M66 kickstart not engaging

Hi, quick rundown. previous owners unfinished project and i know nothing about previous work done. having said that, someone has put a lot of work into this bike. the engine runs, sounds good and has obviously been worked on. About a week ago i tried the kickstart and it was locked up. TDC i assume. put in gear, rocked the back wheel and it freed up. turned her over a couple of times and all seemed good. yesterday tried kickstart and its not turning the engine. I've never had the engine apart except for playing with top end so can't understand why it's suddenly not engaging. any ideas please

post-51466-0-25968200-1595492283_thumb.jpg

Was it stuck when you rocked it (resisted being turned) or did it turn easily when pushing? If so I think your problem is with the kickstarter mechanism itself.

You can test this by pulling the clutch and kicking it then - if it moves freely it's not the kickstarter.

Hi Vance, thanks for the quick reply. there was resistance, but after rocking it freed up and then i kicked it over a couple of times and it all seemed fine. left it for a week and now there is no resistance on the kickstart, lever goes down, shaft turns. it just seems strange that this has happened without it being touched since the last time really think i am going to end up taking the gearbox out but wanted other opinions before i break the spanners out

'Sounds to me like a gearbox removal issue.

I have no idea why this changed while you were gone.

Perhaps a cry for attention...

RussN

'Sounds to me like a gearbox removal issue.

I have no idea why this changed while you were gone.

Perhaps a cry for attention...

RussN

The ratchet teeth are probably worn down and all it took to finish them off was that last start where the shaft overruns them as soon as it starts but your foot is still on the kick start lever until you take your foot off it. Those teeth do wear a tiny bit every time the engine is started during the time the engine has started and your foot is still holding the kick start lever down. Thankfully Ural and Dnepr gear boxes are dirt simple and easy to work on. Seal and gasket kits are inexpensive too. I don't think the kits come with a new buffer bar, which should be replaced while your in the gear box even if it's not broken (yet). Every time you release the kick start lever it slams that buffer bar when it returns to it's resting position.

It is a good way to get to know the bike and can’t hurt to have a look at gearbox components in case a bit of attention is due here.

Your problem might actually not be a problem. The lack of engagement is inherent to Dnepr gearboxes and I assume your gearbox is of similar design to mine. In fact, the MT10 owner’s manual states that the motorcycle should be rocked back and forth when this occurs to change the relative position of the kick lever quadrant gear and shaft gear when this occurs.

It happens to me 50 percent of the time. Theses gears are roughly machined - I’ve tried hand filing to a smooth lead in but no real improvement. Let me know if you get over this but the point is you may just have to live with it.

Best of luck. ND.

did wonder whether it could just be one of the bikes foibles. dropped the oil from the box and it looks like rusty water with no oilike qualities. from the outside all the seals and shafts look in very good order, almost as though the gearbox has been rebuilt. i bought this bike as an unfinished project about 4 years ago and have only now got the time to work on it. the guy i bought it off was not the one who started the project and knew little of its origins. it looks to me as though whoever started it was very thorough and started at the front. the front end is sweet with new shoes and a perfect drum on rebuilt and stoved wheels. 12v electrics new whitewall tyres just loads of good stuff. as i move towards the rear things become more bodged, the work of another less careful hand, badly set up rear brake and a poorly aligned flexible joint. going to try and dismantle the box today, wish me luck!