DNEPR 650 1972 Headlight conversion

archiemarc13

Help...I didn't think that I was quite as stupid as it appears I am, but I can't seem to attach any photo's to my posts. Even a single photo is too big for the site. It has occurred to me that photo files can be compressed, but hell I can't make it work.. :blush2:

Use any photo [JPG] editing software...even yer phone, to change image Size!!!

• 10 months later...
On 2/18/2020 at 4:46 AM, Vance Blosser said:

Glad I could be of any help. I finally remembered where I got a headlight once... https://classicgarage.com/neolitelamps.html

This will give you some more options.

Thank you for this link! I've been looking to replace the Russian headlight with it's rather poor 45/40 R2 or p45t type bulb with a headlight that takes the far more common halogen H4 bulbs. Every headlight I found on amazon did not have the 4 watt bulb that lights up with the middle position on the off/park/on headlight switch or the position marker lights that come on when the key switch is in the third position and allows the key to be removed. I know some places require parking or position marking lights be on when parking in some places like street side parking which is why the original headlight has that 4 watt bulb in addition to the headlight bulb and I would like to retain that function.  I found this headlight from your link, which will be perfect. https://classicgarage.com/ne7herewdaru.html Back in the late 70's I had a Datsun B210 Hatchback with Cibie Z-Beam headlamps, which were awesome! If they are copy’s of the original Z-beams, which I suspect they are, it will be very nice to have on my Dnepr. I'll be getting a 35/35 watt H4 bulb for it as well because of the lower current draw. That's less than the 45 watt draw of the R2 stock bulb for about the same light output. I'm still running a G-424 alternator with it's puny 150 watt output and I'm not sure how it would react to having a standard 55/60 watt H4 bulb hooked up to it along with all the other bulbs that are running as well.  

• 3 weeks later...

I use P45ts although the candlepower is pretty poor, they are only a few bucks.  I recently tested an H4,  note with a little work you can use an H4 in a P45t headlamp holder by swapping the wider base off the P45t to the H4 bulb.  The connector is the same as we know. ND

Moto Sancho on Youtube published a video about a 7 inch LED projector headlight that fits a Dnepr headlight ring. I don't speak Russian but he's pretty good at getting his points across so if you watch closely you'll get what he's doing and don't need to understand anything he's saying. I found that headlight on (USA market) Amazon with the Yeego brand name. On high beam it's 40 watts and on low beam it's 30 watts so obviously it's not going to consume more than the p45t or R2 bulb used in the original soviet made headlight. Nearly all of the other 7 inch LED headlights I found are rated at 75 or more watts so they don't cause CANBUS errors on modern vehicles that get mad at you if you make changes to the factory designs. It comes with a CANBUS adaptor but it's not required on older stuff like our Soviet Steeds. Nearly all the reviews give it high ratings but one review said the low beam quit working after a few days. I'm thinking seriously about ordering one and using it on my Dnepr.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J39V51M/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2XVD66QLVAEFN&psc=1