This snowbird may spread his wings

Ragman

The intention is to set off on the mighty snowbird migration route, tomorrow. That is the intention. However, the best laid plans of mice, and men ........

I have rebuilt the insides of my trailer, now, instead of 20ft of living area, 8 ft of which is the bed shelf, with closet up front, we have 31 feet of living space, with the addition of a new living room. The pellet stove now actually heats up the place, in 23° F weather, because we now have a wooden floor, not the aluminum one underneath. So, as long as I don't think of something else to fix, fit, or break in the meantime, we will head out, in the morrow, to places where the day time high is currently 85°F, with overnight lows of 55°. Much better than the daytime 35° we got today, or the nightime 23° we got last night, with tonight promising worse.

I have not finished the project yet, but have got the walls up, ready for finishing, and the floor just needs the skirting boards made and fitted. That can happen in the sunny places, west of Phoenix, over the next 6 months. I will be trying to get some sort of intenet fixed up when there, so will still get my Russian Iron fix.

I will think of all you lucky guys riding in the snow, whilst I am riding in the sand.

(three years ago, I wintered in Bismark, North Dakota - that was eye opening.)

nope, Arizona, hopefully. Stopped for the night in Louisville, Kentucky, at the KOA. Had a very near miss, leaving Indiana - a semi stopped dead in the road, on the freeway, and I was heading right for the tailgate. I locked the trailer tires, and shuddered to a halt, leaving 20 feet of my tires on the roadway. NOTHING in my newly remodeled trailer broke off, busted or moved. The Ural didn't move either. The only thing that did move anywhere, was the full sack of wood pellets, for the stove - it moved three feet, over to the washing machine.

I intend to come down to Florida in about 6 months..

we are taking it nice and easy - another 300 miles today, and we are just west of Memphis, TN. We spent 4 almost 4 months in Indiana, and got zero UDF. This two days of the trip has gotten me over one hour of UDF, without even riding it. Folk peek into the trailer, when I open up to check the rear straps, and then chaos ensues for 30 minutes, as folk crawl round the garage and have a good look. The drive shaft to the sidecar really gets them going. That factor makes the expense of converting to two wheel drive well worth it.

We expect to be somewhere in Texas tomorrow night, and hopefully that RV park will have wifi also.

I suppose we will be in Texas a couple of days - that is one heck of a big state.

Went to Wild Oats, in Memphis, just to get the organic produce, and spent $100 there - that is one expensive store.

Stopping on Az. or heading further West ?

If you make it to Sunny Ca. , the drinks are on me .

Enjoy your vacation ! .

free Wi-Fi is simple ~ just stop for coffee next door to most any motel , the chains all have free Wi-Fi , no password required ...

We are findeing less places this trip, that have free wifi. The last couple of nights we couldn't find any wifi anywhere. But today, we are just about to leave Lordsburg, NM - a ghost town in the making, with more derelict and abandoned buildings than any town I have seen - whole streets are empty.

We should make it to our winter lot today, or tomorrow - no hurry.

Mr Ural, could you PM me with a contact number.

We stayed in a Walmart parking lot two nights ago, and a mom and pop RV park three nights ago. The Walmart was way better than the mom and pop place. Last night, we were, and still are in a KOA with free wifi, only in the mornings. They turn it off at 14:00 for some reason.

Weather yesterday, through Texas, and most of New Mexico was high 70s... just what this guy needed. Dry, clear heat.

Nate, We will be in California in the new year - we go round buying food...

O.K. , bring your missus and I'll take you out for dinner .

I might even let you peek in my junkyard..... :blush:

Drive safely ! lots of wierdos & drunks out there .

On my recent road trip to New Mexico , several of the motels I stayed in had crappy Wi-Fi so I'd log onto the good Wi-Fi from the Holiday Inn across the street . I imagine you could do this pretty much anywhere , when I was a geurilla CB'er , I had , how to say ' alternate power source taps ' so that anywhere I went that had any sort of electrical power , I had a tap so I could run my Linear amp .

- point being , I'm sure you can power up your lap top (mine SUX on battery) near a motel and ride thier coattails so to speak...

I haven't done it yet, but I remember reading plans on how to make a directional WiFi antenna out of a Pringles can. A search on Google should uncover something.

The article I read was in an RV magazine. With our tiny camper, we always end up at the back of the park by the tents, well outside the WiFi range. We have to hike up to the office to get a signal. >:(

-JD

I haven't done it yet, but I remember reading plans on how to make a directional WiFi antenna out of a Pringles can. A search on Google should uncover something.

First on a quickie yahooo search:

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/has.html

or

Cantenna

Looks interesting and easy to make. I'll have to start collecting parts for my son's laptop.

thanks for the idea.

I have pretty well solved the internet problem. I now have a Kyocera KPC 650 wireless card, and have a booster antenna arriving on Friday, that will allow for broadband internet in all cities, and most towns, with it working here, 60 miles west of Phoenix. Anyone wanting a phone, and internet, should look into Verizon. It is only $60 a month, unlimited data.. cant be bad.

Nate, we will be in CA from about the second week of January, for about 3 weeks, spending some time annoying Mr Cob in death valley, and stocking up on Citrus fruit.

Never found free wifi at McDonalds, but have used a couple of Burger King wifi spots. I have found some in strange places - an advertised free spot, well off the beaten track, in western Texas, somewhere in Montana, miles from anywhere, boasted free wifi. Both places were good signals.

Most towns have a small community college .Most community colleges have night classes and most community colleges have wireless. I usually stop and get a coffee drive into the parking lot and I'm set for an hour or two.

CATFISH