Fuel tank venting

Ken Ulrich

This week end this old man took a ride, home to The little town of Cornocopia, Wi, up on lake Superior, Bought me a Wally world pup tent, slept on the ground, in a sleeping bag, now know and have a name for each rock up there., not nice. Stopped to fuel up, topped it up good, tighten the gas cap snug, went about 5 miles and "Sweet Thang" went to running on one cyl, first one then the other, back off on the throttle a bit, and would start running fine for a couple of hundred yards. Checked all the obvious things, didn't seem to fit any pattern, then it dawned on me and I lossened the gas cap, and she took off. The tiny vent hole in the cap, simply would not supply enuff air.....This can cause a lean condition at high cruise, that can lead to detonation and piston failure, so check your cap.....

The whole trip with the side detours was just under 600 miles, Sweet thang drank about a pint of Mobil one, bought a tom tom while at wally world at 145.00, worked nice, ran most of the trip at 55mph on the gps, I was really pleased with the way the bike ran, plenty of power and fuel mileage was about 37-38. Going to do some more of this if I can get away, It left me somewhat pooped, but what who cares ......Ken

This week end this old man took a ride, home to The little town of Cornocopia, Wi, up on lake Superior, Bought me a Wally world pup tent, slept on the ground, in a sleeping bag, now know and have a name for each rock up there., not nice. Stopped to fuel up, topped it up good, tighten the gas cap snug, went about 5 miles and "Sweet Thang" went to running on one cyl, first one then the other, back off on the throttle a bit, and would start running fine for a couple of hundred yards. Checked all the obvious things, didn't seem to fit any pattern, then it dawned on me and I lossened the gas cap, and she took off. The tiny vent hole in the cap, simply would not supply enuff air.....This can cause a lean condition at high cruise, that can lead to detonation and piston failure, so check your cap.....

The whole trip with the side detours was just under 600 miles, Sweet thang drank about a pint of Mobil one, bought a tom tom while at wally world at 145.00, worked nice, ran most of the trip at 55mph on the gps, I was really pleased with the way the bike ran, plenty of power and fuel mileage was about 37-38. Going to do some more of this if I can get away, It left me somewhat pooped, but what who cares ......Ken

Geez, something else to worry about. Improperly venting gas cap. Will it ever end? :feelssogood:

They don't use them vented caps anymore. The tanks are now vented out a tube on the right rear of the tank. Ya still need to check it now and then to make sure it's open.

I melted the rubber vent line one time by the simple expedient of placing it next to the hot pipe instead of inside the frame and into the gearbox "shelf" where it belongs. This brought the engine to the same sort of deal Ken got. Runs like it ain't gettin any fuel, which it ain't... and won't pull much above a closed throttle. I could hear the air being sucked around the tank cap. Opened the cap and all is well. Cut the melted part off the vent line and all is right with the world. Duh...

It will definitely get yer attention. But of all the things that will bring ya to a slow creep... I'd pick the plugged tank vent every time over the other options I'm thinkin....

I didn't think they had any " seniors only " campgrounds in Wisconsin...

Who knew?

We're headin up to Egg Harbor after next week. Time to cool off and get some cherries and cheese. Gotta hit that pickle shop in Two Rivers I think it is. Green Sonja LOVES them pickles the best and Froggy will have to carry a full case back to the mother ship. Gotta love a broad with the smell of fresh garlic pickles on her breath....

:-)

kermitski