2011 Relays and wiring

Motokofe

Hello all-

im wiring up a 2011 Ural and I’m stumped. The (used) harness has a place for two relays. But it sure seems that one of those is for the turn signal relay (3 wire colors match the manual, and there isn’t a location for the turn signal relay elsewhere). From the Ural wiring diagram for 2011, it shows two relays—but is one on the starter itself? Also, the wiring diagram seems to show the relay running a ground wire from one of its three pins. Does this sound correct?

I will take a general Stab.

I see No Reason for a relay in the Blinker signal circuit.. most simply supply the `12v to the Signals themselves thru the Signal stat.. (flasher unit)

Most starter Circuits utilize a relay to fire the Starter solenoid... simply because the handlebar switch is Not strong enough to carry the current to fire the solenoid.. it can easily fire the relay..  Possible the second relay is Not used in your application..

These are obviously generalizations... but..I usually wire the Ignition First...then the Starter circuit, and lights, including signals Last!!

Hope this helps even a little

Motokofe,

Go to the IMZ Ural website and under support you can pull up the wiring diagram for the bike.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58c1ef5abf629ab8bade3657/t/58c8409259cc68a6d756d1e6/1489519331730/2013+-+2008+Wiring+Diagram.pdf

It looks like one relay is the starter relay and the other is the lockout relay that won't let the starter relay engage if the alternator is charging.  At least that is what it looks like at first glance.

Also the flasher is up under the headlight on these creatures is the socket for it should be 2 or  3 feet from the start solenoid.

Thank you Wooden Nickel. According to the wire diagram you referenced, the second relay has the wire colors and plug matching the turn relay…but it’s right next to the starter relay (pic below).  I only have two plugs on the whole harness instead of three and it’s driving me nuts trying to figure out how and where to add the third. Perhaps I’m only missing the starter lock-out relay. 

70292C4C-4EDC-4E1C-B5E4-D9BDE6BC5E05.jpeg

I’m working on a project bike that didn’t have a harness at all. I’ve got this harness with no relays plugged into it. However these are the only two plugs relays can plug into on the whole harness. The brown red and blue wires for the one plug has colors that match the turn signal relay on the wiring diagram—but I this plug is side by side for the starter relay. 

It appears that you have a butchered wiring harness then.  If you want to use this harness, I don't know any other way than using a test probe ( meter, beeper, or light ) and then finding and labeling both ends of each wire.  If you start with the ignition and starter wires, at least you can get it running.  Also if the harness is off the bike now, it is much easier to ring out the wires.  If it were mine, I would add the wires to return it to stock, but that is me.

3 hours ago, Wooden Nickel said:

It appears that you have a butchered wiring harness then.  If you want to use this harness, I don't know any other way than using a test probe ( meter, beeper, or light ) and then finding and labeling both ends of each wire.  If you start with the ignition and starter wires, at least you can get it running.  Also if the harness is off the bike now, it is much easier to ring out the wires.  If it were mine, I would add the wires to return it to stock, but that is me.

Agree.. only way I'm afraid..