another slaughter

cubituscubitus

The media has been quick to blame the gun, no suprise there. Obviously when this guy had his background check ran when he purchased his guns legally, it came back negative and he was good to go. It's not a perfect system but it's what we have and there is not much more you can do to improve it.

Handguns are banned in DC, but statistically you have a better chance of being killed going for a stroll with your dog in the burbs of DC that on a patrol in Baghdad. Point is that criminals do not pay heed to the law of the land that is obviously why they are criminals.

What was one of the first acts Hitler did in Germany.... DISARM the Jews. We see how that worked out.

Following your logic, it would seem that Bush is preparing to wipe out the Iraqi citizens The US military will be carrying out Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's gun control policy in Iraq so that only the Iraqi governement remains the only armed entity in Iraq.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The media has been quick to blame the gun, no suprise there. Obviously when this guy had his background check ran when he purchased his guns legally, it came back negative and he was good to go. It's not a perfect system but it's what we have and there is not much more you can do to improve it.

Handguns are banned in DC, but statistically you have a better chance of being killed going for a stroll with your dog in the burbs of DC that on a patrol in Baghdad. Point is that criminals do not pay heed to the law of the land that is obviously why they are criminals.

What was one of the first acts Hitler did in Germany.... DISARM the Jews. We see how that worked out.

Following your logic, it would seem that Bush is preparing to wipe out the Iraqi citizens The US military will be carrying out Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki's gun control policy in Iraq so that only the Iraqi governement remains the only armed entity in Iraq.

No, but maybe al-Malaki.... It's his law.... :laugh:

We need more tougher gun laws. Virginia law that says even if you have a valid carry permit, you can't bring a gun on campus. Obviously, this law was not strong enough to stop young Mr. Cho... We must have a tougher law that the criminals will resepect! :wacko: :wink:

This stupid law might have prevented some honest students from returning fire. Pretty much gave Cho free will to shoot anybody without the threat of return fire from anybody but the police.

Another case of "Where guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

And by all accounts Cho was not an outlaw, at least not according to his background check, so he wouldn't have had such easy access to a gun and copious amounts of ammo had there been gun control laws.

An armed society is a polite society. :laugh:

I'd have to check, but as far as I know America isn't at the top of most people's list of the world's most polite societies. :wink: And now I'll put my foot in my mouth. :wacko:

We need more tougher gun laws. Virginia law that says even if you have a valid carry permit, you can't bring a gun on campus. Obviously, this law was not strong enough to stop young Mr. Cho... We must have a tougher law that the criminals will resepect! :wacko: :wink:

This stupid law might have prevented some honest students from returning fire. Pretty much gave Cho free will to shoot anybody without the threat of return fire from anybody but the police.

Another case of "Where guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns".

And by all accounts Cho was not an outlaw, at least not according to his background check, so he wouldn't have had such easy access to a gun and copious amounts of ammo had there been gun control laws.

An armed society is a polite society. :laugh:

I'd have to check, but as far as I know America isn't at the top of most people's list of the world's most polite societies. :wink: And now I'll put my foot in my mouth. :wacko:

You say that from the safety of Canada... :wacko:

Unlike John Kerry, I really care less wether the French like us or not...

The point I was rasing is that Cho violated the law by bringing a gun on campus (a gun law), even with a valid permit. A lotta good that law did. :wink:

How many more killings are needed to make things change ?

Let's see... Chicago has a strict firearms law: No handguns after 1981 at all, and annual licenses after that. There's absolutely NO handgun violence in Chicago.

New York has strict firearm laws, the City even more stringent. There's absolutely NO firearm violence in New York.

My little town of Evanston has a no Hangun law, and some very draconian weapon laws too. There are absolutely NO instances of violence here either.

Stricter controls do absolutely NOTHING to remove the guns from the hands of those that want them. More laws only serve to erode what little freedom we pretend to have here in the People's Republik of homeland insecurities. Besides, he purchased the guns legally. WITH proper identification and required federal checks.

Why wasn't the perpatrator of this latest violence 1) locked up for mental illness in the jfirst place. He had a history of stalking, threatening behavior, etc. OH, sorry, can't lock him up- he's not nuts, he's just "troubled". Who got paid off when he was taken by the campus police the first time for "counsleing" and let go? Had he been hospitalized or 'tagged" tihe a mental health problem the first time, it would have shown up during a REQUIRED check whenever anyone buys a firearm.

