Harley Union goes on strike

Yobe

Ah, the ever-popular "it's not just like me, so it must suck" thread.

Many Harley dealers are buttheads; agreed. Many owners are posers, and so are Royal Star, etc. owners (in fact, they're even funnier). Many Muslims are terrorists. Many evangelical Christians are bigots.

So what? Doesn't make everything associated with any of these groups automatically bad.

Mac, try and find anything made entirely in the US by a US-owned company. It's a flat (in the economic sense) world.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HD spends a fortune on R&D, builds a bike that is meant to endure and does not overuse the planned obsolesence method of marketing. Sure the Union wants m ore mo. Thats why those people pay union dues. The Jap bike manufacturers change so many things every year on so many models soley for the purpose of having the consumer buy a new vehicle every year or two. You think that the folks that work in the Honda plant don't get paid well. Go to Japan and try to live on the same budget you live on in your home country. The plants can afford to do that because they sell the average multiple bike buyer a bike every few years, and make having a bike so enticing that a lot of people buy one just to be cool. Give the workers a crappy paycheck, get a crappy product in return. Our bikes are living proof of that. You want BMW technology dont buy a Ural, buy a BMW. You want Harley looks, prestige or whatever it is you buy a Harley for, you pay for it. You want dirty hands and a weak mind buy a Dnepr, I did. I ownb a Harley and have for the past 37 years. The crappiest Harlely I ever owned was a new one, so I went back to the older ones that I could work on myself. I don't own a Harley t-shirt, or anything with OCC on it and only one shirt with West Coast Choppers on it, and it was a gift about 8 years ago and is top quality baseball jersey with sewn on patches, no silkscreen crap. I dont wear harley accessories, I dont buy my girl stupid Harley ear rings and crap. As a matter of fact the only thing Harlely on my current Harley is the flywheels and the top end minus the fuel injection system. I doubt that much more Harley stuff will get put on unless it is better and cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

Ace

Mac, try and find anything made entirely in the US by a US-owned company. It's a flat (in the economic sense) world.

I agree. I mentioned this a few threads back. Not much is made (Entirely) here anymore. It took every action we made, but we did this to ourselves.

The point is even if your employer covers you with no our of pocket, you are still paying for it.
I think workers understand this,  that is why they get so upset when their employer doesn't honor the agreement.  The worker took a cut in pay to have the health care,  then the employer makes them pay for it without reasonable compensation to cover the cost.  Or when they retire after taking pay cuts for years to have health care when they retire the company reneges.

I don't get SS even though I have the credits, so don't bitch about that to me.  401k's on average do not cover a worker's retirement as well as a pension most workers 401ks will only last 7-8 years after retiring.  Those who do the best with 401ks are at the top in management.

- No state Income Tax

- Lack of Unions

- Lower Wages

- State and Local governments offering tax incentives

- Affordable Housing

- Great Weather

- Lots of Golf Courses

I don't own a business, but if I did that would be attractive. But as a worker the lack of a union and low wages would not be enticing. Golf is walking around a park with a purpose, I have no use for it. I don't know where you get the great weather comment from, Everytime I watch the news Florida is on fire or getting hit by a hurricane.

Or Tornadoes

You know the reason most of us that are not Harley owners like to pick on them is because we are either too poor or cheap to buy one. That and the pleasure of being different, Harleys have become so ubiquitous in the last decade or so.

Mac are Urals union made? Your trying to be funny right?

I would not be suprised if the Harley workers have striked themselves out of a job. Unions just don't have the power they used to.

Workers of the World Unite! You have nothing to loose but you jobs (chains).

"The union makes the workers prosperous, but not the country. " Huh? If it weren't for the Unions you'd be working 60 hours a week for $2 like China. Believe it or not, unions have directly or indirectly improved your life. And no Company starts out as a Union company, they get unions because they try to get rich by s@#ing their employees. And John, Say you could opt out of SS and you invest your extra money (which a lot of people would'nt) and you're 80 something and the stock bombs. Who's going to support you now? Taxpayers thats who.

