Exhaust question

baggerman

Pulled a friends GU muffler today and noticed a baffle in the pipe between the muffler and header pipe. Any benefit in removing them?

Dick

Answer to question in two parts.

a. Those aren't baffles, those are the catalytic converters.

b. yes. the exhausts will flow more freely.

Pulled a friends GU muffler today and noticed a baffle in the pipe between the muffler and header pipe. Any benefit in removing them?

Dick

Hmmmmm! I would not have suspected catalytic converters on non California models. Maybe and extra horse or 2? As long as the airfilter is not changed there should be no need for rejetting correct?

Dick

Hmmmmm! I would not have suspected catalytic converters on non California models. Maybe and extra horse or 2? As long as the airfilter is not changed there should be no need for rejetting correct?

Dick

I think the EU emissions standards are pretty high as well.

Derek

Dick

c. Remove them before they explode/implode/whichever

• 1 month later...

I checked mine today and it now looks like someone has stolen them. They took a hack saw and a dremel tool and made a little ring on the pipe side of the weld and stole both of them. :beerchug: Should I call the cops? What with all that cadmium and platinum and other precious metals. They are probably half way to China by now...

I checked mine today and it now looks like someone has stolen them. They took a hack saw and a dremel tool and made a little ring on the pipe side of the weld and stole both of them. :beerchug: Should I call the cops? What with all that cadmium and platinum and other precious metals. They are probably half way to China by now...

Same thing happened to mine... :cheers:

Ya think Ural should weld these on the bike to keep them from getting stolen or falling off? :beer!:

As long as the airfilter is not changed there should be no need for rejetting correct?

Dick

I'm interested in the answer to this as well...

You won't get the full effect of the missing cats until you plop in a K&N and re-jet the carbs.

:P :P

Ya think Ural should weld these on the bike to keep them from getting stolen or falling off? :P

Do you really thing that a weld would stop anything falling off? :P

--------------

Mine also have mysteriously disappeared. :P So I had to change the stock mufflers for stainless steel fishtail mufflers. They sound a bit loud but they're OK. :P :atombomb:

Thierry

I checked mine today and it now looks like someone has stolen them. They took a hack saw and a dremel tool and made a little ring on the pipe side of the weld and stole both of them. :atombomb: Should I call the cops? What with all that cadmium and platinum and other precious metals. They are probably half way to China by now...

Ride-into-work report. The missing cats seem to add alot to my Ural. It runs smoother, seems to require less throttle to achieve and hold cruising speeds, and the bald spot on my head seems to be filling in nicely. I had already done the jet swap a couple of weeks ago to cure the cold cough in the AM problem so I should be good to go with the jetting.

I think I'll forget calling the police on this cat-napper. He can keep them. I don't want them back.

Seriously though, I haven't had my pipes off yet so have no visual in my head. Where are they located along the exhaust and what is the easiest/most effective way to remove them? Chris

what is the easiest/most effective way to remove them? Chris

i think you mean, hypothetically, if some twisted bandito were to want to steal your cats, how would such a depraved, despicable charlatan go about it :feelssogood:

also, the guy at ural nw suggested going up two sizes or so, i wrote it down but don't have it in front of me, on the slow jet, and leaving the main. what combo has worked best for y'all? i have an '06 with keihins. i haven't fooled with it yet....

when i used to fool w/ vw's we used to drill the jets out with the next size up wire guage drill bits until it hit the happy place, or peen them down with a punch to lean them out, which you always had to do with the holleys, as they came jetted very rich from the factory and would foul the plugs immediately.

what is the easiest/most effective way to remove them? Chris

i think you mean, hypothetically, if some twisted bandito were to want to steal your cats, how would such a depraved, despicable charlatan go about it :smile:

yeah, yeah, right...that's what I meant. I work in a dangerous part of town, and I've seen some suspicious characters eyeing my exhaust system... Chris