Who do you blame? The gun? The bullet? Society? The parents? the counselor who let him off the first time? ---> I know, let's blame everyone but the wacko who actually did it. Find the easiest scapegoat with deepest pockets to sue. That'll fix everything- let's sue everyone and enact more useless laws.

Sheesh.

:laugh:

Where life is held in such cheap esteem, guns are a means of eradicating life, if you don't have a gun, a knife will do, or better yet a sword, cut down a sapling, make a spear, will do the job fine.....Three shot gun will cure the problem....really....ever hear of reloading? People of all cultures came to this hemisphere to escape draconian laws on wealth,releigeon, land ownership, the stewarts of these draconian laws wanted no one to possess, any instrument to defy their powers, this was recoginized by the founding fathers, who made it balance out by providing that all men were able, as a birthright to keep and bear arms, but not to break the laws with them! In the eastern part of the US, politicans and organized criminals were and are the biggest backers of gun control, the politicans and the criminals can then use theirs for their bloody purposes. But when they over step that invisable line, the people may well rise up, and that is what the forefathers intended. This is a cruel world, it is not all democracy 24/7, it ebbs and rises with public sentiments, there is no place completely safe anywhere in the world, NO PLACE!!!!! Live by the sword, die by the sword, same applies to the gun, use it wrong fully and what goes around will come around, sure as god made little green apples....this is the world we live in, no man can change it...get real...live with it....Ken

Chicago has no handgun violence...yea people get holes in themselves from falling out of second story windows, Illinois people come up to wisconsin to buy their pop guns, which were at one time owned by criminals who found they had a hot gun, and sold them to hock shops in wisconson .....No handgun violence in Chi-town....hogwash...Ken

Ken,

I think there was a bit of sarcasm intended there.

"And a Glock is a FULLY automatic weapon! "

"A real man would pull the cocking lever to the rear..."

And you were a weapons mechanic? I guess that just proves anyone that is completely ignorant of the terminology and details of what they are working on can still work on it. You need to recheck the definition of an automatic firearm. Perhaps you meant auto-loading. And maybe you meant operating rod, or hammer.

It's been long overdue that liberals stop the knee-jerk, feel good, type of legislating that they always want to do after some tragedy hits. And it's time we started placing the blame where it belongs, the criminal.

I have a comment,

When I was young gun safety was taught in schools. Schools had shooting teams and discipline. It was a world with no political correctness, if you called me a honkey I kicked your butt, if I called you a name and there were hundreds of them I got my butt kicked.

We hung with people because they were good people looking for some clean fun and respected our elders. There were whites, blackes, browns, reds and yellows.

Most of all they were just plane old AMERICANS and proud of it. And because we were united the world respected us. When we saved them from domination in Europe they said thanks now give us some money after all you blew up our country saving us from Hitler.

A more current example would be the hardened aircraft bunkers in Kuwaiti which were bombed by us during the first golf war when Iraq invaded Kuwaiti. These bunkers were built by the French. The French had sold the bunkers to the Kuwaitis as bomb proof and the Kuwaitis wanted there money back. The French have been trying to sue us for bombing the bunkers. Quote it’s the Americans fault not ours that the bomb proof bunkers we build were blown up by the Americans???????

I am sorry I ramble in short if you don’t like us

1. Don’t take our money

2. Pay back what we gave you so you can criticize without feeling guilty

3. Don’t ask for help again.

4. And most important if you do need help ever again go P!$$ up a rope.

God bless and thank you for letting me vent.

Tim

:beer!:

I have a comment,

When I was young gun safety was taught in schools. Schools had shooting teams and discipline. It was a world with no political correctness, if you called me a honkey I kicked your butt, if I called you a name and there were hundreds of them I got my butt kicked.

We hung with people because they were good people looking for some clean fun and respected our elders. There were whites, blackes, browns, reds and yellows.

Most of all they were just plane old AMERICANS and proud of it. And because we were united the world respected us. When we saved them from domination in Europe they said thanks now give us some money after all you blew up our country saving us from Hitler.

A more current example would be the hardened aircraft bunkers in Kuwaiti which were bombed by us during the first golf war when Iraq invaded Kuwaiti. These bunkers were built by the French. The French had sold the bunkers to the Kuwaitis as bomb proof and the Kuwaitis wanted there money back. The French have been trying to sue us for bombing the bunkers. Quote it’s the Americans fault not ours that the bomb proof bunkers we build were blown up by the Americans???????

