Iraqi Ural Retro Solo Kit Bike.

gspell68

And a couple more. I took the fork apart. It looks like a train wreck in there. Looks like it caught fire inside one leg. I was pretty disappointed, but I think I can make it good again. The front axle was practically welded into the hub. Destroyed the axle and the brake anchor plate during removal. Took out the front bearings after an hour of serious BFH application. The grease was fried in the front, but the grease was like new on the rear wheel bearings. More pictures of that in a few days.

post-492-1171119390_thumb.jpg

post-492-1171118749_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott; look for a native son over there among the locals, who is a scrounger, and I will bet that enuff pieces will turn up to build up and engine and tranny, you know how some educated people like Kermi has problems with these simple machines, the Iraqi home brew owner/mechinic has about 5% of Kermi's abilities. Have said that tounge-in-cheek :biggrin: I will bet there are a couple of dozen M-72 engines floating about Bagdad, put the word out, demand free delivery, I am sure that "sweating" a heavy chunk of Russian Iron down the street will not get you a free pass, my guess is that you will come up with far more than you bargained for, save that head, they will blast up nice. There is more fun to be had, that for sure.....Ken :blink:

It shouldn't be to hard to get it home if you really want it no need to cut it up sent home a 69 CB750 that we siezed after getting the paperwork done if you need the forms let me know at vlcoffinus.army.mil by the way where are you and do you want or do you have any soldiers that may like some care pkgs from the yellow riddionsocioty they just live to sends tuff.

I think she was called Doris, Nate... and she certainly does seem to be making contact with that dead old bike :laugh:

Nice work Scott!!!

Dub

• 9 months later...

Well, good news!

I got the project M-72 condensed down to a standard Army footlocker and a single big box for the frame. The next step was getting it past the Army trained Customs inspector. He was running late and in a hurry to get somewhere and barely gave it a passing glance. I thought at first he saw it simply as a bicycle, but he realized what it really was. No grief! I did, of course, have on-hand supporting documentation on it as a war trophy and Customs import documentation, but still I was worried I'd have to explain my case to some idiot who was thinking he was keeping America safe from terrorism that would veto 4 months of my hard work. But, I got it in the container and got it sealed by "customs".

Next stop: Kuwait and the then on the boat. As long as the container's paperwork is straight for the real Customs and there's no need to open the container, I should have my first Ural at the house at the end of February, which is a good thing because I probaby have a whole bunch of big parts cluttering up the garage and ticking off the wife by now. She'd be doubly PO'd if I didn't have something to put 'em on...

That´s great! I´m really looking forward seeing that bike put together. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup!:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey just finished reading your entry and was wondering what FOB you are on? Currently I am on Warhorse and wondered where exactly you found that beauty! Also there is a Grey sidecar that travels around here occasionally. I haven't gotten a good look at it yet, but it might make it into my footlocker on a dark night. :biggrin: Might need to talk to you about those customs forms.

Let us know how it goes! And goes, and goes, and goes....

Like you said Scott, "It will buff out"... :thumbsup!: ...Ken

I'm on Taji for another week and hopefully home for Christmas!!!

I found it in a pile of scrap metal at the end of the runway. The only thing really salvageable was the frame, fenders, suspension, forks, and handlebars. It was one of a kind. The rest were all scrapped MZ's from 1982.