Well that plan didn't work very well!

Over the last year-and-a-bit I built up a 650 Ural with all the info I've learned since I started playing with these infernal machines in 2002. This was to be the last....the one that would keep me going for the next 100 years. Life, what happens when you are making other plans - J Lennon. And then I'm "invited" to buy a 750. Electric start (for my now geriatric knees) and ALL the extras. All for a price impossible to refuse. So here we go again. Don't know that much about the 750 so I'll be in here a bit more often no doubt. In a way it's a pity as the 650 is turning out to be a very sweet bike with a decent turn of speed. Mikuni TM28, Chang Jiang pistons and a special exhaust helped out. The 750 needs a new exhaust so I'll be cobling up a similar one for it. Carbs will remain CVK32  for the moment while I see if they are any good. The heads will get my usual magic. I don't like the look of the air filter so that may get junked and replaced with a Dnepr one. Seen this done and it looked quite neat with a straighter run at the carbs and better foot clearance. The electrics will get an overhaul and simplification. Hopefully this will be the last one. The 650 will soon be up for sale but I'm having far too much fun in the snow here at the moment so I'll add "eventually". And it's called Viggo!

Congratulations on your new project.  What year is your 750?  

I had a 2006 for 8 years and except for a hesitation when I was too quick on the throttle, I thought the CVKs did well.  Since I had to run high speed for a distance sometimes, I ran a little rich on the mains.  It has been almost 8 years since I had that bike so I have forgotten much but I loved that bike enough to get a new 2014 and this spring I plan on getting a 2022.

Enjoy your new toy.  Many happy kilometres ahead. 

I've owned my Retro for a bit over 17 years and the CVKs have only needed cleaning out a couple of times. No new parts on them, still the original diaphragms. I can't see any reason to change them out for anything else.

Have fun with your new ride!

Yeah, I read that. The papers say 2005 but it has stuff from the 2007 model so I'm a bit confused. I'll be taking a closer look at the bike this week when the parts come for the special exhaust. I'll post pictures of this. It was very successful on the 650. Basically two pipes into a resonance chamber as on 80's Honda twins exiting into some Aliexpress generic oval cans. Quiet and free breathing. Oh, and quite cheap.

Parts often get swapped out over the life of the bike and if a newer design will fit older bikes Ural only stocks the newer version. This may account for some of the discrepancies you noted.

PS on the CVKs - they tolerate the ethanol well. At rallies I've seen some of the Russian carbs fail due to the ethanol.

Thanks, that's good to know. I've had quite a problem with getting hoses that tolerate this crap. I've also noticed that there are a lot of chinese made CVK32 on Aliexpress. The repair kits might be a good source of alternative needles and jets for a bit of experimenting. I've had a lot of good experience with stuff from Aliepress, obviously there have been some disappointments too. At present I'm running some Mikuni TM28s on the 650. They needed a different needle (5L1 working well at present) and a #195 main jet. Once I've got the adjustment finalized I'll put it in the technical section. This is the best carb set up I've had so far although I haven't done a fuel consumption test yet. And I hopr your Missus is keeping well Vance.

Good to hear. Was down the club today and started looking over the bike. The boys in the club have had a play before me and pointed out some electrical problems. There are a few of them that are a wee bit jealous of the bike. I changed out a couple of relays and fixed most of the problems. I'll remove and strip the carbs tomorrow. I've been told it has been rejetted so it will be interesting to see what is in there. This should take me until the bends for the exhaust system arrive. Just to make sure I've got no spare time this winter I'm also building a 650 Ural engine and fixing up a Ducati 999 for racing!