Newbie questions about patrol capabilities

First of all, thanks, for the quick, friendly, reassuring responses to my post about the Patrol. I have decided to buy a Black 2008 Patrol, and now have some further questions.

My idea is to use this as a winter vehicle in place of an auto, and I plan to take to the roads with it regardless of weather, barring ice, but especially in fresh snow (Yes, I have a winter car if needed).

I plan to use the knobby tires in the Ural accessory catalog.

I have yet to work out a windshield/wiper, so would like thoughts on that.

This project has reached a point where I need to know more about the electrical capabilities of the bike. Specifically, how much does it put out, and will I have enough to run a few hundred watts of equipment?

Will the Ural run a full Gerbing suit with socks/gloves, heated faceshield, as well an electric heater in the sidecar? Plus a satellite radio and radar. Should I scale back from using about 550 watts? Recently, I had been running all of this on a daily driver BMW with a similar charging output. Is the Ural any different?

What, if anything, has been done to modify the sidecar for such use? Does anyone enclose the car, and if so do they heat it?

I would like to be able to carry a passenger in the car comfortably. If my passenger was in heavy leather gear and proper boots and gloves, layered appropriately, how many blankets should I have in the trunk for her?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

First of all, thanks, for the quick, friendly, reassuring responses to my post about the Patrol. I have decided to buy a Black 2008 Patrol, and now have some further questions.

My idea is to use this as a winter vehicle in place of an auto, and I plan to take to the roads with it regardless of weather, barring ice, but especially in fresh snow (Yes, I have a winter car if needed).

I plan to use the knobby tires in the Ural accessory catalog.

I have yet to work out a windshield/wiper, so would like thoughts on that.

This project has reached a point where I need to know more about the electrical capabilities of the bike. Specifically, how much does it put out, and will I have enough to run a few hundred watts of equipment?

Will the Ural run a full Gerbing suit with socks/gloves, heated faceshield, as well an electric heater in the sidecar? Plus a satellite radio and radar. Should I scale back from using about 550 watts? Recently, I had been running all of this on a daily driver BMW with a similar charging output. Is the Ural any different?

What, if anything, has been done to modify the sidecar for such use? Does anyone enclose the car, and if so do they heat it?

I would like to be able to carry a passenger in the car comfortably. If my passenger was in heavy leather gear and proper boots and gloves, layered appropriately, how many blankets should I have in the trunk for her?

Thanks in advance,

Pete

Well, for starters, you can ditch the radar detector. The rig won't go fast enough to get you in trouble unless you are really careless in a school zone. That should save you a few watts. :feelssogood:

I run electric gloves,vest and sometimes an electric blanket for the monkey, if I get one brave enough. I also use a 3/4 helmit with face sheild and a NoFog brand face mask. The main thing is if you don't have a passenger, dump the sidecar windshield, it will blast cold air up at you. I use synthetic oil for easyier starting.

The IMZ alternator in the current configuration of Nippon Denso alternator on a cush-drive coupler... will handle pretty much any winter wattage loads anybody really needs. I run Gerbings via the Heatroller digital control unit every winter. I sometimes use an electric blanket in the hack at the same time, but only a couple times. A sleeping bag zipped up around the monkey is the most effective way for them to stay warm, IMHO.

We do NOT use any of them sissified windshield thingees either on the hack or the bike. Don't care for em. A leather gloved finger will clean yer goggles just fine in rain or snow. A finger "wiper" will work well on a shield.

Knobs work best in winter, no doubt about it. All the way around, not just the pusher.

Ice screws or studs are not all that efficient except on ice or hard packed snow. they wear out quickly on pavement. They also don't provide for very good braking traction on frozen asphalt. Who woulda thunk it?

But, if you ride mostly on dirt/gravel roads in snow and ice and don't often run on pavement then I would use screws on the outside lugs only. Street/ utility tires work fine for this, ya don't need knobs on ice...

I mostly run full russian knobs in winters and the rig handles stuff pretty well. Ya still will rarely use the 2WD when on a road of any sort unless it's drifted up pretty high. The Patrol type rigs don't steer all that well when the rear pair of wheels is locked up. They DO get ya home though.... which is sometimes a very good thing.

Get a LAP ROBE. If ya ride in a lot of sleety rain and snow and run salt slathered roads there is nothing to equal the return on investment of a lap robe. You can probably get one from Holopaw Gene or go the expensive route and call Langlitz. I think they carry the right model, but it ain't cheap. I LOVE the lap robe wen used along with the wide metal Dnepr style leg shields. Very nice.

If yer gonna run Gerbings I would suggest getting the full jacket liner, not a vest. Get the Heatroller. Get the good leather heated gloves that match and plug into the wires coming out the sleeves of the liner. Don't get the heavy full suit or the pants or socks at first. I like to run in cold weather with the jacket liner under a leather jacket with the gloves. I just wear jeans and leather boots. I put the heatroller in my right jacket pocket where I can twist the knob if needed. Ya get a feel for what the setting should be and ya just leave it alone.

In EXTREME weather, like below zero F, I put on a snowmobile suit over the jacket liner. The heat will flow through and warm your legs just fine without heated pants. I use the leather topped boots with rubber feets and thermal insulation. Keeps yer toes toasty and fit under the carbs just fine.

I use an open faced helmet with a leather neck cover that goes over the ears. I add a light balaclava mask in cold weather with three holes. I change to a neoprene balaclava with only eye holes when it gets stupid cold. I have nylon mittens to add over the heated gloves but have only used em a couple times. If ya ride in stupid cold a lot I would suggest getting good quality Hippo Hands made of leather and lined with sheepskin/ wool . These are stiff enough and large enough to get your hands in and out easily and are VERY warm. Also not cheap, but how much are warm pinkies worth to ya?

