse.   Said it is rare because it is of soviet times and unused.  Maybe dealer spin.   I just love buying stuff online when pickled with favourite beverage, and not regretting it the next morning :)

Attached Files

#14 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 10:49 PM

View PostPeter Williams, on 26 July 2017 - 10:16 AM, said:

To be even more precise it's an IMZ M-72M. Nice bike by the way.
Thanks Peter.   Great to nail the exact model and have narrowed my research to that designation.   And thanks for the compliment on the bike.  I love it.   There are cosmetic issues due to age and poor repairs, example the rear guard has been sprayed over in Matt black.  Not sure how to approach the restore.  I feel like just preserving her the way she is, even with negatives as they represent part of her history.   Hesitant to do a complete respray.   What are your thoughts?  I will get some better pics in the near future.

#15 Eastwest

Eastwest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Hi everyone, an update on my project.   Firstly, with great disappointment it looks like my riding days are over.. i have sustained what may be permanent nerve damage in the right arm causing loss of much use of my right hand.   So my dream of riding this unit to local cafes with the girlfriend may be that..just a dream.

Anyway...on a lucky note i have found an old school mechanic to help out with getting the bike sorted.   We removed the broken gear box and installed the old soviet one i purchased.   The Dnepr will go in at a later date as i am locating a MT 303 cardan shaft which means i wont have to cut the original.    If my arm doesn't repair itself i will just leave to soviet box in and onsell the bike with all the spares at this stage i plan to keep it.

I am keeping points ignition system even though i bought the electric upgrade.    Seems some people have had a hell of a time setting that up on M72s.   Once the gearbox went in spark was tested and the bike would not start.   Mechanic wasn't happy with the spark and sent me off to source a VW engine coil and another condenser.   The Bosch 6v worked a treat and vrrrrm, she ran.   Still lots to do..   Address the rust in the petrol tank.   I did try using hydrchloric acid which seemed to help a lot but still more to do.  I did put some chain inthe tank to help losen scale.   Any other tips?    Inline filters have been installed, new petcock added.

Keeping the bike as original as possible and don't want to overdo the expense especially if I cannot ride it.   I may just take off the sidecar and park the bike in my lounge room.   Art On Wheels.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users