More on cylinder head temps

Tud

I did pick up power from the fuse block. Very little current draw so it doesn't make any difference which one. I didn't bother with the split circuit the guage calls for which would connect them to light up with the dash lights for night riding. Two wires to the sender unit in the pan. A switched hot wire with the return thru the guage to ground. Cost about 40 bucks. Google "oil temp guages" and choose the style you like. They all work the same.

I did pick up power from the fuse block. Very little current draw so it doesn't make any difference which one. I didn't bother with the split circuit the guage calls for which would connect them to light up with the dash lights for night riding. Two wires to the sender unit in the pan. A switched hot wire with the return thru the guage to ground. Cost about 40 bucks. Google "oil temp guages" and choose the style you like. They all work the same.

Thank you! :thumbsup!:

Hi--

New Ural owner here, in fairfax, ca. I favor using a digital IR thermometer (like the fluke). No mounting, just point and shoot.

And you can check your EGT while you're at it.

About a hunnid bucks, last time I checked. Grainger, most likely.

Cheers,

Uncle Bob

Fairfax, CA

1999 Bavarian Classic

Temps drop so quickly when you roll off the throttle, not to mention bring the bike to a stop and get out your laser or infra-red temp gun, there is no way you can tell what HAPPENNED, temp wise, while you were running down the road.

Real time temps are what's importrant (IMHO), not post run stationary temps.

But hey, if that's your thing....go for it. A "hunnid bucks" would be much beter spent on a CHT set up though, if you want accurate tuning info, or engine protection info.....

Just yesterday, I ordered the CHT gauge, sensors, and handlebar pod for it. Cost me a "hunnid" and 6 bucks. :thumbsup!: And it has already shipped. Apparently good service from the source quoted in the first post of this thread.

Well, I received the CHT setup on Friday, 3 day delivery from Aircraft Spruce. The install was easy enough. I mounted the gauge on the left side of the handlebars just to the left of the riser. The hardware furnished with the gauge pod was not quite long enough so a quick trip to Ace Hardware netted 2 bolts a little longer than furnished.

The sensors have a loop which goes under the sparkplugs. The sensor wires are 4 feet long and had to be coiled up under the tank to shorten them up. The Gauge itself has a short pigtail lead that marries up with the sensor leads. I was in a hurry so the install looks a little sloppy. I will clean that up this winter while I ride out the typical Minnesota cold.

A long ride on Sunday at 55 mph, 70 deg F, 45% humidity on my completely stock 2006 Gearup yielded CHT of 400 deg F left and right cylinders. The gauge was a little distracting as I kept wanting to watch the needles move up and down as I drove. Actually, they didn't appear to move much at all.

Gauge does look pretty nifty although I will be painting the gauge pod (black now) green camo later on.

post-2782-1186411868_thumb.jpg

A long ride on Sunday at 55 mph, 70 deg F, 45% humidity on my completely stock 2006 Gearup yielded CHT of 400 deg F left and right cylinders. The gauge was a little distracting as I kept wanting to watch the needles move up and down as I drove. Actually, they didn't appear to move much at all.

Around 400 is normal for me, but it drops off by about 50F - 75F at idle.

Gauge does look pretty nifty although I will be painting the gauge pod (black now) green camo later on.

Damnit!! I had the paint out on Saturday to paint my new rack, I should have pulled the gauge off and gave it a coat while I was at it. Oh well, at least it matches the black case on the speedo.

The datasheet included with the sparkplug probes should go into the "temperature compensation" issue. Off the top of my head, I believe they are calibrated near "standard temp", approx 20 C. Above or below that temp the indication needs slight correction - indicated verses true. We pilot types are use to this... :feelssogood:

Howdy All,

I have watching this thread with interest. The one thing I am concerned about when using this particular CHT gage is that it is NOT ambient temperature compensated. This leaves me wondering if the readings being displayed are the actual CHT. Looking through the different gages offered for sale, I could not find a "dual" gage setup that was temperature compensated.

This brings me to my question, those of you who have this CHT gage, have you noticed different readings depending on the ambient air temp?

I haven't had my gauge long enough to experience a wide variety of temps, but the instructions are pretty clear that this doesn't compensate and that for every degree above or below 75F ambient temp you need to either add or knock off a degree to/from the reading. Pretty straight forward.

• 7 months later...
Howdy All,

I have watching this thread with interest. The one thing I am concerned about when using this particular CHT gage is that it is NOT ambient temperature compensated. This leaves me wondering if the readings being displayed are the actual CHT. Looking through the different gages offered for sale, I could not find a "dual" gage setup that was temperature compensated.

This brings me to my question, those of you who have this CHT gage, have you noticed different readings depending on the ambient air temp?

I haven't had my gauge long enough to experience a wide variety of temps, but the instructions are pretty clear that this doesn't compensate and that for every degree above or below 75F ambient temp you need to either add or knock off a degree to/from the reading. Pretty straight forward.

Somehow, I lost the instructions for my gauge and need to see the part that tells about knocking off or adding degrees depending on ambient temperature. Can some one help me out with a copy of the instructions?

Thanks in advance

Howdy All,

Somehow, I lost the instructions for my gauge and need to see the part that tells about knocking off or adding degrees depending on ambient temperature. Can some one help me out with a copy of the instructions?

Thanks in advance

Never mind, called the company and the gauge is calibrated at 75 deg. Depending on ambient temp, just subtract or add the degrees different from 75.

Westach refreshed my memory via email in 45 minutes.