Bills Old Bike Barn visit

mracer

Last weekend we took our boy on his longest trip ever. 2.5 hours... And of course the destination had to have been worth the risk of having earfuls or ...not. Actually he proved to be quite the adventurer and been a great trooper through out the whole day.

...As for the destination - well, it was a vintage bike lover paradise. When we arrived there was only a few people and I had the bikes all to myself. And then all of a sudden I hear the roaring of many motors and before I know it the museum was full of Harley riders and some Harley girls as well. I was lurking in that group and stole some interesting explanations when it came to the R75 that was sitting there looking all... perfect :) One guy was explaining about the Urals and Dnepr’s and others that were listening to him looked all perplexed. Somehow I managed to keep my mouth shut ...The guy was doing good enough. As I went outside I got to check out their rides and there were some nice ones including a few old sportsters. That's when I noticed that one of them is leaking fuel. As the riders were coming out, I asked whose bike that was and told the owner about the problem. It was a fuel line that was split right next to the filter. He got a little confused and also had no tools with him what so ever to do anything about the problem. Others had nothing to offer either and actually didn't seem to care for his problem although he was in their group... Now that's when it was my turn to be surprised... I can't see how a biker on a day trip would not carry at least a pocket knife... and what about his fellow riders? Nobody cared to help him at all... nor had any tools with him or her... I did, a nice Eddie Bower edition Swiss Knife with all those strange attachments and he used it to cut the line and tighten the hose clip on the fuel line. I was glad to be of help but was very surprised that not any of his fellow riders came to help or had any tools. There must have been over 20 of them... Strange... Weekend warriors’ maybe? Somehow I don't see the same thing with the RI type guys.

"Maybe I should invest into one of these"... were the last words of the guy before he disappeared into the cloud of dust and exhaust smoke, deafening us with the roar of the bikes' open pipes in the show of masculinity. "Good idea and maybe you should find some new riding buddies" I replied while slowly walking back to our trusty family hauler, a 1992 Honda Accord. He didn't hear me... but good luck anyway

Here is a link to photos. Enjoy!

http://public.fotki.com/mracer71/bills-old-bike-barn/

Last weekend we took our boy on his longest trip ever. 2.5 hours... And of course the destination had to have been worth the risk of having earfuls or ...not. Actually he proved to be quite the adventurer and been a great trooper through out the whole day.

...As for the destination - well, it was a vintage bike lover paradise. When we arrived there was only a few people and I had the bikes all to myself. And then all of a sudden I hear the roaring of many motors and before I know it the museum was full of Harley riders and some Harley girls as well. I was lurking in that group and stole some interesting explanations when it came to the R75 that was sitting there looking all... perfect :) One guy was explaining about the Urals and Dnepr’s and others that were listening to him looked all perplexed. Somehow I managed to keep my mouth shut ...The guy was doing good enough. As I went outside I got to check out their rides and there were some nice ones including a few old sportsters. That's when I noticed that one of them is leaking fuel. As the riders were coming out, I asked whose bike that was and told the owner about the problem. It was a fuel line that was split right next to the filter. He got a little confused and also had no tools with him what so ever to do anything about the problem. Others had nothing to offer either and actually didn't seem to care for his problem although he was in their group... Now that's when it was my turn to be surprised... I can't see how a biker on a day trip would not carry at least a pocket knife... and what about his fellow riders? Nobody cared to help him at all... nor had any tools with him or her... I did, a nice Eddie Bower edition Swiss Knife with all those strange attachments and he used it to cut the line and tighten the hose clip on the fuel line. I was glad to be of help but was very surprised that not any of his fellow riders came to help or had any tools. There must have been over 20 of them... Strange... Weekend warriors’ maybe? Somehow I don't see the same thing with the RI type guys.

