Iraqi Ural Retro Solo Kit Bike.

gspell68

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow , neat ~ getting title isn't going to be a problem in the U.S. unless you tell someone it's " imported "

Remember to import it was " used moto parts " as the tarriff is lower and no one will usualy care about the VIN on the frame .

You've _GOT_ to save this old bike .

You've _GOT_ to save this old bike.

That's what I thought, too! The Navy customs guys said they don't really care if I bring it home. I told them I had paperwork prepared and everything. They said that wasn't even necessary. They said break it down and it'd look like a bunch of parts and some scrap metal to them. The one guy said it was he was going to do a little more research just in case, but work is under way to get it back.

I have about 75% of it stashed in my work van. I'm taking lots of pictures so you can expect to see progress, eventually. Just today, I carried the frame, plungers, half the final drive, misc. small parts and 20 pounds of tools more than a mile on foot. Whew! The only thing left in the junkyard is the front fork, half the final drive and wheels. I cannot separate the wheels from the drums and the front axle is super stuck. They probably tightened the heck out of it, not knowing it has left-hand threads. And I think they ran the final drive out of oil.

It's in pretty rough shape. I've snapped off about every bolt head 13mm and under (sometimes intentionally). Most of the metal cleans up pretty good so far, but I've only got about five pieces stripped of rust/paint/grime. The only place where the rust ate through the frame is on one lower rear plunger gusset in a way it doesn't really affect the integrity.

I'm not really stressing the small parts, they can be gotten almost anywhere, but I have no idea where or how to get a motor/transmission to the house by the time I get home. I'd love to do what Kermi was talking about, and put a new IMZ 750 OHV in it, but at $2,500, that ain't going to happen. I want to keep the whole project under $1,500. I don't know if anyone has a worthwhile motor sitting around. I saw overhauled CJ flatheads pretty cheap ($500-$600???) somewhere online once. And the old style, no reverse "crash" transmissions can be had "new" in cosmoline for about $300. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to let me know.

Hit up Gene from Holopaw Corvette for a Ural 650 ohv. I just talked to him Fri. He said he had several on hand cheaper that you'd think. I'm trying to figure a cheap way of getting one to DC from FL.

A good new Dnepr MT 12/ K750 flathead engine as shown on the arbalest site would look nice, I think you can still find theese knew. If that is not the case, at least a widely available cheap 300$ MT11 engine. A new superiour Dnepr transmission with reverse would fit swell. A short trip to Kiew would solve this with limited amont of $. Engine I reccon 3-400$, tranny 100-200$, dunno how much$ to bring it home.

Of course such an engine would be surely not trouble free :). Probably a good repaired 650 IMZ engine would solve the matter. But a Dnepr tranny would be nice. At least an old IMZ without reverse.

A good new Dnepr MT 12/ K750 flathead engine as shown on the arbalest site would look nice, I think you can still find theese knew. If that is not the case, at least a widely available cheap 300$ MT11 engine. A new superiour Dnepr transmission with reverse would fit swell. A short trip to Kiew would solve this with limited amont of $. Engine I reccon 3-400$, tranny 100-200$, dunno how much$ to bring it home.

Of course such an engine would be surely not trouble free :). Probably a good repaired 650 IMZ engine would solve the matter. But a Dnepr tranny would be nice. At least an old IMZ without reverse.

The correct M-72 style heads will bolt on the Dneper flathead engine if you want a more authentic look. Those are pretty available. Having a bike with a story makes the extra work worth it!

Bill

Well as promised, more photos. The frame, unlike it's pictured here, is now free of 98% of the paint and about 10% free of rust!!!

Hmmm, didn't think about a "new" IMZ 650cc engine. That would be close to hassle free! Of course I was trying to avoid cutting and welding the frame or driveshaft to wedge a trandmission into it. A Dnepr transmission would require that I'm certain.

I'm not really sure Arbalet is still in business. I thought about something from overseas, (I understand Leszek in Poland is da man!) but shipping would be 2-3 times as much as the motor itself!

post-492-1170691193_thumb.jpg

post-492-1170691089_thumb.jpg

Long plungers?!?!? :blink: I didn't know there were different sizes. I had a hellofa time gettin' 'em off the bike though. I had to beat one out with half a driveshaft as a hammer :feelssogood: while using a rod from a shock as a center punch!!! Still ain't figured out how the spring comes out...

post-492-1170774746_thumb.jpg

post-492-1170776079_thumb.jpg

And nope, it was just a head poking out. No motor underneath. I didn't even attempt to look at the head because I'm sure they are trash. Maybe if I have time when I'm done with the frame and have nothing else to do. I feel the motor is in a big pile of dirt beside the bike, but I think it'd be hopeless to try to dig it out.

Rebuild a motor? Me?!?!? You must be :beerchug: ! I think I'm already in over my head with the frame alone.

I don't understand ~ get a 1/4" rod and go poking in the dirt if you cannot find a metal detector ~ engines are dead simple in most cases , if not , just collect up thew bits and mail 'em off to Ken @ U2 Cycles or Scooter Bob ......

Flat heads don't have any moving parts so it takes a lot to ruin one....

If you have a blaster , clean it well then fill with baking soda and have a go ~ you'll be amazed at how nicely the alloy bits come out .

If you shoot that frame with a soda blaster all yer gonna end up with is a wet puddle of reddish ooze around the floor drain and a couple of lengths of tubing that look like swiss cheese I'm thinkin.....

A few parts--maybe. The wheels, certainly. But hehold this, oh ye of little faith...

post-492-1171118154_thumb.jpg

post-492-1171118008_thumb.jpg