people without a clue...

charlie23

A couple of months back we had several guests in town, and I did up a big crawfish boil. After we ate the guys and I went out to the bars, and I asked the wife to save the boullion for later use in some gumbo or something. The idea, of course, being that they'd let the pot cool then pour it in a big freezer bag and put it in the freezer.

Got back from the bar, pot was gone, figured that's what she did.

So today I'm on my way over to the garage and she tells me I have to do something with this pot. What pot? The pot on the balcony. Ok, sure.

You guys DO NOT want to know what a thickened crawfish boullion smells like after it's been left outdoors for two months.

"But you told me you wanted to keep it..." :blink:

I'm going to go soak my sinuses in some used engine oil for a couple of hours.

AS a resident of South Louisiana, for 20 odd years.......I can hear the groans of all the departed cajons of the last couple of centuries as they turn over in their graves at the thought.......scheech...bet the neighbors thought is was time to wash yer socks :lol: :blink: .....................

How ever you are not alone....I used to hunt ducks in so La, and a cajon hunting buddy who just got married and I did quite well one morning hunting, as I drove the boat several miles to the ramp, he carefully plucked the ducks he had gotten. as he had to be to work at ten am, I dropped him off at his house, and as I was leaving I see him talking to his bride, and her head bobbing up and down...a couple of days later we met at the little bar where the guys met to have a beer, and he related how he had asked his wife to roast them ducks for a late lunch at 2:00 pm. When He got home, his wife was on the back step crying that if he wanted duck, he was going to have to cook them himself, he went into the kitchen where he was bowled over by the stench, opening the door of the oven, there was two mallards, bulging like balloons, as unnamed items oozed from the aft ends......They still had all the innards in there, cooking merrily away....Ken :blink:

Lucky for me I married a Lutheran woman. They won't eat anything that isn't already packaged, portioned, frozen, precooked or that won't fit in a casserole dish.

It does make for some boring meals, but they're always "safe".

After 26 years together I am SO sick of Jello! :lol:

You think I'm kidding? There are entire web sites dedicated to humor on this topic!

They won't eat anything that isn't already packaged, portioned, frozen, precooked or that won't fit in a casserole dish.

hehe...can't help but remember "Lake Wobegon Days" by Garrison Keilor. Used to be my favorite radio show back in the day...

As I type this I am looking over both shoulders and hoping my wife doesn't read this. :unsure: It appears that I have married a woman of today; depending on atmospheric conditions she may be able to boil water. It seems that anything that has traditional been called "women's work" is not on her talent list. That being said she is proficient in other natural tasks. My friends say I am whipped, and I always reply yes. I have an Ural and they can not get one, there wives cook and mine don’t, and my wife understands what a "treat" is and theirs do not. Just priorities I guess. B)

Lindy

They won't eat anything that isn't already packaged, portioned, frozen, precooked or that won't fit in a casserole dish.

hehe...can't help but remember "Lake Wobegon Days" by Garrison Keilor. Used to be my favorite radio show back in the day...

Charlie, you can still hear tales from Lake Woebegone at:

Lake Woebegone Online or http://prairiehome.publicradio.org/ check the archives for old shows and audio clips. I think you can also get it online (if you have a high speed connection) from some of the online NPR sites with streaming audio feeds.

You might also enjoy Chuck Schaden on WDBC out of the Chicago area- Those were the Days Saturday at 1pm Chicago time. They have a 56k feed for dialup.

As to wive's cooking- Rich's wife could be related to mine, except that mine's Anglican and has been known to burn Jello. Her best cooking consists of opeing cans or hard-boiling eggs. >:blink: Thus the reason I do all the "real" cooking around here.

Hey, thanks for that vradin...I do have very high speed broadband but since microsux started charging for all the decent radio stations I listened to I don't use internet radio much. Will check them out, could use a bit of nostalgia.

Marina's an ok cook...she has a couple of dishes she does well but it's strictly by the recipe and BG cooking is notoriously bland, especially for someone who grew up on BBQ, Tex-Mex and Cajun. Her mother freaked when she saw my spice drawer, and although Radka still does most of the basic "homey" cooking (there's 5 of us living together these days) I do 3 or 4 dinners a week and they love the hot stuff now.

You guys DO NOT want to know what a thickened crawfish boullion smells like after it's been left outdoors for two months.

"But you told me you wanted to keep it..."  :blink:

I'm going to go soak my sinuses in some used engine oil for a couple of hours.

My wife now thinks I'm an idiot sitting here laughing like a manaic after reading that. :lol:

I think I might kinda know what it smells like. A few years ago I left a "doggy bag" full of shrimp in the saddlebag of my Harley for a week in the summer in the garage. Never really thought about it until my wife asked "Do you notice a funny smell in the garage?" And then I remebered it.

I opened that saddle bag and Whoa Brother! :o Took a week for that to air out. I scrubbed that fibergalss saddlebag 5 times before the stench was gone.

Yeah, umm... I am at work and i guess it is "wife safe" so I can admit - Anna is not a great cook either, although, she is doing better then when we first met.

Some of the stuff I had to endure in the name of Love was tough to swallow - literally :D We still laugh about it. I guess it's a Russian thing to do to feed someone you really like and woo him in by the way of the stomach, but the day i seen large pork chops floating in the soup pot I knew that this is where I draw the line. As to what was she doing with the pork chops... "I am making soup, silly!", she answered with her angelic smile... I stayed for dinner thinking that what will come after dinner will be well worth this gastronomical torture... Yeah, right, you try to hold down a Pork chops soup with pasta, onions, carrots, potatoes in it.

So I decided to stop taking chances on my health and married the girl - however exciting the dating was, i don't think I could survive much of that wooing :surprise:

Some of the stuff I had to endure in the name of Love was tough to swallow - literally

:lol:

I'm with ya bro. But in the long run, cooking is a small price to pay on this end...especially during the loooong winters ;)

I work at a bar and we have a crawfish boil every year. Last year we cooked i think 500# of bugs. Customer appreciation day.

Now a bar dumpster usually smells pretty awful with the old beer, fruit, cigarettes, eggs etc.

But add 1/4 ton of exoskelletons and steep for 3 days in the Texas summer sun...

I feel ya partner!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

My Bride after reading some of the post said to me, I can cook anything that I can read the label on.................. :atombomb: ...Ken

Yeah, umm... I am at work and i guess it is "wife safe" so I can admit - Anna is not a great cook either, although, she is doing better then when we first met.

Some of the stuff I had to endure in the name of Love was tough to swallow - literally :D We still laugh about it. I guess it's a Russian thing to do to feed someone you really like and woo him in by the way of the stomach, but the day i seen large pork chops floating in the soup pot I knew that this is where I draw the line. As to what was she doing with the pork chops... "I am making soup, silly!", she answered with her angelic smile... I stayed for dinner thinking that what will come after dinner will be well worth this gastronomical torture... Yeah, right, you try to hold down a Pork chops soup with pasta, onions, carrots, potatoes in it.

So I decided to stop taking chances on my health and married the girl - however exciting the dating was, i don't think I could survive much of that wooing :surprise:

When my wife and I were dating, she invited me over for dinner and finally years later admitted she had gotten her next door neighbor to cook! Of course I knew that already because Anna can burn water. At least she knows she's a horrible cook and doesn't try to get me to eat things! - Chris