What do you consider milestones?

Hey gang,

I just turned over 20,000 on the od. yesterday, blazin' away at 60mph.

I just wish I could figure out how to change my old signature, and how to stop chrome from rusting.

any problems until now? :thumbsup!:

this evening, as I pondered this question on the way to pick up some light bulbs

how much to recall, how much to tell, how much to forget, how much to look forward to,

I sneezed in my helmet

LMFAO!

any problems until now? :thumbsup!:

this evening, as I pondered this question on the way to pick up some light bulbs

how much to recall, how much to tell, how much to forget, how much to look forward to,

I sneezed in my helmet

Hey gang,

I just turned over 20,000 on the od. yesterday, blazin' away at 60mph.

Good stuff, I just hit the 20,000 mark on mine about a month ago.

I just wish I could figure out how to change my old signature, and how to stop chrome from rusting.

Rust is my biggest problem, and it's a pretty big problem. The bike is looking a lot older than it is. I'm thinking that I need to strip the bottom of the hack, inside and out, and coat it in truck bed liner. Rear brakes are getting sticky too, likely because I don't use them a whole lot, I rely mostly on the front.

Tud

Rust is my biggest problem, and it's a pretty big problem. The bike is looking a lot older than it is. I'm thinking that I need to strip the bottom of the hack, inside and out, and coat it in truck bed liner. Rear brakes are getting sticky too, likely because I don't use them a whole lot, I rely mostly on the front.

Tud

Wow, sounds like you've got it way worse than me. I don't feel so bad!

My rust came from me leaving a tarp covering my rig while it was in the "shed", through what has been a very wet winter.

Once I realized that the tarp was causing condensation and more rust, I stopped covering it and just let the dust and occasional bird doo doo fall.

It's mainly that my wheels aren't so pretty anymore, which can probably be fixed with some TLC.

As for the front brake / rear brakes issue...

I know you die hard vintage look guys like the front drums.

I would be scared to ride in some of the heavily congested, semi-truck, college girl on cell phone, rush hour traffic that I ride in without a front disc.

The front disc brake HAS save my life a few time already.

Most notably the time that I popped up over a hill on a "back road" and a black angus cow was standing in the middle of the road.

Steer in the direction of your skid.

I have American made friction material on my drum brake shoes on my Dnepr. The shoes are also arced to the drums. I can stop very quickly.

The drum front brake rigs can be made to stop just about as well as the disc brake rigs. It just takes a little more care with assembly and the choice of materials, something the factory often didn't do.

Dave

The Patrol is one year old today. 9000 km.

One turn signal flasher, and changed the pusher tire....That's it. Regular maint. and is used almost every day.

Probably the best investment I've made in a long time. [ gas just went to $3.55 this morning.] Cheers :thumbsup!:

Probably the best investment I've made in a long time.

No doubt the best "entertainment" bang for the buck I've ever spent.

and can be somewhat practical too -- now I make up reasons to need to go to the grocery for my wife.

I think she's starting to get suspicious

Maybe not the best monetary investment I have ever made but certainly the most entertaining and all out fun. And with gas prices going up daily it may even start to pay for itself.

As for rust I am gonna try POR 15 (Paint On Rust). It is expensive but comes in shiny black that matches my bike. I am just trying to keep after it and spot it as it occurs. For the chrome I am going the sand and rattle can route. Don't quite know what to do when the rims go. :rolleyes:

[ gas just went to $3.55 this morning.] Cheers :unsure2:

hmm petrol (gas) here in england, is £1.08 a litre and diesel for wifeys sprinter van is £1.17 a litre

ali :cheers:

hmmm wonders why i ride my ural more @ 45 mpg, than my enfield @ 75 mpg.

Still a Newbie here... need another 450 clicks to get to the official "The Engine Is Now Broken In" number (2500 km).

THAT'LL be a MAJOR milestone... I can finally stop easing off the throttle when the bike hits 50! :thumbsup!:

In any case... I must be doing something right here. It's an 8 year old rig, and every time I take it out I keep getting "SHARP bike, Man!". Big surprise... last night at Buckshot's Bar I got it from a couple of Harley Yuppies!

I suppose the BIGGEST milestone I'm looking forward to... when I reach the point where (A) I'm finally satisfied with carb balance and mixture settings, and (B) the bike is satisfied with it and she starts running cooler!

GAVNO

Don't quite know what to do when the rims go. :unsure2:

Mine have gone. The paint on my painted rims has flaked off in many places, and the rust was quick to take it's place. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about them yet, so for now I just keep riding it. :thumbsup!:

Last weekend I took a toothbrush, a baby food jar of engine degreaser and an old t-shirt and finally cleaned off the winter crud from the engine. A slow, tedious process, but for the most part the engine looks like new (with the exception of the space between the fins, that's kinda hard to get to).