Newbie new project

It appears to be a K750. KMZ randomized serial numbers so captured motorcycle serial numbers including those on transmissions, engines, and frames, would not reveal any information like types of motorcycles produced and the number of motorcycles manufactured. Originally KMZ products were limited to domestic and approved foreign military sales. They continued that practice despite asking for and receiving permission to sell to civilian's and to countries that allowed import or Russian motorcycles and motor vehicles. That means those serial numbers you provided contain no useful information. Canada was one of those countries that allowed importation and sales of Russian Vehicles and Motorcycles. The USA did not allow importation of Russian vehicles and Motorcycles until 1992 after the collapse of the Soviet Union. As a result KMZ and IMZ motorcycles located in Canada started finding their way into the USA so we could register and legally operate them on our roads and highways.

On 10/22/2020 at 7:47 AM, racepres said:

^^ Yup, My Dnepr came out of Canado as an Assembled Vehicle.. Tho it was Pretty obviously a "Package"..

Arbalet Motorcycles is still exporting KMZ motorcycles along with "vintage" Russian cars and Trucks on a separate website to the USA. They have a warehouse in Nebraska where they have completely restored (or I think new) KMZ Dnepr motorcycles with 800cc boxer engines and 5 speed with reverse transmissions.  Even stranger is the engine block features an improved lube oil system and a spin on oil filter eliminating the centrifugal oil filter behind the timing cover.  Apparently, KMZ is producing motorcycle parts again on the sly. KMZ did not limit itself to just motorcycles so they remained in business, they just stopped motorcycle production. Vintage Russian Iron is popular again in Russia. People are dragging that old iron out of barns and sheds and restoring them creating a huge market for parts, which is being filled from somewhere if not KMZ. An example are replacement K750 side valve cylinders and heads. Suddenly what was unobtainable in the recent past is now in plentiful supply. I think KMZ is producing limited numbers of modernized Dnepr motorcycles to fill a void while claiming they are restored vintage motorcycles thus bypassing import regulations and environmental requirements in many countries where they were sold both before and then after the collapse of the Soviet Union. Arbalet has a Dnepr they call "Desert Storm" in their Nebraska warehouse I've been thinking of ordering. It has the new 800cc engine, 5 speed with reverse transmission, and what appears to be a Ural 2-wheel drive locking differential final drive with a shaft going to the sidecar wheel. I don't really care for 2-wheel drive. If it was a single wheel drive like my Dnepr MT-11 I would already have purchased it and pay to ship it to the trucking company dock close to me.

Beware of static Arbalet ads for Dneprs that have been posted for years without selling, especially apparently ‘rebuilt’ Dneprs......that rig has mismatched hubs from different eras and cheap Arbalet replacement parts in the photos, who knows what’s underneath. I’d want a complete photo history and parts listing but you can be sure China will figure in the tally.  I’d run a mile.  Sorry for preaching....

My Dnepr MT-16 has the spin on oil filter. Though registered as a 2000 model, papers I found in the trunk indicate that it was built in 1998. Ramco offered a spin-on oil filter kit for older engines, it included a new crankshaft as well as the aluminum casting with the oil filter holder.

In 2007, when KMZ stopped building Dneprs, they were not manufacturing any new parts, everything was assembled from parts in inventory, they even bought back an order of about fifty new motorcycles that they had sold to a company in Romania. They had offered those Romanian bikes to RAMCO, but Lloyd Lounsbury, RAMCO's owner, researched the Romanian bikes and found that they had been stored outside for years and were in poor shape, so he said no to that deal. KMZ told Lloyd that they had lost the tooling for the toaster tank so they couldn't sell him any new gas tanks.

I visited the KMZ factory in 2003, it was enormous, a small walled city inside the city of Kiev. Only a portion of the factory was dedicated to making motorcycles, they refurbished tanks and other tracked vehicles there also. The property was worth more than the business that was there, so it was sold off.  

On 10/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, Wickermann said:

I have just bought this, I believe it is a 1965 KMZ K-750. Has a VIN plate on the headstock which is in poor condition but does show frame number 53613. The engine number is r22653.

Has manual advance and retard and reverse gear.

What have I got?

You have a K750 whit short frame that is matching the rear two piece fender and M72 style foot brake lever. It looks like a bike made from parts, the gearbox is the right one but it does not have reverse gear, only Dnepr gearbox had reverse gear. The exhaust is not for K750, it has Dnepr pipes and muffler from other brand. Take care for the rear shocks, they are hard to find and you have the original K750 shocks.

Put some more pics, this way we can tell if parts are not correct.

• 3 months later...

I'd judge you have a pretty consistent K750, and a lot of fun ahead of you.

Invest in a set of metric 'fine' taps and dies in 8mm and 10mm; reuse or repair as much as you can of the original parts (except maybe the bolts - I've eaten harder cheese than what the factory used for this) Learning how to make control cables properly with new good quality housing, wire and nipples attached with Tinmans solder will be an advantage.

Modern replacement parts are often very poor quality - difficult to assess over the internet - be prepared to rework just about everything coming from further East than Poland. I found 25% is too bad to use even then.

It's not all pain, though, and I've had a lot of fun bringing my '79 Dnepr back to life over eighteen months, including building the machine 'right' for the first time in it's life. Once you have it properly sorted and on the road again, you'll find riding it's not for the shy.

Enjoy!