Harley Union goes on strike

Yobe

Health care is a fight that is affecting everyone today.Most companies that used to pay for health care are now trying to get the employee to pay some portion of it.Ya John the employee not the union.I would guess you were never a union member so you wouldn't understand. The unions oppose paying anything for health care because once you open the door and pay a portion then every contract the employer wants to make your portion larger and larger so you take a stand and say no. I don't begrudge any worker what ever they can get paid because it doesn't matter if you're a union member or not unions indirectly effect everyone.The blue collar average American worker has lost ground in the past 10 or 15 years and if it isn't stopped the future generations of workers will not be able to live a middle class life style.It's important for American workers to stick together and try to improve the status of all workers and keep good paying jobs in America instead off out sourcing them over seas.Strikes hurt everybody but sometimes you have to take a stand. I hope the strike is short and the workers come out of it with a fair deal. I saw the great big E One fire truck plant in Florida and I can see why companies flock to Florida where there is a right to work law and unions are almost non exsistant.It's a real sweat shop atmosphere. I saw the job opening announcements just about every job was paid the same within maybe 30 cents difference.I guess the company figures it cuts down on job envy. I want my kids to have a better life than I did just like my parents wished for me but I have my doubts with the way this country is going.

CATFISH

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hogwash! If the cost of medical liability insurace went down, with the competitive nature of the insurance business, the "invisible hand" of economics would kick in and those savings would be passed back to the customer.
:cool: Big IF, state I am in put caps on what you could get after the hospital screwed up. the health insurance companies were all paying off the legislature left and right to get it passed and did a public campaign saying it would cut you health care in the first year. It never happened, and never will. My rates climb every year, and I am not healthy, I have a history of heart disease in my family.

Something to think about. Then again I like to try to be self relaint and not want to have to depend on the government to take care of me.
What Crap, we are talking about health insurance how companies are doing whatever they can to pass the buck to the employee. If companies are allowed to get out of responsibilities they said they would honor after the person has given them 30+ years, who do you think will have to pick up the slack? Taxpayers, we should all want business to have to be honorable and follow through on their contracts, because the taxpayers will get screwed in the end.

Health care is a fight that is affecting everyone today.Most companies that used to pay for health care are now trying to get the employee to pay some portion of it.Ya John the employee not the union.I would guess you were never a union member so you wouldn't understand. The unions oppose paying anything for health care because once you open the door and pay a portion then every contract the employer wants to make your portion larger and larger so you take a stand and say no. I don't begrudge any worker what ever they can get paid because it doesn't matter if you're a union member or not unions indirectly effect everyone.The blue collar average American worker has lost ground in the past 10 or 15 years and if it isn't stopped the future generations of workers will not be able to live a middle class life style.It's important for American workers to stick together and try to improve the status of all workers and keep good paying jobs in America instead off out sourcing them over seas.Strikes hurt everybody but sometimes you have to take a stand. I hope the strike is short and the workers come out of it with a fair deal. I saw the great big E One fire truck plant in Florida and I can see why companies flock to Florida where there is a right to work law and unions are almost non exsistant.It's a real sweat shop atmosphere. I saw the job opening announcements just about every job was paid the same within maybe 30 cents difference.I guess the company figures it cuts down on job envy. I want my kids to have a better life than I did just like my parents wished for me but I have my doubts with the way this country is going.

CATFISH

The point is even if your employer covers you with no our of pocket, you are still paying for it. Don't you think the employer factors in costs of healthcare, workman's comp, vacation, fringes and matching 6.2% social security withholding when deciding how much they can pay somebody. It's all figured in there. Now what they do is offer to pay you more but have you have to kick in for a portion of the heathcare cost. If only people would figure out that the employee pays for it all in the long run. But by sharing the costs it makes the employee more aware of the costs and perhaps pay attention to how much they are using it and how much they pay for it. Maybe then we wouldn't be taking our kids in for an MRI every time they get a stuffy nose...

Personally me, my employer covers me personally. I pay $72/week to cover my family. But that $72 is only actually about 1/3 to 1/2 of the actual insurace cost, which my employer pays the difference.

As far as Florida being a non-union state. Well, if Florida that crappy and the jobs sucked so bad didn't pay squat, then why are all the Yankees moving down here?

post-544-1170426918_thumb.jpg

Taxpayers, we should all want business to have to be honorable and follow through on their contracts, because the taxpayers will get screwed in the end.

Hell, we (the taxpayers) are getting screwed now with that pyramid ponzi scheme called social security. Wait unitl we have "single payer" national heath care, you think your taxes are high now?!?!?!

I'll tell ya what - you let me opt out of Social Secutiry and let me invest that 12.4 % of my paycheck (the 6.2% I pay plus the 6.2% my employer matches) and I'll roll that in my 401K anyday. I don't have a big 401K, I throw a few dollars in that every paycheck and it's growing rapidly.

Let's not even talk about Medicaid. What a sham and waste of money.

Hell, if the IRS would let me deduct the cost of private health insurance from my 1040, I would pay for a private plan myself.

Just remember, as we age, whoever controls your health care and retirement plan, OWNS YOU! I prefer not to be owned by the politicians in Washington or some suits in the corporate board room. Barstards...

I don't plan on Social Security and Medicare being there when I am ready to retire, Lord willing I make it that long. They will both be bankrupt.

:cool: only ones I have known to ever move down there have been retired. They moved there for health reasons.

