How fast am I driving? Call 1-800-442-9253

VTHacker

Howdy, all:

So, my speedo quit rather spontaneously... '01 Deco (650)... about 1,000 miles on the clock. Now, I know I'm not going to break any land speed records, but it'd be good to know how close I am to 25 mph in the school zones. Well, how close I am to 40 kph, anyway.

Howdy, all:

So, my speedo quit rather spontaneously... '01 Deco (650)... about 1,000 miles on the clock. Now, I know I'm not going to break any land speed records, but it'd be good to know how close I am to 25 mph in the school zones. Well, how close I am to 40 kph, anyway.

My speedo jumps around so much I have only a vague notion of speed. Buy a cheapo GPS and handlebar mount. My $100 Garmin will give me speed, trip odometer, time, direction. etc.

Who was it here that rebuilt a speedo?

They are cheap on eBay... no excuse....

Use your gear change interval to give you a good indication of your speed.... 1st gear up to 15, second to 25-30, third to 45-50 and fourth to 100. :thumbsup!:

Dub

GPS units are great and I have one myself - on my "travel" bike. My Ural and my Royal Enfield do just fine with $15 electronic bicycle speedometers. Accurate to 1/10 MPH.

You will probably will have to do some bodging to get the sensor mounted right but it is only about an hour job from start to finish.

One caveat: Throw the magnet they give you in the kit away and get one from Radio Shack to glue onto your wheel.

Sarge :feelssogood:

Some of those bike computers are wireless, for a slightly easier install. I have a Cateye one from REI, I think it was about $30 or so.

Listen to the Sgt on that magnet - the clamp they give you is sized for a bicycle spoke and will never fit to a motorcycle one. The magnet is on a threaded post, though, so if you might be able to mechanically secure it with a threaded hole or a hole and nut arrangement.

I just JB welded the Radio Shack magnet to the hub and mine works fine.

Some of those bike computers are wireless, for a slightly easier install. I have a Cateye one from REI, I think it was about $30 or so.

Listen to the Sgt on that magnet - the clamp they give you is sized for a bicycle spoke and will never fit to a motorcycle one. The magnet is on a threaded post, though, so if you might be able to mechanically secure it with a threaded hole or a hole and nut arrangement.

I just JB welded the Radio Shack magnet to the hub and mine works fine.

I bought one at walmart for 8 bucks. I also used JB weld on my Gear-up (front disk brake) for the magnet. Just find a place to clamp the sender where you can also mount the magnet someplace on the wheel to get a close proximity without them touching. I found 1/4 inch or less works.

These units are great. they convert mph to kph--also have an odometer and trip meter in both miles and kilos.