Russian Vodka

james

Good lord, man, get over it! What's with you and Greg? You have some problem with people in this group, grow some balls and spill it, maybe even fix it. Any jerk with a keyboard can get on and anonomouslyly give people crap. It's put up or shut up time, pal. It's gettin old. Chris

Anonymously – how is it anonymous?

I’m with James on this one…

I doubt John has ever visited Russia nor knows too much about the people except what comes down through pop culture etc.

FWIW, I have visited Russia many times and spent a lot of time there. The Russians I have spent time with (from many walks of life) have always treated vodka much more ceremoniously than the US culture understands. Served chilled with food and juice in special glasses. Hardly the “slam it from the bottle” image promoted 'round here.

Sure, having some fun here and there with posts is fine, however commenting on things one knows little about wears thin quickly.

BTW, Russian Standart Platinum gets my vote…

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thank you..i post about something nice and a guy blasts it.then when i give him some of his own back he whines and crys..and another has to attack me..remember in a forum you will get discussions good and bad ..people DO research Urals and what do they see all good posts about them. then they go out and buy one and all the problems start..for those of you that are so shallow to attack people because of a typo error you are the low lifes ..think about it.if you don't like a post stop reading it..for those that may read this i am Russian but born in America.i do have relatives there.what do they think of Ural quality @#$%^&&**((())!!//... :rant: :laugh: :laugh: :P

Well thank you..i post about something nice and a guy blasts it.then when i give him some of his own back he whines and crys..and another has to attack me..remember in a forum you will get discussions good and bad ..people DO research Urals and what do they see all good posts about them. then they go out and buy one and all the problems start..for those of you that are so shallow to attack people because of a typo error you are the low lifes ..think about it.if you don't like a post stop reading it..for those that may read this i am Russian but born in America.i do have relatives there.what do they think of Ural quality @#$%^&&**((())!!//... :rant: :beerchug: :P :beerchug:

Did I miss something? Every time lately that I see you post, it's negative.. And for what it's worth, I'm fully aware that you get the "good and the bad" on these forums. I've been on it far longer than you have been. I also know that it becomes very easy to take pot shots when you don't have to deal with the repercussions of having a real person across the table from you. That's what I mean by "anonymous.". I've seen nothing positive from you or greg lately, just efforts to stir up animousity. If you knew me, which you don't, or took much of a look at how I post, "shallow" is not a fair description, nor is "low life". I don't sit around looking for opportunities to take pot-shots at others, and I'm respectful. Takes alot generally to ###### me off, even off line.

My apologies for the earlier tirade, if I offended anyone, but I've had enough of these guys. It has convinced me that there are always going to be a couple like this, it was Matt before, and not worth the effort. This wasn't the first feedback you've gotten of this sort, James, so don't pretend you are some sort of victim. I've been reading regularly, and hope to see some constructive conversation from you guys sometime. Until then, good luck to ya. Back to the Vodka! Chris

You're making me hungry!!!

When I was in Prague a few years back I was introduced to beer cheese - soft, crumbly cheese, butter and raw onion. Mix it all up, put some on some rough fresh bread and wash it down with a nice cold Czech beer....

Sometimes I think we pay too much attention to French, Italian and Oriental foods.... some of the best stuff can be grown in our own backyards...

Yup- simple what we used to call peasant food... My g'father's loved 1/4" slabs of onion and limberger cheese and a heavy dose of horseradish on black bread... Not my taste I prefer feta or the crumbly beer cheese also, but keep the onion and horseradish :beerchug: . I'll take a bowl of steaming buckwheat groats (Russian grits?) with a glass of tea with buckwheat honey.

Good eats, Dub.

Of all the drinks I think vodka is a more simple, closer to earth, product. It can be used with food or without, in a group of your friends or on your own, especially when you just walked in from the cold, needing to warm up real fast. One good shot and you are warm again :)

How do I enjoy vodka? Take Dark russian rye bread (not the fake collored one but real rye bread) and cut it in slices and put a little salt on it. Take nice and fatty cured bacon and slice that too. Slice some spanish onion. Take some pickles and sourkraut - not the store kind but the home made - the kind that still got taste and not all salt. Drink a shot, brake a piece of black bread and smell it - inhale the goodness of the earth where it was born, then take a bite and while enjoying it take a slice of bacon put a bit of onion on the top and send that on its marry way. Chase it with a bite on a nice sour pickle, and have some of that sourkraut. Repeat the process and don't forget to talk to your friends in the process. A good company is the most important ingredient.

Want to have memorable images on your wall through out the year? Click here. I got one and its great - beautiful shots, no pun intendent :)

http://www.kniga.com/books/product.asp?dep...0&sku=C5233

OMG!! That sounds absolutely fabulous! What are some good brands of vodka that are easy to acquire here in the States, without a trip to Russia? Sources ? I have a feeling from readin these posts that good Vodka is a totally different animal from your average "Absolut" seen everywhere here.

