Proposed solution for hidden heel shifter:

rooskyrider

OK; I've been stewing for two years over that hidden heel-shifter that requires gymnastic effort to operate. I think I've finally hit upon the solution. The problem was that extending the heel-shifter to a usable location would put it into harm's way of the kickstarter. Solution - a folding extension. It will fold the heel-shifter out to a comfortable position, but fold it back up for kick-starting! Whaddayathink?

OK; I've been stewing for two years over that hidden heel-shifter that requires gymnastic effort to operate. ...............

Ural reccomends you use the ball of your foot to up shift. (see quote from the manaul). I do it this way and find it much easier than trying to twist my heel in there.

Gear shift foot pedal Is a two-arm type. When the front arm is depressed, shifting from higher to

lower gear takes place. When the rear arm is depressed, shifting from lower to higher gear takes

place. Since the heel-toe shift lever is short-coupled, you will find it easier to shift into a higher

gear if you do not use your heel to shift, rather the ball of your foot. The neutral position is fixed

between the 1st and 2nd gears. It is important to shift smoothly with a constant force and not to kick

the gear shift pedal. Serious damage may result to the shifting mechanism if the gear shift pedal is

kicked, rather than pushed.

Yankee Dog

So instead of coming up with a solution to the problem , URAL wants to re-train the riders??? probably would be a good idea for a URAL-only rider, but unrealsitic for those of us who ride a number of bikes regularly. It's bad enough that I have to rethink the turn signals every time I jump on a bike! I'll let you know how my mod works out.

OK; I've been stewing for two years over that hidden heel-shifter that requires gymnastic effort to operate. ...............

Ural reccomends you use the ball of your foot to up shift. (see quote from the manaul). I do it this way and find it much easier than trying to twist my heel in there.

Gear shift foot pedal Is a two-arm type. When the front arm is depressed, shifting from higher to

lower gear takes place. When the rear arm is depressed, shifting from lower to higher gear takes

place. Since the heel-toe shift lever is short-coupled, you will find it easier to shift into a higher

gear if you do not use your heel to shift, rather the ball of your foot. The neutral position is fixed

between the 1st and 2nd gears. It is important to shift smoothly with a constant force and not to kick

the gear shift pedal. Serious damage may result to the shifting mechanism if the gear shift pedal is

Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog

I suppose being a Newbie is an advantage here... I never got into the habit of doing it any other way, so no retraining was needed.

HOWEVER... things aren't as clear cut and easy as Ural would have you believe.

I've quit wimping out and stopped using surplus combat boots here... and when you wear size 12 Wesco Engineer's boots, it becomes a bit of an art form and a challenge to even get yer foot into the space available on a 650. :angry:

I could do it with combats, with considerable awkward difficulty... but since returning my feet to thier natural (Wesco) environment, I can't get my stacked heel anywhere near the shifter.

With these gunboats on, it's strictly toe shifting. Ball of yer foot??? Gimme a break! :thumbsup!:

Downshifting is a minor problem that you get used to... toe UNDER the shifter and LIFT.

Downshifting eats boot toes. I find myself getting a length of clear vinyl tubing (1.5" I.D., usually sold to local dairy farmers for milking machine connections) and sliding a hunk of it on the toe shifter to keep the boot damage to a minimum. It seems to last 3 - 4 weeks before it stretches out too much, falls off & gets lost.

GAVNO

rooskyrider,

I am willing to help and I am sympathetic to your plight. I work in the state of the art metal shop and would be willing to fabricate anything you can think of in the way of a fold out heel shifter.

Rob

Downshifting eats boot toes. I find myself getting a length of clear vinyl tubing (1.5" I.D., usually sold to local dairy farmers for milking machine connections) and sliding a hunk of it on the toe shifter to keep the boot damage to a minimum. It seems to last 3 - 4 weeks before it stretches out too much, falls off & gets lost.

GAVNO[/i][/b]

Good idea. The shifter is destroying my motorcycle boots. At least until I can find something that can stand up to the shifter, though my boots are destroyed from upshifting.

Thanks Rob! What I have in mind is cutting of the heel shifter and adding a simple U-channel extension with shifter pedal that will extend the heel shifter out about three inches and fold back over the shift arm when kick starting is needed. I would pin it at the end with a spiral roll pin with an interference fit in the U-channel, and the U-channel would be on the bottom. I figure it would almost NEVER need folding back over!

rooskyrider,

I am willing to help and I am sympathetic to your plight. I work in the state of the art metal shop and would be willing to fabricate anything you can think of in the way of a fold out heel shifter.

Rob

Rooskyrider,

I have some ideas on your design. Is there any way that you can send me a sketch of what exactly you are looking for? If you have a picture file, or your design on the computer in another file, can you send that to me either in a message or a comment? If you can't do that and need an e-mail address or a fax number, I can provide that to you.

Rob

Rob, e-mail me at eustisgary@yahoo.com. I'll fax you a sketch of the rough idea.

Rooskyrider,

I have some ideas on your design. Is there any way that you can send me a sketch of what exactly you are looking for? If you have a picture file, or your design on the computer in another file, can you send that to me either in a message or a comment? If you can't do that and need an e-mail address or a fax number, I can provide that to you.

Rob

OK; I've been stewing for two years over that hidden heel-shifter that requires gymnastic effort to operate. I think I've finally hit upon the solution. The problem was that extending the heel-shifter to a usable location would put it into harm's way of the kickstarter. Solution - a folding extension. It will fold the heel-shifter out to a comfortable position, but fold it back up for kick-starting! Whaddayathink?

I'm kinda late to this party so I hope you're getting help fabricating something.

Me, I just rode the darn thing until I got used to it.

I simply LOVE kicking my foot out and hitting the heel shift with just the inside edge of my heel now.

Especially if there are guys on other bikes watching!

HEEL SHIFT IT BROTHERS!

Yankee Dog

I thought I was the only one that did that. :beerchug:

quote<Downshifting is a minor problem that you get used to... toe UNDER the shifter and LIFT.

Downshifting eats boot toes. I find myself getting a length of clear vinyl tubing (1.5" I.D., usually sold to local dairy farmers for milking machine connections) and sliding a hunk of it on the toe shifter to keep the boot damage to a minimum. It seems to last 3 - 4 weeks before it stretches out too much, falls off & gets lost>quote

I can't picture this. I up shift with the heel-pressing down-I downshift with the toe-pressing down. Or I use my hand shifter pushing forward to up shift or pulling back to downshift-racheting through the gears one by one.

Bob in MInnesota

2006 GearUP