mudguards (fenders) and tank change

awol ali

hello folks,

i have been thinking of trying to give ruby my 750 ural outfit a "cleaner look".

i'd like to change the petrol tank for one with smoother lines ie without a toolbox and want to change the mudguards (alright "fenders" lol) for a pair that dont have the sides in them.

anyone attempted this? which tanks/fenders did you use?

ali

I bet you could find someone that would jump at the chance to trade a standard Ural tank for a toolbox tank. I have a Dneper tank, also called a Ural toaster tank that is a straight bolt on opperation. Sorry I'm not offering that one for trade but you could probaly find a Dnepr tank that would suit your needs. The Cross Bike we played with at SpitS 05 had an IZH tank on it that Ilya quiet liked the lines of. I don't know if the mounting points had to be moddified. A guy we rode with at the Jersey Devil Hunt a couple of years ago put a tank from another bike on his Dneper with one homemade mounting point. One mounting point is a bad idea for offroad use.

I'm with Ken on this one, swap your tanks with another Ural owner. Other tanks can be fitted but do it carefully, that is a lot of weight when full.

As far as mudguards, the rear is structural. Even if you did reduce it then the grab rail and tail/turn lights would be out of proportion? I don't think your passengers would care for reducing the skirting on the sidecar mudguard either.

The front mudguard can be replaced with many aftermarket units. It looks like you have a LL front end. There is an article that you can find at the header of this page with instructions of a low mount on a LL front end. FYI: I used a similar method to mount a Harley fender on my Tourist. I found that after that after installing a smaller/lower fender that the fork tubes "looked" too thin and unsubstantial. I ended up installing a horn and lowering my aux. lighting to try and fill the gap.

post-121-1206402785_thumb.jpg

thanks, didnt realise rear mudguard was structural hmmm, david your front mudguard is mounted how i want mine.

will try to find someone to swap tanks with, unfortunately mike im in england, cheers anyway.

The rear is structural mostly for a passenger, rack, or saddlebags. If you don't have any of those, then you just have to deal with the grab rail and lighting. There is a channel on the underside of it to conceal wiring. You'll have to deal with them if you're trying to keep it clean.

Here's the link from the Articles section http://www.russianiron.com/lowering_the_le...ront_fender.htm

That's a very nice installation, I kept it a bit simpler and it worked fine. It is a bit strange at first to see the front fender "roll" back when the shocks compress while riding. There is a lot more verticle travel than you might think, I scraped some paint off the fender after installing a horn between the fork legs. The key to finding an aftermarket fender is the right radius. I tried a Ural fender from an 18" telescopic fork, but it wasn't the right shape. I ended up with something for a Harley 21" springer. Here is a closer photo, in case it helps.

post-121-1206451979_thumb.jpg