You're making me hungry!!!

And thirsty....

:beerchug:

When I was in Prague a few years back I was introduced to beer cheese - soft, crumbly cheese, butter and raw onion. Mix it all up, put some on some rough fresh bread and wash it down with a nice cold Czech beer....

Sometimes I think we pay too much attention to French, Italian and Oriental foods.... some of the best stuff can be grown in our own backyards...

Dub

Amen to that, Dub. Beer cheese, huh? A friend of mine makes it but with some hot ingredients in the mix. Gets a good sweat going! I suspect that his version is a bit different from what you are talking about. What kind of cheese is in your version? Sounds like something I want to try to make! My family has a tradition of doing simple meals around the holidays, so we can spend the time with each other instead of someone (me!) sweating it out in the kitchen all day making the "traditional" big Christmas dinner. The beer cheese sounds like it would be a prefect addition (along with some good Vodka!) Chris

How do I enjoy vodka? Take Dark russian rye bread (not the fake collored one but real rye bread) and cut it in slices and put a little salt on it. Take nice and fatty cured bacon and slice that too. Slice some spanish onion. Take some pickles and sourkraut - not the store kind but the home made - the kind that still got taste and not all salt. Drink a shot, brake a piece of black bread and smell it - inhale the goodness of the earth where it was born, then take a bite and while enjoying it take a slice of bacon put a bit of onion on the top and send that on its marry way. Chase it with a bite on a nice sour pickle, and have some of that sourkraut. Repeat the process and don't forget to talk to your friends in the process. A good company is the most important ingredient.

Want to have memorable images on your wall through out the year? Click here. I got one and its great - beautiful shots, no pun intendent :)

Sounds Great!

Here is one of my favorites! (Notice it is now 3/4 empty!) My shipping container was not full of bikes alone! I am glad customs did not check the ol' container to close!

Bill

post-104-1166590471_thumb.jpg

Well thank you..i post about something nice and a guy blasts it.then when i give him some of his own back he whines and crys..and another has to attack me..remember in a forum you will get discussions good and bad ..people DO research Urals and what do they see all good posts about them. then they go out and buy one and all the problems start..for those of you that are so shallow to attack people because of a typo error you are the low lifes ..think about it.if you don't like a post stop reading it..for those that may read this i am Russian but born in America.i do have relatives there.what do they think of Ural quality @#$%^&&**((())!!//... :rant: :beerchug: :P :rant:

Did I miss something? Every time lately that I see you post, it's negative.. And for what it's worth, I'm fully aware that you get the "good and the bad" on these forums. I've been on it far longer than you have been. I also know that it becomes very easy to take pot shots when you don't have to deal with the repercussions of having a real person across the table from you. That's what I mean by "anonymous.". I've seen nothing positive from you or greg lately, just efforts to stir up animousity. If you knew me, which you don't, or took much of a look at how I post, "shallow" is not a fair description, nor is "low life". I don't sit around looking for opportunities to take pot-shots at others, and I'm respectful. Takes alot generally to ###### me off, even off line.

My apologies for the earlier tirade, if I offended anyone, but I've had enough of these guys. It has convinced me that there are always going to be a couple like this, it was Matt before, and not worth the effort. This wasn't the first feedback you've gotten of this sort, James, so don't pretend you are some sort of victim. I've been reading regularly, and hope to see some constructive conversation from you guys sometime. Until then, good luck to ya. Back to the Vodka! Chris

ANONYMOUS >when i post my name james and you post csbdr ! you don't have to criticize every post of someone simply because you disagree with their opinion.as stated earlier if you don't like a person don't read that persons post.as far as pretending to be a victim don't worry or concern yourself with that i have thick skin..i like to dish back what others give out. :rant: :beerchug: :beerchug: :flameon:

Ahhh... I don't know the name of the cheese - but it is crumbly cheese. You mix it and the butter and the onion together and add a drop of beer to the mix (prefereably dark beer) and it'll get a nice spreadable consistency.

YUM!!!

Dub

I can appreciate good whisky, good rum and good gin, but I cannot taste the difference between premium vodka and the cheap stuff, so now I just buy the cheap stuff! :beerchug:

Heck, it's just ethyl alcohol dilluted with water, how can there be a difference in taste when there is nothing in it to taste?

Dave

Ahhh... I don't know the name of the cheese - but it is crumbly cheese. You mix it and the butter and the onion together and add a drop of beer to the mix (prefereably dark beer) and it'll get a nice spreadable consistency.

YUM!!!