1. Don’t take our money

Tim

Didn't the French save you 'Mericans from remaining an English colony? Don't make us Canucks come down there a burn the whitehouse to the ground....again! :beerchug:

Everyone's pistol terminology is a little off.

Single shot pistol=holds one round, shoots one round with one pull of trigger.

Revolver pistol=holds 5 to 8 rounds, usually 6 in cylinder. Shoots one round per pull of trigger/hammer until cylinder is empty. Single action requires manual cocking of hammer before trigger can be pulled and weapon fired. Double action is self cocking and only requires trigger pull to fire.

Automatic pistol=a magazine fed pistol. Magazine is usually 7 to 13 rounds but can be more or less. First round fired is either single action or double depending on design. Addition rounds are AUTOMATICALLY chambered and further manual cocking is not required. One round is fired per pull of trigger until magazine is empty. This is commonly and incorrectly referred to as "semi-automatic". So yes, a Glock is an automatic pistol.

Machine Pistol=an automatic pistol with full automatic capability (selectable or full time). A single pull of the trigger when held down results in rounds being fired until the magazine is empty or the trigger is released.

Semi-automatic is a rifle term which has been applied to automatic handguns erroneously.

Any automatic pistol can be modified/altered into a machine pistol illegally. As can semi-automatic rifles.

The fellow that shot everybody was illegal when he purchased the gun. He was being treated for depression which is a disqualifing condition listed on the purchase/background form. He lied when filling out the form or purchased the weapon from a private seller.

I didn't say anything about a glock, I don't recall presenting my self as a gun expert, I once srarted to do gun smithing as a side line, I built some pretty good rifles and shotguns, I enjoyed it, I shot skeet and trap, loaded black powder, hunted duck, deer, and about anything else. My next door neighbor in 1965 brought over his dad's LeFever 12 ga double. He had been a game warden for years in La. I made some new firing pins, tightened up the thing as best I could, and returned it....free of charge. a week later the old man shot his wife, and then him self.... I lost a lot of sleep over that and backed away from gun repair and the crazies, who then as now blame the gun for all the worlds troubles, previous to that I taught a young man who had been orphaned at the age of a few months, he was raised by his aunt and uncle, the uncle ran a sinclair station in waco,texas where I was stationed. I taught Bobby how to ride a 125cc Harley corn popper as we called them, he rode that for a year, and for his graduation from high school, they bought him a new 1953 Triumph thunderbird. Bobby let the speed go to his head, I cautioned him about riding to fast, He ran into the rear of a dump truck, driven by a cousin, I happened on the scene within 2-3 minutes, Bobby died in my arms literally, I cried tears for two days, I went AWOL, CO understood and let me off, I was a pall bearer, I vowed to never teach anyone to ride again, Insurance repaired the bike, I was offered the bike free, I could not accept it. I still say a prayer now and then for Bobby, I look at goggle earth and see the cemetary north of waco where bobby is buried, that beautiful metalic blue Triumph did not kill Bobby, His own youthful, fearless attitude, brought about his down fall. I learned from all these experiences. when i started flying in 1955, I realized how easy it is to bring about your own down fall, I have personally known quite a number, who fell for one reason or another, but we can't stomp out guns, not motorcycles, not cars, not airplanes, and we can't stomp out fools who want to protect the world from everything....we have to live with them...as you have to live with me, and I am no trouble at all...end of rants :beer!: ..Ken

I have a comment,

1. Don’t take our money

Tim

Didn't the French save you 'Mericans from remaining an English colony? Don't make us Canucks come down there a burn the whitehouse to the ground....again! :cheers:

And we will in turn burn down your breweries! which do you think would be more of a tradgedy? :beerchug:

The fellow that shot everybody was illegal when he purchased the gun. He was being treated for depression which is a disqualifing condition listed on the purchase/background form. He lied when filling out the form or purchased the weapon from a private seller.

If he didn't buy one from a gun shop, a few hundred dollars will get ya a pistol with the numbers filed off from numerous back alleys or smokey bars...

IMO, All gun laws do is keep honest people from having guns. If a criminal or psycho wants one bad enough, they will get one eventually either by stealing one or from the black market.