Breakfast

Ragman

What are grits...

Sauerkraut and dogs, with rye buns, is delicious....

Mustard is only good to make a poisoned person vomit.. :lol:

Biscuits and gravy... that sounds disgusting, never had it, should probably try..

Have you ever had white sauce? Many times it's the base for cheese sauces, used in macaroni and cheese, or as the base for creamed chipped beef. Milk gravy is just white sauce using animal fat instead of butter, and you let the flour brown a bit before you add the milk. You can use pretty much any kind of animal fat, but I think most folks prefer sausage or bacon. It's good with light bread, biscuits, or good ripe REAL tomatoes.

And here are two definitions of grits, from dictionary.com. I had to look it up - it is a bit hard to define, despite having eaten them. They are properly eaten with butter, salt, and pepper. You NEED those seasonings - grits are very bland.

grits ( P ) Pronunciation Key (grts)

pl.n. (used with a sing. or pl. verb)

A ground, usually white meal of dried and hulled corn kernels that is boiled and served as a breakfast food or side dish.

Coarsely ground grain, especially corn.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Alteration of Middle English grutta, coarse meal, from Old English grytta, pl. of grytt.]

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

grits

n : coarsely ground hulled corn boiled as a breakfast dish in the southern United States [syn: hominy grits]

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why on earth would anyone want to eat that.... :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: Talk about bland.. Thank you for the definitions, makes me happy to know what it is I haven't had..

Regional variations in food are interesting.

Check yer map. Falfurrias is just south of Corpus. A proper breakfast is choriso con papas y huevos on a flour tortilla. Add salsa and yer on yer way! :beer!:

(to the john for a little light reading)

GRITS I was in the Army I stood in the chow line I reached for a bowel of Cream of wheat B)

I took milk and sugar was at the table a Texan sat down next to me said MAN what you doin to Dham Grits :o

a friend sitting at the same table said "Hes from California they do that" ;)

I took a bite best over cooked Cream of Wheat I ever had :surprise:

Grits are made from a corn variety that is called eight row corn, wide flat kernals. that are then place in a solution of lye. this will eat the hull off the kernal, then they are washed, dryed and stored, and then ground. while this was fairly common over fifty years ago to grind then in a cooffe type grinder, today a blender works fine, normally served with salt, with a couple fried eggs still makes a hum-dinger breakfast .... cream of wheat is made much in the same way...no you don't kiss grits!...............Ken

Why on earth would anyone want to eat that.... :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: Talk about bland.. Thank you for the definitions, makes me happy to know what it is I haven't had..

Regional variations in food are interesting.

Economy, mostly. Cheap and filling, and gravy is not as bland as it sounds if done right.

Biscuits & gravy with a side of grits is an Army favorite!

I like my biscuits & gravy with tabasco sauce....good way to start the day!

As for truck stops & Cracker Barrel...we really don't have either of them here in NJ.... :cry:

However, we have the best diners in the world...and no, I don't mean Denny's or Perkins.

I find that most folks who haven't been to Jersey just don't have any idea what I'm talking about when I say diner. I guess you just have to experience it for yourself...

Any other NJ-types (or former) care to back me up on this?

There are Coney Islands in the suburban Detroit area (I don't know if they are all over Michigan or not) which I am told are Greek diners but with a larger menu. No grits for breakfast, and I still haven't found one that has hash browns as good as Waffle Ho. Everything else I've had is pretty good, though.