Trailers? Ha! We don' need no stinkeen trailers!

PeteT

Greetings, all!

For a long time I've wanted a means of towing my ural without resorting to using the trailer- and I think I might have succeded. The towbar runs beneith the longitudinal member of the sidecar subframe, and attaches at the fore and aft ends, lifting the front of the bike at the front end of the longitudinal. The forward end has a hitch coupler to attach to the car's hitch ball. When in use, the front wheel is carried about 8 inches off the ground and the rig rides on it's rear wheels. The towbar is hinged in the middle so that it can be folded to make it short enough to be carried in the car's trunk or in the hack. Total weight of the towbar is about 30 pounds, and takes about five minutes to install or remove. Took it for a test run around the block today, and it follows beautifully. It's not really intended for cross-country towing... but I think it will be handy when I need to drop the car off somewhere and don't want to rely on public transportation to get home. Might also be good for retreiving a dead rig if the need should ever arise.

I have all the pictures ready to post, but I can't seem to get the new system to work- everything just disappears when I try to post it. I'll keep trying...... probably be Monday before I get the chance to play with it again.

Pete,

Iffen ya had a couple wheels with stripped splines, you'd really be set :).

Nick

Yup.

Sounds interesting, looking forward to the pics. (I am a visual sort of guy)

I'm looking forward to posting them- If I can figure this new setup out!

Have you tried one of the photo hosting sites.. I use photobucket, and haven't tried to use it with this new thing, but it should work.

A lot of car dealers in the Milwaukee area had three wheel Harley-Davidson's in the fifties.

They would pick up your car and tow the Harley behind the car.

If you're towing of rearwheel drive manual transmission on a car dolly, you should disconnect the drive shaft. Or put the rear wheels on the dolly.

The problem is not enough lubrication in the transmission bearings.

I'm not sure what would happen to a Ural transmission.

I had to take my 1948 Lincoln to central Wisconsin. And was told to put the rearwheel's on the dolly because of the transmission bearings not getting enough oil. I ended up using a car trailer. Lincoln's have inclosed drive shafts.

Steve

A lot of car dealers in the Milwaukee area had three wheel Harley-Davidson's in the fifties.

They would pick up your car and tow the Harley behind the car.

If you're towing of rearwheel drive manual transmission on a car dolly, you should disconnect the drive shaft. Or put the rear wheels on the dolly.

The problem is not enough lubrication in the transmission bearings.

I'm not sure what would happen to a Ural transmission.

I had to take my 1948 Lincoln to central Wisconsin. And was told to put the rearwheel's on the dolly because of the transmission bearings not getting enough oil. I ended up using a car trailer. Lincoln's have inclosed drive shafts.

Steve

Yep- you have to be careful when towing something with the drive train turning. A friend of mine a few years ago got a great deal on a VW bug that had been owned by an old retired couple who towed it behind their large motorhome. Seems it got left in reverse once. At 60 MPH it should have been turning around 11,000 RPM......BACKWARD... with the oil pump doing it's best to suck the oil out of the galleys and put it back into the pan. Needless to say, a new engine was needed :huh2: .

You can now add up to 6 pics per post, but there is an additional step. After browsing your hard drive and uploading the pics, another box will appear prompting you to remove or add file to the post. Pick add and they will appear as a marker, and then as the real deal when you actually post to the Forum. Hope this helps.

You can now add up to 6 pics per post, but there is an additional step. After browsing your hard drive and uploading the pics, another box will appear prompting you to remove or add file to the post. Pick add and they will appear as a marker, and then as the real deal when you actually post to the Forum. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Glen- I'll give this a shot!

OK....I think this is going to work this time!!! :huh2: :laugh: :flameon: :thumbsup!: :thumbsup!: :laugh:

Thanks, Glen!

This thing attaches to the sidecar subframe in the front and rear, and the arm that extends to the right side attaches to the frame at the outboard side of the tub to keep the bar from twisting due to the weight of the rig being so far above the towbar. Seems to work quite well so far. The only upgrade I have in mind for it is to add a toungue jack- I darn near blew my back out lifting the thing onto the trailer hitch to take the picture! On the Maiden Voyage around the block it handled beautifully- but I think some ballast in the hack and prudence in the right handers will go a long way towards Ural Towing Bliss.

post-1164-1165260430_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1165260472_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1165260506_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1165260533_thumb.jpg

post-1164-1165260554_thumb.jpg

That is really great, a fantastic idea. I would be very interested in having that myself, but as the welding class that I paid for did not teach welding, I still can't weld. Who wants to run one of those frames up for me, for suitable remuneration?

One of these days I will find someone, or someplace that will teach a guy how to weld.

So eh... the consensus was that this is:

a) Not safe

b) likely to destroy your final drive

Or did I miss something?

I'd be very interested to see if your Gear-Up could be towed 50 miles or more without damage to the bike.

I have no idea if it is bad for it or not... just interested to hear what your experience with this is...

Please report back....

Dub