DNEPR 650 1972 Headlight conversion

archiemarc13

Hi new to the forum....together with my friend, we aim to return a 70's piece of Russian Iron back to the road, where it belongs and love the simplicity of the sidecar outfit. Keeping it 6V and ignition pointed, I am sorting the electrics whilst Tony the body work. Today we got our new, age related, reg number. And I am refurbishing the indicators using new bulb holders, LEDs and an electronic flasher unit, into the original DENPR cases and lenses. Wiring the indicators on a separate loom of it own, via its own fuse, which incorporates a loop of earths as opposed to using the cases as earths.

Enough waffle....As replacement headlight bulbs are expensive and fairly ineffectual I wondered if there is a different glass and LED bulb unit that would fit into our original headlamp housing.

Thank You.

https://www.amazon.com/Motor-Motorcycle-Headlight-6500K-Conversion/dp/B07D9R6Q7N

H4 bulbs have the same 3 prong connector most older headlight bulbs used so they are easy to connect. You'll have to measure your headlamp to make sure the lens/reflector will fit. Amazon has others.

Another good source is automotive restoration suppliers but they will likely be more expensive, but they offer some options such as a combo headlight/foglight with separate bulbs that fit into standard housings. It depends on the look and functionality you are going for.

I have a 2004 Retro which came with a Hella headlight. I replaced the H4 bulb with a Phillips LED bulb. I used a Neolite on my 2000 Tourist (since sold) and a halogen bulb as LED headlights hadn't appeared yet.

I suspect the Dnepr headlight is 7 inches, the Urals are, but measure before you buy.

I run LEDs on all of my lamps.

Retro's do look good Vance and you're correct the DNEPR headlamp is 7in....The old style Austin Mini motorcars used 7in, there is plenty on EBAY...Just out of interest, ours is a 1972 650 MT9 and there are a couple of good things about restoring such an old bike in the UK....All vehicles pay road tax,approx, £100 a year and have an MOT road worthy test £30, and fix any problems they find, per year. Pre 1980's don't need either...Pre 1980's bikes can use the old style black and white number plates and have the sidecar on the right hand side as per original too...Bored yet. :cool:

Not bored. I was aware of the MOT exemption for older vehicles and the sidecar allowance but didn't know the year. Virginia has an annual inspection of all vehicles but it's $15 US and on my vehicles it's basically a safety check - tires, brakes, no rusted through floors or broken windows, etc.

Our road tax is on the fuel. Our county does have an annual property tax on vehicles but on older stuff it's very small as it's based on value.

Our license plates are provided by the state, you can't use another source.

My 67 MB-750 used sealed beam so I needed a bulb and reflector solution..I went with a 6VH4 LED using a conversion headlight. Fit perfectly in the original headlamp. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OMEPEU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Restoring a 1956 M72 right now, will end up using similiar setup.

Hey Vance Running a motorcycle seems a little more relaxed there :cool: Attached a couple of photo's showing the retro number plate I was telling you about. There a good quality, pressed aluminium, raised up letter plate and style. Also got the original logbook from the Ukraine. And I inherited a fair amount of eastern block rust.

Thanks to you Bri for the headlight info.