dogs under load

urabus

Hey All,

Rounded up a 96' tourist the other day :laugh: , got it home cleaned the carbs, syncd, replaced all fuel lines and filters, flushed tank, cleaned petcock.

Running stock Mikuni carbs, jetted at P=35 M=110 air screw 1.75 out. needle on richest setting (tried middle) Carb adapters aren't the prettiest. But anyhow I wack the throttle and a huge bog and dies if I don't tickle it back to life, or trying to take off it won't rev up and dies.

Plenty of fuel in lines.

I'm new to Ural and am stumped.

I've searched and couldn't find the LIGHT in a post.

Any ideas would be great.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

Lyle,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm going to replace the adapters and I'll get some jets and try that. I'm in Duluth on the other side of the state.

I'm at 900 Elev and jetted mine at 125 mains, and 42.5 pilots. I'm still a tad lean on the pilot side. I did have the exact jets you have and had the same prob.

As it warms you you'll learn to gradually open the air control. But these rigs were jetted incredibly lean from the factory. You can get jets at Paul's Small engine mail order in Minnesota. Sudco has them but you need to order them in packs of 4 from them. Your in a neat part of the state. Lots of Rallys over there. Keep in touch.

Hey All,

Rounded up a 96' tourist the other day :laugh: , got it home cleaned the carbs, syncd, replaced all fuel lines and filters, flushed tank, cleaned petcock.

Running stock Mikuni carbs, jetted at P=35 M=110 air screw 1.75 out. needle on richest setting (tried middle) Carb adapters aren't the prettiest. But anyhow I wack the throttle and a huge bog and dies if I don't tickle it back to life, or trying to take off it won't rev up and dies.

Plenty of fuel in lines.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

A bit off topic but

The United Sidecar Association is having their national rally in Duluth on the June 13 weekend at the Buffalo Campground. I guarantee you would have some fun if you attend.

for info: www.sidecar.com

Hi Wade,

I also have a 96 tourist with Mikuni's. After a year of tweeking, the current settings on mine are P = 40, M = 110, needle clip set in middle, and air screw 2 1/2 turns out. idle at operating temp is around 1100 rpm. At these settings, the bike accelerates and runs well with no spitting or bogging when warm. I can duplicate your symptoms if I don't slowly open up (lean out) the air shutter as the engine warms up over the first couple miles, or forget and run it with one, or both enrichers on.

Steve/Columbus

Hey All,

Plenty of fuel in lines.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

Thanks for all the input,

On a side note are you early 650 guys still running the type I ign.?

What plugs are you running and what are you gapping your plugs at?

I hear they like a pretty close gap (.025") and NGK BP6HS plug.

Wade

Hi Wade,

I also have a 96 tourist with Mikuni's. After a year of tweeking, the current settings on mine are P = 40, M = 110, needle clip set in middle, and air screw 2 1/2 turns out. idle at operating temp is around 1100 rpm. At these settings, the bike accelerates and runs well with no spitting or bogging when warm. I can duplicate your symptoms if I don't slowly open up (lean out) the air shutter as the engine warms up over the first couple miles, or forget and run it with one, or both enrichers on.

Steve/Columbus

Hey All,

Plenty of fuel in lines.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

Yes to all three.. type I, .026", and NGK BP6HS plugs.

One more possibility about your stalling out.. Check the air cleaner filter and see how dirty it looks. If its bad enough, I think it could choke out the engine.

Steve/Columbus

Wade

Hi Wade,

Steve/Columbus

Hey All,

Rounded up a 96' tourist the other day :feelssogood: , got it home cleaned the carbs, syncd, replaced all fuel lines and filters, flushed tank, cleaned petcock.

Plenty of fuel in lines.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

Hey Steve,

I was just out tinkering, I regapped to .025" and checked filter, (horse hair/fishing line nest) filter is clean and lightly oiled.

It seems if the motor is not fully warm and shutter is closed or close it will rev. But when warmed will not rev or move under load.(stalls out)

New carb to head adapters are on the way as well as jets.

W

Yes to all three.. type I, .026", and NGK BP6HS plugs.

One more possibility about your stalling out.. Check the air cleaner filter and see how dirty it looks. If its bad enough, I think it could choke out the engine.

Steve/Columbus

Wade

Hi Wade,

Steve/Columbus

Hey All,

Rounded up a 96' tourist the other day :feelssogood: , got it home cleaned the carbs, syncd, replaced all fuel lines and filters, flushed tank, cleaned petcock.

Plenty of fuel in lines.

Elevation around 850'

Thanks,

Wade

You need to rejet. the 110 mains were for bikes sold in high country like Montana. And even there, was too lean. It'll take forever to warm up and still run hot. You'll be continuously tinkering with the air control until it gets real hot which will take awhile.

I have the type 1 ignition but check to make sure there's no play in the rotor that gets wallowed out. I was going to have a guy laser some and another guy sent me one as a template but I never really heard back. That wallowed out rotor is still an issue in my bike as there's still a little play in mine. If you can find new carb adapters that fit let me know.

Hey Lyle,

I ordered some adapters from Crawford and was told that they are the ones, Mikuni vm30-200 I spoke with sudco and they said the number changed from the old number of vm30-200 to vm30-288. I pulled a carb and bang the mikuni part number of vm30-200 was raised in rubber. price was around $50. +shipping a pair.

I ordered 125 mains, 40, 45 pilots from Dennis Kirk.

I haven't pulled the front cover to even see what is in there. (SOON)

If you have measurements of the of the piece I have a shop that is local that lasers or punch presses pieces for us and I can send a CAD drawing to them and see what come back with (they like to work in S/S)

I run a cutting table and cut gaskets for a couple companies around the area and have been looking at the Ural gaskets and saying HMMMM.

W