Winches. Do you carry one?

Warthog

Whilst 2WD is great, and whilst I plan to fit a folding shovel, I will no doubt get stuck on day on our travels. So I was thinking a winch!

Leave it in the boot or bolted to the chair wall, then remove and bolt to the winching platform if the need arises. Worth while?

If so, what is a good winching platform and what is a good winch? (Hand drivenb should be plenty: not bothering with electric motors!

Ideas?

what is a good winch?

Ideas?

A good winch is one who pleases you and does not get you into trouble with the wife........oh, wrong winch. Sorry! :ohmy:

The big advantage of the Maasdam rope puller is that the lenght of the pull is only limted by the length of the rope. A standard come-a-long with a 20' cable has less than 10' of pull length before you'd have to reset it, not convenient when you're only half-way out of trouble.

There is a problem we learned about my rope puller while trying to drag a rig sideways up a steep embankment last year. A wet rope will slip in the puller. It didn't slip back, but it wouldn't pull any further. In this particular case it was nice to have the combination of the rope puller and a couple of regular come-a-longs which could be reset a couple of times.

The big advantage of the Maasdam rope puller is that the lenght of the pull is only limted by the length of the rope. A standard come-a-long with a 20' cable has less than 10' of pull length before you'd have to reset it, not convenient when you're only half-way out of trouble.

There is a problem we learned about my rope puller while trying to drag a rig sideways up a steep embankment last year. A wet rope will slip in the puller. It didn't slip back, but it wouldn't pull any further. In this particular case it was nice to have the combination of the rope puller and a couple of regular come-a-longs which could be reset a couple of times.

Hey David:

Was the type of rope that slipped on you in the rope puller when wet Nylon?

Hoot Owl Pete

Great recommendations folks!

I had not thought of the free-hanging rope puller type assemblies. These seem like a great idea. I had imagineddrliin two bolting platforms: one at the front, on at the back on which to wingnut a maritime winch, this would mean butchering my chair panels for a tool I would rarely use (unless my riding goes down hill - excuse the pun!!). This means that I can simply chuck it in the boot, or put together a bolt point on the chair to secure it.

Down side of storing in the boot, is that I need to locate it somewhere I can reach however the rig is orientated. By this I mean I will only be needing a winch like this if I am stuck, or things have gone very wrong and the outfit is upside down in a ravine! In this case, storage in the boot is about as much use as a wax heatshield....

Hey David:

Was the type of rope that slipped on you in the rope puller when wet Nylon?

Hoot Owl Pete

No, it was the cloth 25'(?) rope that came with the Maasdam puller.

ps: Warthog, one person can usually upright a turtled rig. Don't ask how I know:(