Lastly..... Do NOT ride in extreme cold without a balaclava which covers yer mouth. I have lost two teeth due to them FREEZING . This is NOT a funny thing. Trust me on this.... So if yer going out for a nice long ride and it's 10 below zero F in a strong blowing wind.... don't smile much or breath through yer mouth without it bein covered up out of the wind.

Heated clothes are GREAT... but don't rely on them to always work . I've not had any trouble with mine, but I also carry stuff in the trunk to get me home if the heated stuff quits. When it's super cold out there ya can't do much in the way of trouble shooting whilst standing in the blowing snow.

It's a darned good thing we ain't SISSIES.

kermitski

SO GLAD to hear we're going year round on these bikes - keep the responses coming!

Greenmachine, I'm using Gerbing jacket/pants liner, with socks and gloves, no controller - just on. Used the K1200S down to -10F, extended periods commuting 45 miles on the NYS Thruway @85mph, do I guess I'll be just cozy on the Patrol with that plugged in.

Are you really using an open face with no windshield? I bow down to your style. I'm a full-face guy, so there you go. Yeah, I have a glove wiper, and I run an HJC snowmobile helmet with a heated shield. What if I get a really small, cool looking windshield? I dig your idea of skipping the sissy devices like windshields - just adds up to a lot of shield wiping in snow. If I get one I promise it will be the opposite of a barn door.

YES on the Russian knobby x 3! I like the looks of that tire. Believe me, if it's not winter, I will sneak a ride up the occasional ski resort, as I like to now on the 1980 Honda XL500.

I plan to split winter with the BMW and the Patrol, plus toodle my kids around and trail ride all year, so the knobbies are a must, don't you think? What kind of mileage do we get from the tires - should I just replace them every Thanksgiving? Is it just me, or are there no other tires in this size out there?

I hear the bikes don't steer well in 2wd, so how are the in the snow when engaged? I would prefer the bike to drift controllably, like the Datsun 280ZX I learned to snow drive in. Let's say I want to take a ride in about 4" of fresh. How does she handle in 1wd? Is extended 2wd operation hard on the parts?

I think I'll pass on the lap robe, if it's what I think a lap robe is. I'm still working out winter weather wear, but it will be waterproof and over Gerbings. I know where to find one if you turn out to be right on that one. On the other hand, I like the hippo hands. I never need them on the BMW, but I have a pair I used on other winter bikes. Thanks for reminding me to slap those on.

post-4554-1215021145_thumb.jpg

Very good news on the Alternator. I'll post a total of what is to be connected later.

If you ever need a frozen tooth thawed, try sipping Jack Daniels past it for a half an hour. Apply restroom hand dryer generously, then resume operation.

Pete

Lap robe is very useful. In winter it traps engine heat and warms your lower half. I live in FL and use one year around when needed. In the rain, tucked up under a AeroStitch Darian with a full face (only time I wear a helmet) I do not get a drop of water on me...not even the toes of my boots.

Lap robes have darn near endless uses other than the obvious...I've used mine as a ground cloth for road side maintenance (won't lose small parts as they fall/roll) and picinics...to sleep on...tarp for shade...water bucket...water basin...poncho...light blanket...someone even suggested a kilt. It has been one of the more useful accessories I have purchased...right up there with the RPD light machine gun.

Just pulled the trigger on a Black 08 Patrol. The guys at Adirondack Ural were real easy to deal with. They also ordered 4 snow tires for me - some German jobs I haven't heard of. Anyone know what these are about? I checked out the Russian knobby and it is WAY too soft for any asphalt use. Hordenan tire, or something like that?

Anyway, I'm excited. She's on a boat now, due in NJ Fourth of July, due at the dealer a few weeks later...can't wait.

Pete

Enjoy the winter. I ride year round as well. I use the following:

Heated grip www.hotgrips.com ERGOII model - This allows me to be untethered to the bike.

ATV mitts / hippo hands

Light weight cloves with a thin palm.

balaclava inside a full face helmet

snow mobile bibs under a leather jacket with a hoodie inside.

Leather boots

A good pair of insulated socks

I ride into the single digits with this. The only thing I could use better is the feet. I am considering the electric sock route. I also carry warmer walking clothes in the hack just in case.

I have an electric blanket for the monkey, but unless it is inside something like a sleeping bag the wind goes right through it.

There was a company in France making enclosuers for the sidecar. Everything else for sidecar enclosures I've seen is custom made. I don't know about a heater for the sidecar. That's probably over the limit for the denso. You passenger would be heated more efficiently if they have thier own plug in suit. If you don't have a pasenger who want to ride in the winter can the sidecar windshield, the wind off it hits you right in the side. Windshield , leg guards and hand guards make a big differance in the winter. I take them of when it gets over 50, the bike looks better with out them.

I've got a set of sportman guide snowmobile leathers that I can ride in the single digits confortably. Can't were them if it's over 30, too warm. No plug in's. I don't trust my "custom" electrical system enough to over tax it. When I'm going to work I have to wear a carhart suit anyway. I wear a leather duster over that. The heat from the engine goes up the duster and keeps your knees warm. It's like a convertable car top that your wear.

Bill, What do you need a lap robe for? You're in flippin Florida. I would not think it ever got below the use of an un vented un insulated leather jacket or rain gear.

Sorry no. Some one posted a link and pictures here about 3 years ago. I would not know where to start searching.

google Darrell Weber - he seems to have patented an enclosure - still working on finding more info - gotta go now

hack'd magazine hackd.com

volume 6 #4 spring 1990? Anyone got that stuff?