"The union makes the workers prosperous, but not the country. " Huh? If it weren't for the Unions you'd be working 60 hours a week for $2 like China. Believe it or not, unions have directly or indirectly improved your life. And no Company starts out as a Union company, they get unions because they try to get rich by s@#ing their employees. And John, Say you could opt out of SS and you invest your extra money (which a lot of people would'nt) and you're 80 something and the stock bombs. Who's going to support you now? Taxpayers thats who.

Yep, that's right. Like vacations, 40 hour weeks, employer healthcare, safe working conditions, minimum wage, anti-descrimination statutes? Thank your local Union. None of those things came to you without a bloody fight.

If you look at this from Harley's perspective they are doing the company a favor by striking. They have a backlog of 2006 bikes still on the floor and the 2007s are pushing the back door of dealerships off the hinges. Look at how many dealerships have lost thier "bar and shield" rating since they have not moved enough bikes the last season.

Harley now has to pay NO manufacturing payroll at the slowest time in the year and they still have enough inventory to meet the market so they could care less right now about the union's demands. Wait about 2 months and they will "agree" and be back at work.

HD spends a fortune on R&D, builds a bike that is meant to endure and does not overuse the planned obsolesence method of marketing. Sure the Union wants m ore mo. Thats why those people pay union dues. The Jap bike manufacturers change so many things every year on so many models soley for the purpose of having the consumer buy a new vehicle every year or two. You think that the folks that work in the Honda plant don't get paid well. Go to Japan and try to live on the same budget you live on in your home country. The plants can afford to do that because they sell the average multiple bike buyer a bike every few years, and make having a bike so enticing that a lot of people buy one just to be cool. Give the workers a crappy paycheck, get a crappy product in return. Our bikes are living proof of that. You want BMW technology dont buy a Ural, buy a BMW. You want Harley looks, prestige or whatever it is you buy a Harley for, you pay for it. You want dirty hands and a weak mind buy a Dnepr, I did. I ownb a Harley and have for the past 37 years. The crappiest Harlely I ever owned was a new one, so I went back to the older ones that I could work on myself. I don't own a Harley t-shirt, or anything with OCC on it and only one shirt with West Coast Choppers on it, and it was a gift about 8 years ago and is top quality baseball jersey with sewn on patches, no silkscreen crap. I dont wear harley accessories, I dont buy my girl stupid Harley ear rings and crap. As a matter of fact the only thing Harlely on my current Harley is the flywheels and the top end minus the fuel injection system. I doubt that much more Harley stuff will get put on unless it is better and cheaper than the aftermarket stuff.

Ace

Ace I had a wholesaler trying to sell me OCC Christmas Tree skirts I didn't buy any but if you want one they still might have some. Rick

Whats a Christmas tree? Doesnt matter. If it wears a skirt, my girl will just kill it.

Ace

I can understand union mentality form a early 1900's philosiphy...

But what functions do unions realy serve today in protecting workers or developing businesses?

OSHA handles all of the safety problems. And the ones they don't the trial lawyers take care of.

40 hour work weeks, workman's comp, disability, medical leave, child labor laws, etc. are federal and state laws now.

What functions do the unions serve today? I'm curious to hear an answer. All of the sweatshop long hour dangerous stuff has just been pushed overseas. The unions for the most part represent "muscle jobs" that are being outsourced so fast, it makes your head spin. Maybe the unions ought to go to China and India and start organizaing there where it's needed?

Hell yes, I'd opt out of social security in a heartbeat in I could. WWith a mixed low risk portfolio based on T-Bills and minicipal bonds, it would still outperform SS by a long shot.

Let me ask you this. When you die, who gets your SS benefits? Now if ya kad a 401K, who gets that when you die?

Social Security is one of the most sexist and racist programs out there. White women live into their 80's. Black men are lucky to see 60.

SS is a "promise" by congressmen and Senators that the money will be there (even tough they pissed it away) when you retire. It's a fricking Ponzi scheme. And Ponzi schemes collapse sooner or later.

It's a moot point anyway. SS will be bankrupt by the time I am eligble for it in 25 years. My Dad is one of the early baby boomers (1944) and will be eligible to retire soon. Then the fun begins when 77 million people of er 5 years are added to the rolls. We're wither gonna hafta cut benefits or deal with really high taxes to keep it funded.

