Minnesota Highway Patrol

redflasher

On the way out to my suburban office from downtown Minneapolis, I noticed I was being tailed by two Minnesota Highway Patrol riding HARLEYS...This is a new program this year in Minnesota. Gotta admit they looked pretty darn sharp. Minneapolis and St Paul departments also have a few motor officers now. Wish I was 30 years younger. I spent 25 years as a cop but no motorcycles available then. :feelssogood:

On the way out to my suburban office from downtown Minneapolis, I noticed I was being tailed by two Minnesota Highway Patrol riding HARLEYS...This is a new program this year in Minnesota. Gotta admit they looked pretty darn sharp. Minneapolis and St Paul departments also have a few motor officers now. Wish I was 30 years younger. I spent 25 years as a cop but no motorcycles available then. :smile:

I now suddenly have the CHiPs theme going through my head. I haven't seen the motorcycle troopers yet. I've seen a couple of St. Paul and Minneapolis cycles down on University Ave when I was taking surface streets to work and I think Eagan has one or two as well. Maybe they're trying to save our tax dollars by cutting gas consumption. :feelssogood:

On the way out to my suburban office from downtown Minneapolis, I noticed I was being tailed by two Minnesota Highway Patrol riding HARLEYS...This is a new program this year in Minnesota. Gotta admit they looked pretty darn sharp. Minneapolis and St Paul departments also have a few motor officers now. Wish I was 30 years younger. I spent 25 years as a cop but no motorcycles available then. :smile:

I now suddenly have the CHiPs theme going through my head. I haven't seen the motorcycle troopers yet. I've seen a couple of St. Paul and Minneapolis cycles down on University Ave when I was taking surface streets to work and I think Eagan has one or two as well. Maybe they're trying to save our tax dollars by cutting gas consumption. :feelssogood:

I was at the University of Minnesota today and saw a Minneapolis Officer park his bike at Stub and Herbs.

I can't help but think the Emergency Response Team(SWAT) could use a GearUP or two...

I KNOW that Eagan has one... I saw it last Wed over on Yankee Doodle RD. LOL.... he saw us, too, <drat>

Im a First Responder here and will probably respond to calls in my Patrol. Never know where we get calls sometimes. No one thinks to bring their 4 wheelers to a deer hunting call!

I KNOW that Eagan has one... I saw it last Wed over on Yankee Doodle RD. LOL.... he saw us, too, <drat>

Im a First Responder here and will probably respond to calls in my Patrol. Never know where we get calls sometimes. No one thinks to bring their 4 wheelers to a deer hunting call!

The funny thing is, I don't recall ever seeing one in Eagan in motion before. When I've seen the bike, it's been just the bike. Parked somewhere.

Clearly we're going to have to get you a siren for your Patrol now. Hmm... does that make it tax deductible for you?

I doubt it. I would have to donate it to the FD for that, I think.

I *do* have the first aid box on the back of the hack tho! Looks cool!

Maybe I could hunt up one of those old 'wailer' horns???

Where did you get the first aid box from?

You can get the First Aid box from one of your fine local Ural dealers, check em out on the Ural site.

The Daytona Beach Fire Rescue uses Harley Davidson Electra Glides during Bike Week and Biketoberfest. They are kinda cool, Fire engine red, gold reflective lettering and stocked with plenty of medical supplies just in case.

I doubt it. I would have to donate it to the FD for that, I think.

I *do* have the first aid box on the back of the hack tho! Looks cool!

Maybe I could hunt up one of those old 'wailer' horns???

I seem to recall someone mentioning a siren that was designed for the old Urals/Dneprs that was foot operated. I could be mistaken, though.

Also, I believe that any time you use a vehicle (or, really, any personal equipment) in your job (paid or volunteer) the government allows you to take a certain amount of deduction on it for depreciation/milage, etc. See previous disclaimer, as I'm not an accountant and you should consult a tax professional (I think HR Block answers simple questions for free). :P

And right now I have this funny image in my head of the hack tub replaced with one of stretcher contraptions they had on the sides of the helicopers in MASH and you racing (as much as a Ural wil "race") down some back country road with a non-ambulatory monkey strapped into it, siren wailing. I know it's unrealistic, but still humorous to me. :laugh:

The town where I live had an article in the local paper stating that they got a HD through a homeland securities grant.A few weeks later the first motorcycle cop had an accident with it.The town fixed it and the police chief found another cop to ride it. Well about a month later this cop has an accident.The town fixed the bike but the chief put it in storage.It's a small town maybe 25 cops total and the motorcycle cops are still out on injury from the accidents.I guess the chief had enough it was costing him too much money .

CATFISH

Yobe is correct. I asked for mine when I put money down on my Patrol. Dave mounted it for me. It looks pretty sharp, if you ask me! :feelssogood: Ill try to get a pic of the backside of the Ruble and post it. Its been getting rained on, so should be able to see it OK.

I think you are correct about the volunteering thing, galen. I remember doing my taxes and there was something about 'time' I like your thinking tho... when we *do* have that situation, Ill make sure to get someone to bring the camera to take a pic! It wouldnt be a horrible thing to do if need be. strap the patient to the back board, then place the head behind the driver with the feet to the hack nose.... oh boy... what have I started! lol

Ive already warned one of my Ambulance members that it will probably be at a scene. Wont be any mistaking where dispatch is sending them! :smile: For some reason, people dont know where they live! :laugh:

My hometown HD donated a bike to the PD. I think only the chief gets to ride it, but when I go back, its usually sitting out front of the copshop. hmmm... ill have to point out the sign at the end of the block that says 'no bikes on sidewalk'! :laugh:

Am chuckling... The Cal Highwy Patrol rides flat twin Beemers now. If we all band together, and put some political pressure on Govenor "Terminator", maybe we can persuade him that Urals are just cheaper Flat Twin beemers.

Would be a real hoot, to see a "chippie" scrunched up on a Ural, red lights flashing, trying to catch a speeding grandmother in her soccer wagon.

Best wishes

John Panyon