Let me ask you a question. If you were a business owner or corporate executive, and you had the choice of locating your company's new plant or offices in Florida or New Jersey, which would you pick factoring in the following:

- No state Income Tax

- Lack of Unions

- Lower Wages

- State and Local governments offering tax incentives

- Affordable Housing

- Great Weather

- Lots of Golf Courses

Gee, I can't figure out why thay are coming here in droves.

I guess them five new high-end corporate office buildings going in right next door to my office must be for all of them retired folks moving down here... :thumbsup!:

The point is even if your employer covers you with no our of pocket, you are still paying for it.
I think workers understand this,  that is why they get so upset when their employer doesn't honor the agreement.  The worker took a cut in pay to have the health care,  then the employer makes them pay for it without reasonable compensation to cover the cost.  Or when they retire after taking pay cuts for years to have health care when they retire the company reneges.

I don't get SS even though I have the credits, so don't bitch about that to me.  401k's on average do not cover a worker's retirement as well as a pension most workers 401ks will only last 7-8 years after retiring.  Those who do the best with 401ks are at the top in management.

- No state Income Tax

- Lack of Unions

- Lower Wages

- Affordable Housing

- Great Weather

- Lots of Golf Courses

I don't own a business, but if I did that would be attractive. But as a worker the lack of a union and low wages would not be enticing. Golf is walking around a park with a purpose, I have no use for it. I don't know where you get the great weather comment from, Everytime I watch the news Florida is on fire or getting hit by a hurricane.

The point is even if your employer covers you with no our of pocket, you are still paying for it.
I think workers understand this,  that is why they get so upset when their employer doesn't honor the agreement.  The worker took a cut in pay to have the health care,  then the employer makes them pay for it without reasonable compensation to cover the cost.  Or when they retire after taking pay cuts for years to have health care when they retire the company reneges.

I don't get SS even though I have the credits, so don't bitch about that to me.  401k's on average do not cover a worker's retirement as well as a pension most workers 401ks will only last 7-8 years after retiring.  Those who do the best with 401ks are at the top in management.

- No state Income Tax

- Lack of Unions

- Lower Wages

- Affordable Housing

- Great Weather

- Lots of Golf Courses

I don't own a business, but if I did that would be attractive. But as a worker the lack of a union and low wages would not be enticing. Golf is walking around a park with a purpose, I have no use for it. I don't know where you get the great weather comment from, Everytime I watch the news Florida is on fire or getting hit by a hurricane.

No hurricanes lately, although we did have some tornadoes last night about 15 miles form my house. What a mess! :ohmy:

John, you really don't think you should use insurance for maturnity? Pulling someones intestines out of their body doesn't leave much room for error. I would rather pay 1/2 of whatever the bill is than the whole thing especially since I've been paying those f@(kers for a decade.

oh, and a big waaaaaah! to Harley

It's getting to be that the only people who can afford a new HD are the people who work there. The union makes the workers prosperous, but not the country. The same with the big three Auto Companies. I will never buy a foreign made vehicle. Even if it’s made here in the US. :ohmy: And I will never buy a new American vehicle. Only a used one.

Hey?????? Are Urals union made?

It's getting to be that the only people who can afford a new HD are the people who work there. The union makes the workers prosperous, but not the country. The same with the big three Auto Companies. I will never buy a foreign made vehicle. Even if it’s made here in the US. :ohmy: And I will never buy a new American vehicle. Only a used one.

to me a motorcycle should be a fairly inexpensive mode of transportation as compared to a car...

in most cases that is not or no longer true.. i think its one of the many reasons the urals, dneprs, and changs are growing in number, lets not forget the royal enfields, all are so antiquaited yet they all share a common cause, decent mileage, easy to work on, fairy rugged...and not built out of unobtainium, like a harley...

they talk about our commie bikes being outta date, the harleys are overwieght,old tech poor handling overprice lumps that sound like a lawnmower wide open, and go about as fast, and fall apart as fast as one too.. :laugh:

only difference is hd s cost in the teens of thouseands of dollars...gimme a break... :rant:

...and not built out of unobtainium, like a harley...

they talk about our commie bikes being outta date, the harleys are overwieght,old tech poor handling overprice lumps that sound like a lawnmower wide open, and go about as fast, and fall apart as fast as one too.. :rant:

only difference is hd s cost in the teens of thouseands of dollars...gimme a break... :ohmy:

You know, up until now I only suspected you knew jack ###### about motorcycles. Now I'm certain.

to me a motorcycle should be a fairly inexpensive mode of transportation as compared to a car...

in most cases that is not or no longer true.. i think its one of the many reasons the urals, dneprs, and changs are growing in number, lets not forget the royal enfields, all are so antiquaited yet they all share a common cause, decent mileage, easy to work on, fairy rugged...and not built out of unobtainium, like a harley...

they talk about our commie bikes being outta date, the harleys are overwieght,old tech poor handling overprice lumps that sound like a lawnmower wide open, and go about as fast, and fall apart as fast as one too.. :laugh:

only difference is hd s cost in the teens of thouseands of dollars...gimme a break... :rant:

Hmmm, let me count the times any of my Harley's over the past 20 plus years have left me stranded... Zero, zilch... never.

Let me count how many times my Ural has in the past year.... yeah... 3 times. So much for that fall apart theory. HD makes a damn fine bike... period.

Have you looked at the prices of the Jap bikes these days? A new Goldwing will run you close to 20 grand.... BMWs are just as bad. A nicely equipped Yamaha Star will run you 11 - 13 grand. So it's suffice to say that the entire motorcycle industry is overpriced.