I'm throwing as much as I can into my 401K, I just wish I could throw the 6.2% of my paycheck that is being wasted on SS in there too.

I can understand union mentality form a early 1900's philosiphy...

But what functions do unions realy serve today in protecting workers or developing businesses?

OSHA handles all of the safety problems. And the ones they don't the trial lawyers take care of.

40 hour work weeks, workman's comp, disability, medical leave, child labor laws, etc. are federal and state laws now.

What functions do the unions serve today? I'm curious to hear an answer. All of the sweatshop long hour dangerous stuff has just been pushed overseas. The unions for the most part represent "muscle jobs" that are being outsourced so fast, it makes your head spin. Maybe the unions ought to go to China and India and start organizaing there where it's needed?

Hell yes, I'd opt out of social security in a heartbeat in I could. WWith a mixed low risk portfolio based on T-Bills and minicipal bonds, it would still outperform SS by a long shot.

Let me ask you this. When you die, who gets your SS benefits? Now if ya kad a 401K, who gets that when you die?

Social Security is one of the most sexist and racist programs out there. White women live into their 80's. Black men are lucky to see 60.

SS is a "promise" by congressmen and Senators that the money will be there (even tough they pissed it away) when you retire. It's a fricking Ponzi scheme. And Ponzi schemes collapse sooner or later.

It's a moot point anyway. SS will be bankrupt by the time I am eligble for it in 25 years. My Dad is one of the early baby boomers (1944) and will be eligible to retire soon. Then the fun begins when 77 million people of er 5 years are added to the rolls. We're wither gonna hafta cut benefits or deal with really high taxes to keep it funded.

I'm throwing as much as I can into my 401K, I just wish I could throw the 6.2% of my paycheck that is being wasted on SS in there too.

John, Ace didn't want one, think you could use a OCC X-Mas tree skirt? Just think of the warmth it would generate over the holidays.

It's getting to be that the only people who can afford a new HD are the people who work there. The union makes the workers prosperous, but not the country. The same with the big three Auto Companies. I will never buy a foreign made vehicle. Even if it’s made here in the US. <_< And I will never buy a new American vehicle. Only a used one.

Hey?????? Are Urals union made?

to me a motorcycle should be a fairly inexpensive mode of transportation as compared to a car...

in most cases that is not or no longer true.. i think its one of the many reasons the urals, dneprs, and changs are growing in number, lets not forget the royal enfields, all are so antiquaited yet they all share a common cause, decent mileage, easy to work on, fairy rugged...and not built out of unobtainium, like a harley...

they talk about our commie bikes being outta date, the harleys are overwieght,old tech poor handling overprice lumps that sound like a lawnmower wide open, and go about as fast, and fall apart as fast as one too.. :blink:

only difference is hd s cost in the teens of thouseands of dollars...gimme a break... :cheers:

Hmmm, let me count the times any of my Harley's over the past 20 plus years have left me stranded... Zero, zilch... never.

Let me count how many times my Ural has in the past year.... yeah... 3 times. So much for that fall apart theory. HD makes a damn fine bike... period.

Have you looked at the prices of the Jap bikes these days? A new Goldwing will run you close to 20 grand.... BMWs are just as bad. A nicely equipped Yamaha Star will run you 11 - 13 grand. So it's suffice to say that the entire motorcycle industry is overpriced.

My point is this. I want to buy American. But I don't think it's worth going into so much debt for. I also want an HD. But I'll never buy a new one. The union (it seems) is doing just fine without my contributions. Or as little as I can make it to be anyway.

John, Ace didn't want one, think you could use a OCC X-Mas tree skirt? Just think of the warmth it would generate over the holidays.

X-Mas, is that anything like Christmas? :cheers:

OCC makes Christmas tree skirts?!?!?!?! :ohmy: Holy Krap! :thumbsup!:

That's it, I'm starting VCC (Volusia County Choppers). My Pop can holler at me in ways that make Paul Sr. seem like a school-marm! :cheers: Then I can sell my own Christmas Tree skirts! :cheers: