Iraqi Ural Retro Solo Kit Bike.

gspell68

Look what I found. I was looking around in our muddy 10 acre junkyard and came across this. For the first hour I found nothing but 3 big Hondas, 15 MZ motorcycles and about 10 Super-elastic sidecars. Then as I was about to give up, I spotted the big gas tank and thought it was another Honda on it's side until I saw the toolbox. Then I thought it was a Tourist. Then I noticed there was no swing arm. Then I realized it was my dream bike: A old Retro Solo... :biggrin:

I took off the data plate, but it is totally illegible. At least I had presence of mind to do that as it was getting dark and our post was getting mortared, so I had to go report in. I can see some of the IMZ logo on the data plate. For a date it has 195 and an unintentional well placed scratch through the last digit that I think is a 3.

Most everything looks suprisingly good considering it's probably been in the open desert sor the past 30 years (it's really salty here, this used to be the floor of the sea not so long ago.) I think Bill's bike was probably in about the same shape from the look of his avatar.

I think I have everything at home to overhaul it, except the motor/tranny, gastank, and seatcovers. A couple cans of spray paint, and it'll be good as new. And no Ural is dead until you see it turned into shavings, right?!?!?!

Now I gotta figure out how to get it home and how I can ever get it registered. I think I can get everything except the frame into an oversized footlocker. However, I'm not sure I'd ever get it titled/registered.

post-492-1169715697_thumb.jpg

post-492-1169715765_thumb.jpg

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, that looks like a M-72 with that plunger fram, look at it this way, If you could get it home, even if you have to cut it in two, 30 years from now you would have ultimate bragging rights, just think of disbelief of some dude asking did you really found it in the mud in the desert?....and then have the pic's to prove it...awsome.....Ken :P

I have seen two Iraqi Urals here locally. Both sent back by the local national guardsmen. One, with side car had to have the side car cut in two.

The other is an intact frame.

I know of another solo bike elsewhere from Iraq that was sent intact to the states that is the object of ongoing trade negotiations for a dnepr.

I hope when you check into getting it home you will be pleasantly surprised.

I think it's a beautiful thing, bring it home. If you can only get the frame home, and must leave the wheels, tank and everything else, the frame is the heart of the bike. I believe you will be able to register it.

Don't listen to them Scott! I think it's beautiful! Looks like moisture got behind the knee pads a littel though! I think you will be able to do something great with what is there.

When I imported my bikes I went down to the county office and asked what to do. The lady did the classic "look over both shoulders thing" and then said " They are antiques right?" I knodded. Then she says: " just make up a bill of sale then and notorized and don't mention that you imported them". O.K. straight from the county official! Registration of antique stuff is almost never a problem! Registering something imported is much more difficult. Good luck!

Bill

I finally figured out that it's a 1959 M-72M.

I reckon there's one of two ways to get it back:

1) Get permission since it's a violation of general order #1 to own a vehicle or collect war trophies. Then get a letter of release from the command as my "bill of sale"

2) Mail everything home but the frame, smuggle some "tubing" shaped like a frame back in my repair van (semi-trailer), and have my mom "sell" it to me.

It doesn't seem to be in bad shape. In fact, of the 30 bikes I've seen, this one was in the best shape and most complete. Heck, steering bearings aren't even frozen up. I actually have a suprising amout of crap at the house to repair it.

If I knew for certain I wouldn't have a problem getting it back, I'd start restoring it out here in my spare time. It'd be more constructive than watching American Idol...

Here's an idea of some of the other things out here...

post-492-1169809915_thumb.jpg

post-492-1169809997_thumb.jpg

There are 7 motorcycles and 2 sidecars in this photo.

Can you spot 'em all? (I actually can't find one of the sidecars now.)

post-492-1169810387_thumb.jpg

This MZ Super Elastic sidecar was in the best shape of any of the 20 I saw...

post-492-1169810521_thumb.jpg

By the way that big truck behind that side car is a Ural to.... (GAZ 57)

If you get a chance there were over 50 of the grey Iraqi urals at the eastern hanger/warehouse at the bagdad Intl' airport. I do not know if they are still there

Hi Scott

I think it'd be great if you're able to salvage the bike.

As a 12 year old kid in West Berlin, Germany, I was daily at the local dump (I still like to scavenge through dumps) where I found at different times two WW2 motorcycles. One Zuendapp, olive green, solid ceased, chain, wheels, motor, everything. For me at the time I was unable to retrieve the bike :laugh: .

The second time I found a DKW one cylinder olive-green, mint condition except for flat tires. This one I managed to get off the dump only to have the security nightguard take it away from me.

So I hope you will get your bike. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :P :laugh:

Stay safe and hope to hear from you soon

Gerry

GREAT FOUND!!!

It's a nice M-72, very interesting place, strange, looks very strange, IMZ and MZ motorcycles, Ural trucks....

In your situation I will try to recover the bike completely, including the nice blackout :)

And yes, no Ural is dead until you see it turned into shavings hahahahha

Look what I found. I was looking around in our muddy 10 acre junkyard and came across this. For the first hour I found nothing but 3 big Hondas, 15 MZ motorcycles and about 10 Super-elastic sidecars. Then as I was about to give up, I spotted the big gas tank and thought it was another Honda on it's side until I saw the toolbox. Then I thought it was a Tourist. Then I noticed there was no swing arm. Then I realized it was my dream bike: A old Retro Solo... :blush2:

I took off the data plate, but it is totally illegible. At least I had presence of mind to do that as it was getting dark and our post was getting mortared, so I had to go report in. I can see some of the IMZ logo on the data plate. For a date it has 195 and an unintentional well placed scratch through the last digit that I think is a 3.

Most everything looks suprisingly good considering it's probably been in the open desert sor the past 30 years (it's really salty here, this used to be the floor of the sea not so long ago.) I think Bill's bike was probably in about the same shape from the look of his avatar.

I think I have everything at home to overhaul it, except the motor/tranny, gastank, and seatcovers. A couple cans of spray paint, and it'll be good as new. And no Ural is dead until you see it turned into shavings, right?!?!?!

Now I gotta figure out how to get it home and how I can ever get it registered. I think I can get everything except the frame into an oversized footlocker. However, I'm not sure I'd ever get it titled/registered.

post-492-1169715697_thumb.jpg

post-492-1169715765_thumb.jpg

gspell68

You could at least retrieve the joints linking the sidecar to the bike, from those MZ side-cars. They seem to be identical to those on any Russian rig. You never know when you might need them, small parts like theese are sometimes lost.

So, the MZ rigs were war bikes? What are they? 250 or 300 ccm bikes? Are they GDR made or later Turkish Kanunis? THe MZ engine is one of the best 2 strokes ever made.