Help the planet - Ditch the Prius, Get a Hummer!

JohnBG

Hey! Sudbury, home of the Giant Nickel isn't that bad, the lakes are nice and clear, mind you there is no fish or life in them........

Acid rain has its charms.

Actually, they have "greenified" much of the former moonscape around the city, but the rub is that they did this by building the smoke stacks so high that the noxious stuff gets blown hundreds of miles away, much of it south of the border.

I agree with the logic about hybrids though, huge initial investment for a very questionable R.O.I. , it makes way more sense to buy a base Civic or similar proven and efficient small car.

I didn't see any mention of the problems related to disposal of the battery at the end of its useful life. I can't image that's too green a process!

I'm waiting for fuel cell powered vehicles. There are ways to produce Hydrogen chemically that make it safe to transport the fuel without needing a high-pressure vessel in your back seat - and the by-products of the reaction can be used as raw materials in many manufacturing processes. So, once again, the lack of infrastructure is the real stumbling block...

Dwight

I'm waiting for fuel cell powered vehicles. There are ways to produce Hydrogen chemically that make it safe to transport the fuel without needing a high-pressure vessel in your back seat - and the by-products of the reaction can be used as raw materials in many manufacturing processes. So, once again, the lack of infrastructure is the real stumbling block...

Dwight

who cares about fuel cells in the way distant future - if ever.

and gas/electric hybrids? they're for chumps! they still run on GAS. duh.

what someone needs to do is get off their arse and build a DIESEL-electric hybrid, which could then even be run on bio-diesel fuel, straight vegetable oil, or even filtered waste vegetable oil. and bonus - bio-d can be stored, transported, distributed and sold with our CURRENT infrastructure. no GW & GM flim-flam cheap salesmanship needed.

and a Hummer better than even gas/electric??? puh-lease!

my piston-ported, 5% mix, Vespa SS180 is better than those penile compensators!

-B

Diesel hybrids are on the way already m8

:thumbsup!:

And they will be here MUCHO sooner than you think....

Dub

what someone needs to do is get off their arse and build a DIESEL-electric hybrid, which could then even be run on bio-diesel fuel, straight vegetable oil, or even filtered waste vegetable oil. and bonus - bio-d can be stored, transported, distributed and sold with our CURRENT infrastructure.

A Lister diesel hybid!

I want a Listeroid for my shop.

One of these with the proper genset could power my house all day with a few gallons of waste donut/french fry oil: http://cgi.ebay.com/Lister-Type-Slow-Speed...1QQcmdZViewItem

I keep eyeballing them, but it would be a $5K project and I would have to build a shed for it.

The ultimate hurricane standby generator!

Fuel Economy.....I love how this works....marketing to an image is what I call the Hybrids. When you really think abot it, most Americans pay more per gallon for drinking water then we do for gas....the people buying the Hybrids are the same folks who drive 15 miles to save .03 cents per gallon..... :feelssogood:

PS thats why I ride a motorsickle year-round.....32mpg on the Ural and 43 mpg on the Sprint ST...

Howdy All,

The last time I was headed to Death Valley as I was fueling up my Cummins powered Dodge I got into a spirited conversation with an eco-terrorist who was driving one of those prius POS. I was minding my own buissness when this prick comes up and starts yelling at me for ruining the planet by driving my gas guzzler vehicle. I continued filling the truck as this nut job rattled on. After a while I asked him what his car got for mileage, he smiled and said 46 miles per gallon. I then asked him what his car weighed, he didn't know so I told him that his car weighed approximately 2,500 pounds. I then told him that my truck, with the camper loaded on it, towing the trailer with two Urals loaded in it came to around 20,000 pounds and gets 11 mpg.

So I said lets do some simple math. I took my calculator out of the glove box I and punched in some numbers. To keep it simple I used the cost of $3.00 per gallon for both gas and diesel fuel. Using these numbers I figured it cost the Pris driver $3.00 to drive 46 miles. I then divided 46 by 11, this came out to 4.18182, round this off to 4.18 multiply this by $3.00 and it costs me $12.54 to drive those same 46 miles. At this point the guy was saying there I told you so your wasting fuel. I then said now wait just a minute I am not done yet, he asked why, I said because we haven't figured the amount of work done while those 46 miles were covered. I then divided 20,000 pounds by 2,500 this came out to 8.00. This means that my gas hog truck burned 4 times the fuel to do 8 times the work over the same distance. I asked the guy if he understood what I had just showed him, he was SHOCKED at these numbers, I laughed. I said lets take this a bit further, if my truck burns 4 times the fuel but does 8 times the work, divide 8 by 4 and you get 2, that means that my truck actually gets TWICE the mileage per the amount of work done as your car. At this point he turned around and stomped off shaking his head and mumbling to himself. Did I say how much I LOVE my truck.

Geez, I'm stuck on the part about the guy coming over and telling you off. For all we know he could be some hyper-consumer and have a house full of crap, most of which oil was used in the process to produce.

Howdy All,

The last time I was headed to Death Valley as I was fueling up my Cummins powered Dodge I got into a spirited conversation with an eco-terrorist who was driving one of those prius POS. I was minding my own buissness when this prick comes up and starts yelling at me for ruining the planet by driving my gas guzzler vehicle. I continued filling the truck as this nut job rattled on. After a while I asked him what his car got for mileage, he smiled and said 46 miles per gallon. I then asked him what his car weighed, he didn't know so I told him that his car weighed approximately 2,500 pounds. I then told him that my truck, with the camper loaded on it, towing the trailer with two Urals loaded in it came to around 20,000 pounds and gets 11 mpg.

So I said lets do some simple math. I took my calculator out of the glove box I and punched in some numbers. To keep it simple I used the cost of $3.00 per gallon for both gas and diesel fuel. Using these numbers I figured it cost the Pris driver $3.00 to drive 46 miles. I then divided 46 by 11, this came out to 4.18182, round this off to 4.18 multiply this by $3.00 and it costs me $12.54 to drive those same 46 miles. At this point the guy was saying there I told you so your wasting fuel. I then said now wait just a minute I am not done yet, he asked why, I said because we haven't figured the amount of work done while those 46 miles were covered. I then divided 20,000 pounds by 2,500 this came out to 8.00. This means that my gas hog truck burned 4 times the fuel to do 8 times the work over the same distance. I asked the guy if he understood what I had just showed him, he was SHOCKED at these numbers, I laughed. I said lets take this a bit further, if my truck burns 4 times the fuel but does 8 times the work, divide 8 by 4 and you get 2, that means that my truck actually gets TWICE the mileage per the amount of work done as your car. At this point he turned around and stomped off shaking his head and mumbling to himself. Did I say how much I LOVE my truck.

Dontcha just love these overly smug "green" pricks who believe everything the media and Al Gore feeds them? :beerchug: In our efforts to "save the planet" sometimes we end up doing more damage. :feelssogood:

I had a similar coversation with a fella at a local bike night when I told him the Ural gets about 30mpg versus his 650 bike that got 40mpg. When I explained my rig weighed twice as much as his and could haul 5 times the payload, he shut up quickly. :laugh:

I love it!.... Toyota Pious...I wish I could remember the website in Europe which has a gasoline powered car that gets over 100 mpg based on weight, decent design, and lack of pandering to the oil companies. Didn't seem to sacrifice safety to get there either (according to the propoganda, anyway) Many improvements could be made to our simple gasoline powered cars if it wasn't for the stranglehold that the oil companies have on the situation, at least in the US. I'll find it.