Can’t get it started. Ural Dalesman (2004)

IanT

Hi everyone 

Just recommissioning my outfit from about five years ago everything going well got fuel in carbs, new battery, was running fine when I put it up but now I can’t get it started. 

Even put it on the car battery it will turn but not fire did get a few splutters out of the left pot. 

Don’t want to churn it over for too long each time. 

Anyone got any ideas please. 

Kind regards

Ian

If it was running fine when you put it away I don’t suspect the timing changed  or compression was lost while it was stored. If you have spark, compression and fresh fuel in the carburetor bowls it should want to start unless the jets and/or mixture ports are fouled.  After five years of sitting I’d focus on ensuring clean carburetors.

45 minutes ago, dowey said:

Make sure there's there's the full voltage at the ignition ..some of them won't fire if lower than 12 ...good luck 

12vdc is Never enough...

on any flooded cell 12vdc lead acid battery

12.6v+ is 100% charged,   12.3v is 50% charged, so 12.0v is Dead!!!  a digital Multimeter, is an Invaluable tool...

A 2004 bike came with electronic ignition, specifically one with a "hockey puck" of aluminum mounted ahead of the front timing cover. It should have an LED on it to let you know it's firing.

The spark plugs are wired in series with each other, if one has fouled enough the spark just goes to the other plug and normally it won't burn off the carbon on the dead one.

But, as stated, the most likely culprit is in the fuel system. Check the rubber mounts where the carbs attach to the engine, these are known to crack with time and will let air leak in, making it too lean to start and run. Since it's been sitting this is a good candidate for your failure.

If fuel was in the carbs at shutdown, it will evaporate and leave a residue that can clog things.

Also, I don't know if they add alcohol to the fuel in the UK but even if not if it has old gasoline in the tank the additives can evaporate/break down making the gasoline hard to ignite.

Best of luck on your project!

8 minutes ago, racepres said:

12vdc is Never enough...

on any flooded cell 12vdc lead acid battery

12.6v+ is 100% charged,   12.3v is 50% charged, so 12.0v is Dead!!!  a digital Multimeter, is an Invaluable tool...

Oh deff, i had similar problems with my 05 dalesman and if the battery was showing 12.5 but was showing anything below 12 at the ignition unit, then it wouldn't start ..it was usually duff wiring to blame and vigorous fiddling about with the wiring usually found the culprit hahaha 

1 hour ago, Vance Blosser said:

A 2004 bike came with electronic ignition, specifically one with a "hockey puck" of aluminum mounted ahead of the front timing cover. It should have an LED on it to let you know it's firing.

The spark plugs are wired in series with each other, if one has fouled enough the spark just goes to the other plug and normally it won't burn off the carbon on the dead one.

But, as stated, the most likely culprit is in the fuel system. Check the rubber mounts where the carbs attach to the engine, these are known to crack with time and will let air leak in, making it too lean to start and run. Since it's been sitting this is a good candidate for your failure.

If fuel was in the carbs at shutdown, it will evaporate and leave a residue that can clog things.

Also, I don't know if they add alcohol to the fuel in the UK but even if not if it has old gasoline in the tank the additives can evaporate/break down making the gasoline hard to ignite.

Best of luck on your project!

Sounds like an Ignition I would Replace!!!

Thanks so much everyone 

Schoolboy error I am afraid went through everything and rechecked every connection plus changed the plugs, still wouldn’t fire up. 

Battery reading 12 volts. Stupid me thought that was enough. New battery fired straight up. 

So thanks for all your advice it all worked out in the end. 

Cheers

Ian

The spark plugs in series setup has been used for decades by dozens of manufacturers including Harley Davidson. Many automotive engines used it in the time after distributors went away and before the coil for each spark plugs became the norm.

3 hours ago, Vance Blosser said:

The spark plugs in series setup has been used for decades by dozens of manufacturers including Harley Davidson. Many automotive engines used it in the time after distributors went away and before the coil for each spark plugs became the norm.

I have a Typical 5ohm Harley coil on my Dnepr... even with one plug fouled or the line grounded, or the Plug removed... the other still fires just Fine...If the fouled plug has the Cap lifted to jump the Spark... it will fire and burn off any Carbon quickly..  so... wired in Series??? Maybe on the output side of the Step up transformer... but, ...  "won't burn Carbon off of dead one", is decidedly not the case!!! Works just like a Single fire setup... fouled plugs Normally do Not come back on their own.. Some intervention is Required... lifting the cap is the simple-est