Dub

I'm definately going to give making that a try! Maybe I'll start with some Feta and see how that turns out. I don't know if that's quite the right flavor, though. What do you think? I'm going to have to try to think of some other crumbly cheeses. We have a shop here with a terrific cheese counter. I can't wait! CHRIS

Well thank you..i post about something nice and a guy blasts it.then when i give him some of his own back he whines and crys..and another has to attack me..remember in a forum you will get discussions good and bad ..people DO research Urals and what do they see all good posts about them. then they go out and buy one and all the problems start..for those of you that are so shallow to attack people because of a typo error you are the low lifes ..think about it.if you don't like a post stop reading it..for those that may read this i am Russian but born in America.i do have relatives there.what do they think of Ural quality @#$%^&&**((())!!//... :beerchug: :beerchug: :P :rant:

ANONYMOUS >when i post my name james and you post csbdr !

Ummm...right. Check the end of all my posts. Chris is my NAME. I'm from SARATOGA SPRINGS. Nuff' said. The end. CHRIS

I'd a thought the FETA would be a bit too salty and gelatinous (unless it's the real McCoy) - I'd go for more of a mature Cheddar/Cheshire/Red Leicester type cheese...

But that's just me :)

Anyway... what's it matter... good cheese, oinions, butter and beer - you can't go wrong, right?

And don't forget the dark lager or ale to mix in - but just a wee splash ;)

And the freshly basked crusty bread :beerchug:

Dub

Ah, the cheese spread. We have something similar sold here in Russian stores. It's some soft cheese, mixed with ... garlic, and maybe a little of mayo but don't quote me on that. Anyway, now that I see some of your taste interests, I see that you would greatly benefit from having a Russian store near you.

As far as some of the good brands of vodka - well, it all depends on what you like. If you like the rough taste then it is Absolute, Gordon, Stoli, and most of the Ukrainian vodkas like Nemiroff. I like very smooth, light taste of vodka and I usually stay with Gray Goose or Belvedere. It is super smooth and goes down easy, leaving almost no aftertaste. Most people don't drink vodka for the taste but rather for the immediate effect it causes as it enters your body, the process in itself is what makes it enjoyable. For the life of me, I could never understand how anyone would mix vodka with soda and ice and sip that stuff.. I don’t think any of my fellow Russians do either. Makes me kind of sick even thinking about it. For Russians (and most eastern Europeans and Scandinavians) drinking vodka means – shot glass of various sizes (sometimes it can be of a large tea cup size) and some good “zakuska” food to chase the drinks with. Now it can be as simple as a pickle, or as fancy (to non Russians) as a piece of bread with butter and red or black caviar. Mmmmm… I can go for it just about now 

I'd a thought the FETA would be a bit too salty and gelatinous (unless it's the real McCoy) - I'd go for more of a mature Cheddar/Cheshire/Red Leicester type cheese...

But that's just me :)

Anyway... what's it matter... good cheese, oinions, butter and beer - you can't go wrong, right?

And don't forget the dark lager or ale to mix in - but just a wee splash ;)

And the freshly basked crusty bread :wub:

Dub

Ahh, that was my thought about the Feta as well. I think I can get the otheres easily around here, tho. I'm gonna make some up this week! Chris

Ah, the cheese spread. We have something similar sold here in Russian stores. It's some soft cheese, mixed with ... garlic, and maybe a little of mayo but don't quote me on that. Anyway, now that I see some of your taste interests, I see that you would greatly benefit from having a Russian store near you.

As far as some of the good brands of vodka - well, it all depends on what you like. If you like the rough taste then it is Absolute, Gordon, Stoli, and most of the Ukrainian vodkas like Nemiroff. I like very smooth, light taste of vodka and I usually stay with Gray Goose or Belvedere. It is super smooth and goes down easy, leaving almost no aftertaste. Most people don't drink vodka for the taste but rather for the immediate effect it causes as it enters your body, the process in itself is what makes it enjoyable. For the life of me, I could never understand how anyone would mix vodka with soda and ice and sip that stuff.. I don't think any of my fellow Russians do either. Makes me kind of sick even thinking about it. For Russians (and most eastern Europeans and Scandinavians) drinking vodka means – shot glass of various sizes (sometimes it can be of a large tea cup size) and some good "zakuska" food to chase the drinks with. Now it can be as simple as a pickle, or as fancy (to non Russians) as a piece of bread with butter and red or black caviar. Mmmmm… I can go for it just about now 

Thanks for the recommendations! I will usually go for "sippin liquor" I'll spend the extra $ to get more enjoyable beverages, like single malts, blue agave tequila (no Jose for me. Nasty stuff!) etc.

BTW, my apologies to all (including James) for my rants above this. I guess I look for more civility overall than what sometimes appears, especially from newbies who are just starting to post. If it helps understand me better, I'm a shrink, part Irish, and an ex-redhead (now grey/blond). This makes me especially well qualified to misinterpret things :huh2: , get drunk <_< , and shoot my mouth off :rant: !! I'll behave myself. Chris