If you had a time machine

Mac

I'll get to working on the time machine as soon as I've figured out why my perpetual motion machine is speeding up!

Speaking of speeding up...

What was the old British Sci-Fi film that involved Time Travelers going through a "window" in the Lab, finding another world of course, then fighting a "one eye = myopic" creature that had no depth of field vision, so the human won, and then returning back to the Lab -- but then they see themselves before the initial trip in slow motion..

Eventually the whole travel in time, then back, see themselves slower, go through time again, then faster, and faster thing causes the universe to explode.

I say British -- would that be Hammar Films ?? or maybe it wasn't British...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Randy;

If you go back in time to win the lottery, why not just call yourself? Then you'd avoid potential issues with the winnings.

The main flaw with time travel is - where are all the time travellers? They can't all be skilled at hiding themselves.

Wanna go back in time... ride a Ural.

As to the actual question, well, I would go back to 1945, with all the World Series winners memorized, but stupid money on the winners of those series, then buy up all the swamp land in Central Florida.... just in time for Walt Disney to come a calling. B)

What was the old British Sci-Fi film that involved Time Travelers going through a "window" in the Lab, finding another world of course, then fighting a "one eye = myopic" creature that had no depth of field vision, so the human won, and then returning back to the Lab -- but then they see themselves before the initial trip in slow motion..

Eventually the whole travel in time, then back, see themselves slower, go through time again, then faster, and faster thing causes the universe to explode.

I say British -- would that be Hammar Films ?? or maybe it wasn't British...

I think it was an American film called "The Time Travelers" which was made in 1964.

IMDB info:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058659/

Picture of the DVD case:

http://www.scifistation.com/images/mars/time_travelers.gif

Dwight

Randy;

If you go back in time to win the lottery, why not just call yourself? Then you'd avoid potential issues with the winnings.

The main flaw with time travel is - where are all the time travellers? They can't all be skilled at hiding themselves.

According to current concepts of quantum mechanics, time travel is not ruled out.

You can time travel to the future easily by taking a relativistic space trip....

travel at 99% the velocity of light to a nearby star and return.......

while your trip time will be slightly over the number of lightyears traveled, the elapsed time on earth will be mind-boggling.

Even trips to the past aren't ruled out but you could probably not return to the same present you left. You would most likely return to an alternate time line spawned by any changes your trip to the past inadvertantly caused.

If that's the case, all those time travellers are stuck in their own personal alternity. :o

But........

The biggest problem with Time travel is that it also involves SPACE travel.

Go back exactly one year in time, with your current universal coordinates and the earth wouldn't be there, since the earth is hurdling through the solar system, which is hurdling through Milky Way, which is hurdling though the Local Group, which is.....well, you get it! How do you navigate SpaceTime? Lots of relative motion going on here. Miss your mark by 50 miles and you might materialize in orbit!

To paraphrase Einstein, everything is relative!

Now it seems M-theory might allow for a special case of non-relativistic travel.....

the 11th dimension, a special place less than a fraction of a millimeter from every point in the physical universe. Just slide through the 11th dimension to any place.....instantly.

Of course you still have that SpaceTime navigation thing to deal with! >:(

ed

Randy;

According to current concepts of quantum mechanics, time travel is not ruled out.

You can time travel to the future easily by taking a relativistic space trip....

while your trip time will be slightly over the number of lightyears traveled, the elapsed time on earth will be mind-boggling.

Even trips to the past aren't ruled out but you could probably not return to the same present you left. You would most likely return to an alternate time line spawned by any changes your trip to the past inadvertantly caused.

If that's the case, all those time travellers are stuck in their own personal alternity. :o

But........

Go back exactly one year in time, with your current universal coordinates and the earth wouldn't be there, since the earth is hurdling through the solar system, which is hurdling through Milky Way, which is hurdling though the Local Group, which is.....well, you get it! How do you navigate SpaceTime? Lots of relative motion going on here. Miss your mark by 50 miles and you might materialize in orbit!

Now it seems M-theory might allow for a special case of non-relativistic travel.....

the 11th dimension, a special place less than a fraction of a millimeter from every point in the physical universe. Just slide through the 11th dimension to any place.....instantly.

ed

Even worse, you still need 1.21 Jigowatts of electricity to power the flux capaictor in the DeLorean. Great Scott! 1.21 Jigowatts! :surprise:

I think I would go back to the turn of the century and get a snapshot of the Leader of the Temperance movement drinking some good KY whiskey in a speak easy. That would be one for the record books.

Ryan

I think this 11th dimensional deal is why your keys aren't where you put them. You've simply slid into an alternate reality where they are somewhere else... :D

I must live there permanently :unsure:

I honestly think I have a black hole under my car seat. I drop something in the crack on either side of my seat and it is instantly teleported somewhere else in the vehicle. Drives me bonkers. I'm not talking just coins, but CD's, wallet, cell phone, etc.

Randy;

But........

ed

Ed, you are a very informed individual. I've come to the conclusion that you must read allot while you ride. :lol:

I honestly think I have a black hole under my car seat. I drop something in the crack on either side of my seat and it is instantly teleported somewhere else in the vehicle. Drives me bonkers. I'm not talking just coins, but CD's, wallet, cell phone, etc.

Hey, I found some CD'd, wallet, and a cell-phone right on the side of the road while traveling through...........I think it was.................. Killeen, Texas.

Not

Just kidding Scott

I've come to the conclusion that you must read allot while you ride. :lol:

My kids (all 864 of them!) keep me on my toes. :)

There is hope for the future.....I see it every day.

ed