"Maybe I should invest into one of these"... were the last words of the guy before he disappeared into the cloud of dust and exhaust smoke, deafening us with the roar of the bikes' open pipes in the show of masculinity. "Good idea and maybe you should find some new riding buddies" I replied while slowly walking back to our trusty family hauler, a 1992 Honda Accord. He didn't hear me... but good luck anyway

Hey mracer,

Sportster owners have to buy thier own tool kit. I bought a sportster brand new in 2004. It didn't even come with a sparkplug wrench! I was delighted to see the tool set that came FREE with my 07 patrol.

Mysportster is a great bike and is fun....but as for the Harley crowd....only the old school Harley guy's can wrench. Most of them don't have a clue and just buy the cheap HOG roadside insurance.

Thumbs up to you for helping the guy out :rolleyes:

Great max, but yer messing the kids mind up, e' don't have any grease on him yet from crawling under a few greasy ol Harleys......couse I understand mom was watching...next year....Ken :laugh: :rolleyes:

Great pics! Thanks for the link :rolleyes:

Great pics, looks like it was a great trip. I couldn't help feeling a little thirsty near the end though, not sure why. :rolleyes:

My boys are 4.5 and 7 and the wife is still refusing to let me gear them up and get them in the hack. We're going to have a loud discussion about it one of these days. The 7 year old perked right up when he heard that I got my first bike when I was 7 (a Honda Z50 that I had to share with my older sister and brother).

Thanks Max! Cool pictures. I may have missed it, but where is this place? My wife and I will be passiing through on our way to see he folks in Tennessee, in October, and this might make a nice stop. Chris

Tud - Thisrty... whatever gave you that idea...:rolleyes: :laugh: I haven't tested the waters yet about the kid in the bike... The wife loves the bike. So maybe she won't mind the kid in it either. But firstly i got to see how soon i can sneak him into my 75 91 and the 89 M3 with open exhaust... I don't know, he might actually like those two - they are no less loud then he is :P

Ken... You always show the insight... Yeah, mom was watching like a hawk, from about 100 yeards away as i held the kid with me while the whole fixing of the Sportster affair. And my hands did smell of gasoline. The kid was all into it too, watching quietly without a sound. Something tells me one day he might just teach me a thing or two about wrenching... hopefully. Mom never said anything but i did feel the cross hair on my back the whole time. Another words she is a true to herself MOM... god bless her for all her hard work.

Vanman, I see about the tool kit... But still, why not just build a small set for the road... I don't know, maybe it's just me as my very limited expirience with bikes rests on a 3 year ownership... or rather wrenchship hmmm... ok... but yet pleasership... :rolleyes: of a 1958 M72, I just can't leave home without tools... and often find them all over my pockets after i get home ... or by my wife... in a washer... making a terrible racket... She said we ought to get money from Sears for testing their washers...

Chris - here is the website with all the info. It is right off I-80 in Bloomsburg, PA. Great roads, beautiful scenery. It's the best of Pocono area. Just the drive and rest areas worth the time.

http://www.billsbikebarn.com/

Vanman, I see about the tool kit... But still, why not just build a small set for the road... I don't know, maybe it's just me as my very limited expirience with bikes rests on a 3 year ownership... or rather wrenchship hmmm... ok... but yet pleasership... :rolleyes: of a 1958 M72, I just can't leave home without tools... and often find them all over my pockets after i get home ... or by my wife... in a washer... making a terrible racket... She said we ought to get money from Sears for testing their washers...

You are absolutely right. I do carry tools when riding any distance from home. Its always good insurance.

It's also good to ride with buddies that won't leave you hangin.

I love this bike. And the pool of oil beneath it!

:rolleyes:

That R75 was VERY well renovated... anbd looks like he rides it too... lucky bugger!

Fine young man there Max!

He'll be handing you tools in no time at all!

Dubski

post-434-1189263789_thumb.jpg

Dub, I loved that one too! What a great idea for the rear rider - a set of his or hers ( although unlikely) bars. Looks like both the riders needed them too! :)

Paul, well there you go, who said that straw is for horses only? :) I guess back in those days the traffic and accidents wasn't much of an issue.

I really can't wait to take my boy for a ride. I will have to bring this issue up to the council (wife) and get a positive decision. :feelssogood: