Finally

Far Flung Swede

All,

In March 2006 members of the Westboro Baptist Church picketed the Westminter, MD funeral of Lance Corporal Matthew Snyder. Corporal Snyder's father has sued the church. The trial is being held in the U.S. District Court in Baltimore. It is the first individual lawsuit against Westboro Baptist.

For those of you who wish to follow the trial I suggest the web site of the Baltimore Sun - http://www.baltimoresun.com/. Search for Westboro Baptist for a list of articles on the funeral and the trial.

Macdonald

His congregation mainly consisits of immediate family members. See children, this is why you shouldn't f*&k your sister.

Those people will never be bankrupt. The brainwashed congregation will always pony up whatever amount of cash the "good" reverand needs to pay off those sueing him. Worse they will support him as he "rebuilds" the church in god's name.

Wow, I am a born again Christian. This is sickening that any church could degrade and disrespect our soldiers by supporting such an apalling sign in public.

This is not any witness I wish to represent me. This is a similar response I get when I see the abortion protesters carrying signs of aborted fetuses. I think that abortion is clearly wrong, but this gross behavior repulses me.

What do you think Jesus would say about being represented to the world like this?

Matthew 24: "Take heed not to be deceived, many will come in my name saying "I am the Christ.""

Those people will never be bankrupt. The brainwashed congregation will always pony up whatever amount of cash the "good" reverand needs to pay off those sueing him. Worse they will support him as he "rebuilds" the church in god's name.

With the millions that I expect should be awarded they will end up preaching from under a tarp and in debt for the rest of their lives. The congrigation ain't that big and any funds ponied up should and probably will be siezed to put make payments.

Don't count on them having to pay a cent. They'll thow their status as a church up to the court. Then will come free speach. Then they'll say they were only exercizing their religeous and social freedom to peacably protest against goverment actions. Then they will hit them with persecution of religion, just because they're not mainstream christians. What we'll end up with is the court ruling that they have the right to protest peacably anywhere they wish. So as long as they broke no laws in this protest and never break a law in future protests, they'll get off scott free. Won't cost them a dime.

It costs time and money to go to court, keep them in court, all the time....wear em out....Ken :rolleyes:

This is a civil suit not a criminal trial. Differerant laws apply. O.J was found not guilty but had to pay out in the wrongfull death suit. I know this may be stiring up a hornets nest but, remeber the black woman who sued over her son being lynched? Even though no one had been found guilty she ended up owning the Klan meeting hall.

They just have to prove damages. Mental anguish, pain and suffering, slander of their family's good name. I'll bet you a case of #9 westboro has to pay out and pay out big.

I think I saw where they got stung, but good....Ken

Yup, a judgment of $11,000,000. :beerchug:

I'm sure the family will never see a cent, but getting these people tied up in court and off the streets will be a good thing.

I agree, they'll never pay a cent of that money to the family. Further the judgement will probably be overturned. But the saving grace in this is that they will probably end up paying at least that much in court costs and wasted time taking up through the courts to get that reversal.

Ah-hum, like I said....Ken :beerchug:

I think I saw where they got stung, but good....Ken

Baptists!! Who needs um!

I am kidding (trying to bring some humour to a sad situation).

Seriously, I cannot imagine that happening here in Canada. The war in Afganistan is not popular, but when soldiers have lost their lives over there, they make a funeral procession from the airforce base they arrive at, to Toronto, where they are taken by their families. All along the 240KM trip, people line the overpasses and applaud them. Very moving.

Berger