Badly warped rims + Possibly misaligned rear wheel

Trinidad

Have no pictures currently but there's numerous bent and flattened bits on my rims. Solo bike so 2 wheels. Where can I get new replacements which do not need refurbishing? Residing in the UK.

As for the rear wheel, I think it's misaligned. Pictures should be uploaded by tomorrow. Because it's in the corner of my garage near some gym equipment it's hard to tell, but it seems that either the rear wheel or the rear fender is misaligned to the left or right a bit. Currently I am working from front to back with my things that need done on the bike but I think these are priority because it could greatly affect the ride of the motorcycle.

Russian rims are horrible. You can find used and buy on-line but you may get a rim that's just as bad or even worse than the ones you have now. I used a press to straighten the side to side run out my rims had but the flat spots usually found where the rims are welded together are there to stay. What I did was true my rims as close as I could without the tire on the rim and ignored the flat spots. Then I mounted a tire on the rim and put it on my motorcycle balancing tool which I also used to check the rims for true. The tire will find a happy placement on the rim and sort of offset the flat spots. Turn the tire and adjust the spokes so the tire is running as true as possible on the poorly made rims. I know it sounds bad but it's all you can do without spending a small fortune buying good quality rims and the shipping that goes along with that. Then you'll need to balance the tire/rim because it will need it very much due to the rim run out just to get a true running tire that will not bounce going down the road.    

On 6/18/2021 at 3:16 AM, Scott E said:

Russian rims are horrible. You can find used and buy on-line but you may get a rim that's just as bad or even worse than the ones you have now. I used a press to straighten the side to side run out my rims had but the flat spots usually found where the rims are welded together are there to stay. What I did was true my rims as close as I could without the tire on the rim and ignored the flat spots. Then I mounted a tire on the rim and put it on my motorcycle balancing tool which I also used to check the rims for true. The tire will find a happy placement on the rim and sort of offset the flat spots. Turn the tire and adjust the spokes so the tire is running as true as possible on the poorly made rims. I know it sounds bad but it's all you can do without spending a small fortune buying good quality rims and the shipping that goes along with that. Then you'll need to balance the tire/rim because it will need it very much due to the rim run out just to get a true running tire that will not bounce going down the road.    

Sounds like it might be quite hectic to sort out. Do you think that perhaps professional classic bike shops do this sort of thing? There's one or two near me that could deal with it.

I'd say they would be happy to sell you a high quality rim at a high quality price. I don't think they would even touch your old rims due to liability issues. If they repaired your old rim and it broke while you were riding it..... I just live with my crummy old poor Russian rims. 3 are not too bad but one is very bad so I keep it as the spare wheel on the sidecar. It's there "just in case" but when I rotate tires I dismount the tire on it and swap it out with a worn tire. I did consider making a jig for my press to bend that flattened area but the rim is welded right in the middle of it and so I fear what the outcome of doing that would be. Instead of a bad rim that is usable it would become scrap metal. 

• 1 month later...

I bought new powder coated rims and spokes from Henriksson.ee. Can't remember what it cost but I do remember he was bringing them into Estonia from the UK.  Excellent finish, not a scratch to this day.  One of the four rims had a bit of an irregular surface where the seams are welded but honestly still very good quality.

The original rims were so corroded bending was out of the question.  Scary.   
ND

I have bought from Ural Zentrale rims for M72 and these are made for 4mm spokes but I manged to put them on Dnepr brake hubs by enlarging the niple holes. The rims are good enough but I recomend these rims only for paved roads only because the material is thinner then the russian rims.