britian is repossesing the USA

awol ali

Aww yes, our wonderful second amendment. :thumbsup!:

I finished restoring this fine old war implement yesterday for my collection. 1944 SA Garand.

HA! You can't have these anymore in merry old England, can you? You folks really messed that up for yourselves. Personally I'd like to see an accounting of those good lend-lease rifles we sent you. Melted them down to make tea pots did you? :feelssogood:

Aw well. Ya made up for it for many years with some danged fun little sports cars. I did love my 1969 Triumph Spitfire!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finally got to take it to a range last week along with my new to me Finnish M39. Also a 1944 rifle.

WOW!

Both are more accurate than I am. Neither needed any sighting in. They were spot on right out of the gate! Functionally flawless too.

The bark of those big old rifles got some attention from the folks with their .223s and .22's and 9mms. :thumbsup!: "Recoil Therapy" from a full sized 30 cal rifle is a wonderful thing! Old Military rifles always get alot of smiles at the Marine range I use.

I had to put in an order for a case of milsurp 30.06 with the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program. One of the few truly good government programs we have! since that Garand is definately a keeper! I was using some 60 year old Yugo made milsurp ammo in it and it grouped like I was using a target rifle.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Finn's M39, they are widely available on the surplus market right now. I got mine from Classic Arms in NC. It was in as close to unissued condition as a 60+ year old rifle can be. It is just beautiful. The Finns take marksmanship very seriously much like the Swiss. So their service rifles are amongst the worlds most accurate.

Rich-

I hope you haven't overlooked the Swiss! A nice K 31 would really help round out your growing collection. Exceptional craftsmanship, highly accurate, and just plain purdy!

Rich-

I hope you haven't overlooked the Swiss! A nice K 31 would really help round out your growing collection. Exceptional craftsmanship, highly accurate, and just plain purdy!

I looked hard at them. They are great rifles. But I can't afford to feed one. Ammo is expensive. And the unique caliber means the ammo is only for one rifle.

My Garand has already done that to me. I'm trying to not not get a crazy collection that becomes too difficult to feed at range trips!

This is one reason I like my Mosin Nagant and similar rifles. M44's, 91/30's, M39, PSL all take the same round. Although I am told the M39 prefers heavy ball over the light ball ammo I have. I find it fun to see how well you can do using milsurp ammo instead of expensive match ammo. Kind of like seeing what kind of performance you can get from your Ural vice buying a new BMW. :rolleyes:

I've targeted my hand gun collection (Pun intended.) into three calibers. 45 acp, 357mag and 9mm Mak.

Anyone else here do that? I find there are certain rounds I admire and then get interested in the guns that use them. Backwards from most folks who admire a weapon and it just happens to use a certain caliber.

I try to do something similar myself. Since I work at a range, I have been concentrating on firearms chambered in calibers I don't have to pay for! .357 SIG, 9mm, 38 Special, 380 ACP. Unfortunately my agency hasn,t had the forthought to issue any weapons chambered in .30-06 for my Garand or .45 Colt. :unsure2: I hate to have to actually "buy" ammo, that stuff is expensive. :rolleyes:

Ammo is becoming a major cost as it seems to go up every month.I reload maybe 8 different pistol calibers so I can buy quite a variety of pistols without having a new caliber enter into the picture but I have never reloaded rifle ammo.Mainly I shoot .308 .223 and 30-06. looked at the CMP ammo and maybe 3 months ago found the same Greek surplus ammo in Garand clips in bandaliers at Cheaper than Dirt for a few bucks cheaper with shipping so I ordered from them.There isn't much .223 or .308 surplus out there lately and the prices are much higher than a couple of years ago.I know I have a few wooden cases of PMC .233 that I bought a couple of years ago and I paid $155.00 a thousand .Cannot find any at double that price now.I tend to shoot the pistols more and the rifles less because of the cost.

CATFISH

• 4 weeks later...

HoHum, the fleet street press is at it again, wake me up if the Brits invade in the dark of nite.....and get past Hoboken, We'll dig up George, stand him up .....and watch them melt away..... :thumbsup!: Ken

It's the Irish you gotta look out for.

Actually it's the French, for they seized Yorktown when some other stupid people wanted to attack New York - certain defeat! And the debts to France were apparently never repaid, which make the U.S protestations of last century and early this century about the French seem quite hollow - bloody Frogs!